Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That's a common oversimplification - and I hear it too often from PASSHE schools. I can tell you with some pretty strong authority that PASSHE schools are probably too conservative with their interpretation of Title IX. If someone gives $5 million for football its in the school's best interest to find creative uses for that money like a coaching endowment, equipment, facilities, etc. Title IX compliance only matters if its challenged via complaint so schools need to have a pretty good reason why things don't align with gender breakdown. I have a hard time believing that a court would fault a school from accepting big money that decreases the cost of attendance for students regardless of gender...but then again PASSHE employees are the kings and queens of pettiness so anything is possible. Do you think the women's swimming coach at Penn State is going to sue because she doesn't get paid like James Franklin? Do you think that would hold up? Probably not.

My understanding of this donation was that the $5 million is for men's revenue sports and the second $5 million is to help with the Title IX balance. I could be wrong because I got that from someone at BU outside athletics.
    Especially since women outnumber men in college these days.

If a donor directs money to, for example, football scholarships, it has to be used as such. Usually such direction can be offset by reallocating the general athletic scholarship fund. So if general athletic scholarships are 10 male and 10 female, then 6 new football scholarships are endowed, the general athletic scholarship fund will be divided 7 male and 13 female.

Each institution's Foundation will try to direct it to make equity easier, but ultimately the donor decides.

Comment

I'd be shocked if any PASSHE school hasn't received a $1 million gift.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Interesting topic. I'm not sure about the dynamic, however. I can speak for IUP and say 100 percent surely that scholarship money, as a whole, is not divided equally.

Think of a pie ... football and the two basketball programs get about 7.5 of the 8 slices. The last half piece gets divided among all the other 'non-revenue' sports.
        That would explain why IUP is average or below average in the other 14 varsity sports on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post

That would explain why IUP is average or below average in the other 14 varsity sports on campus.
          Correct. They (non-revenue) are treated as enrollment boosters.

Except men's golf. They dominate that sport.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Correct. They (non-revenue) are treated as enrollment boosters.

Except men's golf. They dominate that sport.
            True. I forgot about the men's golf program.

Comment

I'd be shocked if any PASSHE school hasn't received a $1 million gift.
              Can you provide some context for this comment?

Comment

My understanding of this donation was that the $5 million is for men's revenue sports and the second $5 million is to help with the Title IX balance. I could be wrong because I got that from someone at BU outside athletics.
                That seems credible. What does Bloom athletics need more than anything?

Answer: A bailout on their Title IX problems. Title IX problems have hamstrung the male revenue sports.

This gift does that and at the same time helps the male revenue sports. Exactly what Bloom needs.

Comment

Would $20 Million be enough to re-name the school? Steph Petit University of PA...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Can you provide some context for this comment?
                    If we go beyond Athletics, then I can find everyone but Cheyney and Mansfield - but I think I recall a big gift for Mansfield's music department unless I'm thinking of the WCU gift.

Bloomsburg

California

Cheyney

Clarion

East Stroudsburg

Edinboro

Indiana

Kutztown

Lock Haven

Mansfield

Millersville

Shippensburg

Slippery Rock

West Chester

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                      Would $20 Million be enough to re-name the school? Steph Petit University of PA...LOL
                      There is a legend that Angelo Armenti was scolded by the state for soliciting a university name-changing gift from Chuck Eberly.

The standard seems to be $100 million - a gift for that much in 1992 changed Glassboro State College in New Jersey to Rowan College.

Comment

If we go beyond Athletics, then I can find everyone but Cheyney and Mansfield - but I think I recall a big gift for Mansfield's music department unless I'm thinking of the WCU gift.

Bloomsburg

California

Cheyney

Clarion

East Stroudsburg

Edinboro

Indiana

Kutztown

Lock Haven

Mansfield

Millersville

Shippensburg

Slippery Rock

West Chester
                        The West Chester Band did just get a few millions dollars that will barely cover next year's prop budget.

Comment

Press-Enterprise reported "half of the donation will be used to mainly fund scholarships for ....all sports". Bloom's history is to endow scholarships, so probably only the interest on the $5 million will be used for scholarships for "all sports". The average endowment earns about 8% interest, which is where I got 10 scholarships. It could earn more or less.

The president said the donation will support athletes travel, facilities, and scholarships. Half the donation is in a trust, which may be more tricky. I believe the beneficiary can remove that money as needed. Bloom's master plan called for an inflatable indoor dome, like Edinboro. Perhaps some of that money could go there.

Pettit said " OK, who is going to follow? There are a lot of really successful Bloomsburg graduates out there. How many more people can I get to donate?" " He "ultimately hopes the gift will serve as an inspiration for future donors."

Comment

Even with this cash, it still looks like Bloom will still trail IUP and Slimey Pebble on the schollie front for foosball.

Anyone else think this guy might have had a condition to get rid of the coach before he coughed up the money?

Comment

Cheyney

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                                Even with this cash, it still looks like Bloom will still trail IUP and Slimey Pebble on the schollie front for foosball.

Anyone else think this guy might have had a condition to get rid of the coach before he coughed up the money?
                                No. They have been courting him since 2005. He isn't the type to make demands, otherwise he would have designated all money to football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X