Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    There was a UWF poster who came on the PSAC forum last week and assured us that UWF has no interest in moving up to D1.

I have to think that temptation will be hard to resist. Will University of West Florida follow the model of University of Central Florida and University of South Florida?

Pensacola is not Orlando or Tampa; however, I would anticipate a lot of pressure from the community to seek better competition, bring in more people, draw more attention, and, ultimately, bring more $$ into the community.

There is no other collegiate competition for UWF in the local area. I think if they can increase funding and find a conference that's a match they will go sooner or later.

Comment

You don't like Blue Wahoo Stadium?

According to their initial announcement on starting a football program they have plans to build an on-campus stadium. Read that announcement below and see how it's all a university/community enterprise. Winning the NC will only add fuel to the whole thing, IMO.

https://goargos.com/sports/2014/12/1...214145051.aspx

Comment

You don't like Blue Wahoo Stadium?

According to their initial announcement on starting a football program they have plans to build an on-campus stadium. Read that announcement below and see how it's all a university/community enterprise. Winning the NC will only add fuel to the whole thing, IMO.

https://goargos.com/sports/2014/12/1...214145051.aspx
        UWF isn't going D1 anytime soon. D1 means more money and facility expansions/improvements for all teams, etc. All cost money, and UWF doesn't have it like that. Maybe later, but not right now.

Also, and I mentioned this on another thread, Florida had 11 D-1 football programs this fall (RIP Jacksonville) with UF, FSU, and Miami sucking up all of the oxygen. In FL, there are also 7 NAIA schools, 1 juco, but only 2 Div II football programs so the niche works for UWF. Plus D1 South Alabama is only 50 minutes away.

And we recognize that there are many transfers on our team, but we're only four years old. Once we have a footprint for recruiting, there may be fewer transfers overall. Many of these transfers are Floridians coming home, just like Austin Reed.

Comment

Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post
          Also, and I mentioned this on another thread, Florida had 11 D-1 football programs this fall (RIP Jacksonville) with UF, FSU, and Miami sucking up all of the oxygen. In FL, there are also 7 NAIA schools, 1 juco, but only 2 Div II football programs so the niche works for UWF. Plus D1 South Alabama is only 50 minutes away.
          Your statement seems like it justifies why they WOULD go D1.

I will bet you $5 that within 5 years they at least announce a move to D1.

I think that if a school can make a successful move to D1, they do it. That's what I see with UWF.

Why wouldn't that be a goal?

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
            Looks like Curt Cignetti has just taken his James Madison charges to the national title game with a 30-14 win over Weber State this evening. Congrats to him.

-
            People of Harrisonburg now protecting his shoes from mud puddles.

Comment

I think that if a school can make a successful move to D1, they do it. That's what I see with UWF.

Come on man. UWF ain't moving up because its not a goal at UWF. Trust me when I say I know UWF will remain DII for the next several years, mostly for the reasons mentioned earlier. And, if winning the natty in football was a major catalyst for upward movement, NWMSU, Valdosta State, and Grand Valley State would've been DI years ago, but they aren't. Why? Its not a major goal for them, and they like the DII level and being successful at DII. This is UWF's 10th natty (in additional to numerous individual nattys), and we absolutely love the level of success our teams have been able to attain. Not too hard to understand....

This is

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                Looks like Curt Cignetti has just taken his James Madison charges to the national title game with a 30-14 win over Weber State this evening. Congrats to him.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If you had 57 transfers you'd do well, too.

Comment

And you're a typical bandwagon gym teacher. Get over it.

Comment

I just don't see how you can infer "would go D1" from a post about how UWF has a great niche.

They would have to triple their athletic budget.

West Florida has won 10 national championships and has not reclassified. Why is this one different?

Comment

Another angle for you: IUP seems to have a very competitive men's basketball program, and have come close to winning the natty recently. If IUP were to win the natty in basketball, would you expect IUP to make an immediate move to DI? If not, why would UWF do this because of the football natty?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I wish he had done that for us.
                          Coach Cignetti did not stay long enough to fulfill that accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post

Come on man. UWF ain't moving up because its not a goal at UWF. Trust me when I say I know UWF will remain DII for the next several years, mostly for the reasons mentioned earlier. And, if winning the natty in football was a major catalyst for upward movement, NWMSU, Valdosta State, and Grand Valley State would've been DI years ago, but they aren't. Why? Its not a major goal for them, and they like the DII level and being successful at DII. This is UWF's 10th natty (in additional to numerous individual nattys), and we absolutely love the level of success our teams have been able to attain. Not too hard to understand....

This is
                            First, congrats on winning the Natty! Now, I agree with you....I think West Florida will stay at the D-II level for quite a while, because of the reasons you gave. They are only fighting against private university Florida Tech in the state for D-II players. And with a yearly tuition cost at Florida Tech of OVER $40K versus only $6500 for in-state and $19K out of state I think West Florida will win most than their share of recruiting battles. Why just in the waters with 11 other D-I programs!?

Comment

Of course my post was related to the thread topic in that a former PSAC coach (IUP no less) just advanced his team to the national title game. It's good to offer up an IUP angle on every thread if you want people to remain interested in the thread. Without that---the thread bogs down and interest wanes. Don't go getting a big head just because somebody from your phys ed junior college won the HH. Life goes on and like it or not IUP is at the center of the universe.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

People of Harrisonburg now protecting his shoes from mud puddles.
                                May not be for long, pal. The dude may be going places here in January.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X