X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baumgartner retires from Edinboro

Bruce had a great career.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/23602

Bruce did the Edinboro Shuffle over to development a couple years ago. But he put in a lot of work in an office not renovated (or having furniture replaced) since the 80s without complaint. Lord knows I couldn't do that.

Plus he actually lived in town. Very few Edinboro folk outside of Athletics live in greater Edinboro.

Comment

How many athletes have a Gold, a Silver, and a Bronze Olympic medal (outside of swimming and T&F)? And he has 2 Gold ones.

His competitive wrestling career was virtually unparalleled for Americans competing internationally. He is an icon in the sport.

Comment

Bruce even played himself 30 years after the fact in the movie Foxcatcher.

Comment

While living in Tx at the time late 90's, my daughter was recruited to play soccer at EUP. We made the trip up and I met Big B and bought a FB season tkt on the spot from him, knowing I might only make a game or 2 . My daughter ended up going Gannon the next yr. Oh well, I helped EUP's sports fund that yr.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Bruce did the Edinboro Shuffle over to development a couple years ago. But he put in a lot of work in an office not renovated (or having furniture replaced) since the 80s without complaint. Lord knows I couldn't do that.

Plus he actually lived in town. Very few Edinboro folk outside of Athletics live in greater Edinboro.

Comment

I like Bruce. Good guy. Honest. Hard working. But change was needed. That's not a criticism of Bruce. Just needed an injection of freshness. Things got stale (some things still are). I don't care who has the job - that's going to happen 99% of the time when the same person is in charge for 30 years.

Comment

Yeah, and he was the conductor. I wasn't going to go there but, like i said, he was a great wrestler.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Yeah, and he was the conductor. I wasn't going to go there but, like i said, he was a great wrestler.

Comment

There are four decisions I wish Bruce had done differently:

1) Putting a hard surface in the Z Dome instead of artificial turf.

2) Starting women's lacrosse and restarting tennis instead of a combination of other sports that require less scholarship revenue.

3) Extending Scott Browning for two years then firing him months later forcing a nearly $500k payout.

4) Ignoring the university's internal Title IX audit that recommended a raise for the VB coach. His refusal to follow that recommendation led to the lawsuit and the larger payout.

Bruce was a good AD. For years he had to raise a ton of money by himself while managing a difficult department on a campus without a clear understanding of the potential of a thriving D2 athletics program. I'm glad he's sticking around and not moving to Florida or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

4) Ignoring the university's internal Title IX audit that recommended a raise for the VB coach. His refusal to follow that recommendation led to the lawsuit and the larger payout.
                      .. and the recommendation of the University President and the PASSHE Chancellor. Yes, he had a great career as an athlete, coach, and administrator but the ending is a stain that can't be overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                        .. and the recommendation of the University President and the PASSHE Chancellor. Yes, he had a great career as an athlete, coach, and administrator but the ending is a stain that can't be overcome.
                        Is the stain solely the volleyball mess?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Is the stain solely the volleyball mess?
                          I can only offer speculation on that. No proof. No facts. However, I do follow the fortunes of the 4 D1 wrestling programs closely. Primarily Lock Haven but Bloom, Clarion and Edinboro, as well. It's challenging for these 4 unique programs that are in D2 schools but participate in D1 wrestling.

I think it's fair to say (without supporting facts) that Bruce ran a wrestling-centric athletics program. Also, the fact that the highly successful wrestling HC bolted to WVU in advance of the problems is telling. The VB situation was probably reflective of more stuff.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X