Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PASSHE - our alma maters

Read an article on the current generation of high school and college students. Theirs is the generation with the largest percentage growing up as the only child - and the rate is increasing with younger generations. Millennials wanted facilities that matched their homes or the homes they wish they had. Generation Z and younger expect attention and services that provide greater personal attention. That can't be done with technology. Should be an interesting collision.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
      Most telling line:

The economics of lesser demand, a steady supply, and increasing price just do not align. Unless Pennsylvania is going to import 18-year-olds in the next 5 years, then the other two factors will need to change.
      This is why I believe the PASSHE schools should be revamped into multi-faceted regional centers, retaining what's left of their traditional structure but morphing into centers for economic/laborforce/cultural development for the region they serve. As strictly academic institutions the writing is on the wall.

Comment

Comment

Voluntary retirement plan could help cash-strapped Pa. state university system

Comment

This is a good thing. Edinboro had to cut a degree program because every full time faculty member was full professor making $120k with a declining number of students. The department had a $250,000 annual deficit based on their faculty salaries alone before considering benefits and other expenses. The real kicker is that ten years ago the state paid $5M for a new building specifically designed for that one major.

Comment

This sounds optimistic at Cheyney

https://www.phillytrib.com/news/loca...32357ba8e.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                sounds optimistic. But lodged in the middle of the article is the sentence above. So, you need to have skepticism regarding any Cheyney-related material published by The Philadelphia Tribune. In fact, if you put all the other quotes in the article ahead of what the President said the headline changes to something more doubtful. My guess is they will not balance the budget and they will ask for leniency...again.

Comment

Related to this thread was the announcement today that two HC jobs at CALU have opened up and it makes me feel like a significant contraction in the sports offered will be one of the canary in the coal mine indicators that the times are tough and getting tougher. ED DENNY, HC of WOMEN'S SWIMMING for 17 years has apparently resigned, though that hasn't been announced by SI yet. He has run a very nice competitive program that never had the overall strength of say a WCU , but still regularly produced good, and in one case, MELISSA GATES, a great swimmer. This may just be retirement since he is 60, but if swimming goes the way of tennis from the very elite in the country to totally lame, I'd just as soon shut it down. Which won't happen because these sports are needed to balance off scholarships against football. Coincidentally the other position posted was HC of WOMEN'S TENNIS. The collapse of this sport has been stunning. Under PABLO MONTANA, the team was 228-72 , winning PSAC on a regular basis, and competing against the best from across the country at the national tournament. In the three years since he left the record is 9-24 and again I'd say please end the embarrassment. This will be the 4th coach in 4 years which is awful. This season's HC and VOLUNTEER ASST never bothered to post their picture. Truly sad days.

Comment

Good news out of Harrisburg: https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...-21-years.html

Three positive signs:

1) Things are changing. Nothing big and visible but the "redesign" will be great and hopefully avoid any closures or mergers.

2) The Chancellor is making HUGE progress with the faculty union. They're ahead on negotiating a new contract that seems fair to both sides (from what I've heard).

3) Cheyney seems to be turning a corner. Enrollment is still down but their admissions profile is up significantly. It helps when you lose half your students but increase the honors enrollment.

Comment

Good news out of Harrisburg: https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/0...-21-years.html

Three positive signs:
                      1) Things are changing. Nothing big and visible but the "redesign" will be great and hopefully avoid any closures or mergers.
                      2) The Chancellor is making HUGE progress with the faculty union. They're ahead on negotiating a new contract that seems fair to both sides (from what I've heard).
                      3) Cheyney seems to be turning a corner. Enrollment is still down but their admissions profile is up significantly. It helps when you lose half your students but increase the honors enrollment.
                      The schools are merging into one identity. So, you can now take courses offered by system schools other than the one you attend. How many courses? Will you soon be able to be enrolled in Kutztown and earn a degree from Shippensburg?

I think soon there will be no more bragging about going to one school over another. It will be one big monolith with 14 different physical locations. School pride will be nonexistent, eventually. Just sayin'.

Comment

REPUBLICAN POLITICS FOREVER... Democrats know nothing about anything!

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                          The schools are merging into one identity. So, you can now take courses offered by system schools other than the one you attend. How many courses? Will you soon be able to be enrolled in Kutztown and earn a degree from Shippensburg?

I think soon there will be no more bragging about going to one school over another. It will be one big monolith with 14 different physical locations. School pride will be nonexistent, eventually. Just sayin'.
                          The backup of the system!?!?! What does that mean?

Comment

Three positive signs:

That should be the result when a wise kid, like the one in this article, gets free tuition funded by the state taxpayers.

$4M in money from Pa. to make college free for more Cheyney students

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

My understanding is that if you can't take it at your current school (not offered or it's full) you will be able to take the same course or its equivalent at another system school.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X