Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I think a lot of factors are at work here other than the commuter thing. One particular area that has hurt is the lack of a nursing program at Ship, which steps are being taken to address. We are now up to five engineering majors and are starting to see a return on that, actually some of them from the western part of the state. A new engineering lab is schedule for completion by next September. I'm not sure why the 45 minutes from the western shore seems like two-and-a-half hours to you. It doesn't seem that way at all to me. Hell, I can be to Philadelphia or most of the way to Pittsburgh in two-and-a-half hours. And in fact some of our biggest county growth in recent years has come from Philadelphia and Montgomery counties, which are more convenient to West Chester and Millersville than to Ship. In Lancaster County, PSU is probably hurting Millersville more than Ship. With our addition of several engineering programs, I see little other than the aforementioned nursing that the PSU campus offers that is not offered at Ship, employment-related or otherwise.

Certainly, the Penn State campuses are a problem for many of the state schools. The biggest problem in Pa. increasingly is too much college capacity for a declining number of college students. By allowing a state-related system to basically expand into the areas of the state-owned system while performing many of the same functions, our legislators have certainly contributed to this. And, of course, Penn State has a bigger name and reputation than the state schools, probably deserved in some areas and not so much in others. Guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

Penn State is probably one of the biggest factors here. Lots of kids will go to a place like PSU Mont Alto or PSU Berks. But when they graduate they will say they graduated from PSU.

Not exactly a lie, but a PSU education opens more doors.

Comment

• https://www.inquirer.com/education/p...-20200214.html

Comment

• So many maddening items in that article

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

So many maddening items in that article
          After spending a year and a bunch of money “building consensus “ you just do what the accountants say anyway

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X