X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheyney Gets a Temporary Life Line

https://www.philly.com/education/che...-20190228.html

Re: Cheyney Gets a Temporary Life Line

Glad to see that Greenstein is a realist and appears to be bringing the hammer down on Cheyney, regardless of what the CU advocates say. My impression is that he sees it as his job to actually deal with the problem and is ready to follow through.

Comment

This article was posted today as well. https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...81b84929f.html

Comment

Cheyney Gets a Temporary Life Line

Reality is that they may have to see if they can partner with West Chester where there is a shuttle between the campuses and Cheyney students take some of their credits over at WCU without WCU having to admit them fully.
        Last edited by IUPNation; 02-28-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
          Reality is that they may have to see if they can partner with West Chester where there is a shuttle between the campuses and Cheyney students take some of the credit over at WCU without WCU having to admit them fully.
          That makes too much sense for the Commonwealth to ever put that into action. While we all know that's the most feasible option if you just have to preserve the campus, they'll continue to dump cash into dead soil and repeat hiring incompetents to mange the funds. If they just want to keep Cheyney as an higher education institution turn it into a trade school or junior college for those kids who don't qualify for admission into WCU/IUP/Kutztown the larger state schools. Do 2 years graduate with an associates and get guaranteed admission into one of those 3 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
            That makes too much sense for the Commonwealth to ever put that into action. While we all know that's the most feasible option if you just have to preserve the campus, they'll continue to dump cash into dead soil and repeat hiring incompetents to mange the funds. If they just want to keep Cheyney as an higher education institution turn it into a trade school or junior college for those kids who don't qualify for admission into WCU/IUP/Kutztown the larger state schools. Do 2 years graduate with an associates and get guaranteed admission into one of those 3 schools.
            Why not gain admission to schools that need students, not necessarily the largest? Perhaps they could gain admission to the most selective of the state schools. The larger state schools in order are WCU, IUP, Bloom, and SRU.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
              Why not gain admission to schools that need students, not necessarily the largest? Perhaps they could gain admission to the most selective of the state schools. The larger state schools in order are WCU, IUP, Bloom, and SRU.
              If one can't gain admission in to IUP right now they may want to consider a different path. Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                Which is another reason why it doesn't make any sense to shuttle Cheyney students to West Chester for classes. WCU isn't looking for students to fill empty classrooms these days.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  If one can't gain admission in to IUP right now they may want to consider a different path. Just sayin'
                  unfortunately, your mostly right about that. But . . . many Cheyney students will struggle at most other state system schools. Its that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    This article was posted today as well. https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...81b84929f.html
                    And here's one from The Philadelphia Tribune. Robert Bogle is a Cheyney alum and Chairman of the Cheyney Board of Trustees. He is also President and CEO of The Philadelphia Tribune.

https://www.phillytrib.com/news/loca...b856be7ea.html

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                      And here's one from The Philadelphia Tribune. Robert Bogle is a Cheyney alum and Chairman of the Cheyney Board of Trustees. He is also President and CEO of The Philadelphia Tribune.
                      I wonder how much he annually contributes to his alma mater.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                        I wonder how much he annually contributes to his alma mater.
                        I don't know but if smoke and mirrors were dollars he would be the biggest benefactor.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                          unfortunately, your mostly right about that. But . . . many Cheyney students will struggle at most other state system schools. Its that bad.
                          I agree they take on a lot of kids who otherwise would and frankly should be at their local community college but their Honor's Program kids would thrive at any PSAC school they just opt for Cheyney for the free tuition and room and board. No student loans at CU or pay back loans for 10 years at WCU, it's a no brainer in these times. I attended Cheyney as a freshman back in 2001-2002 and more than half our freshman class were enrolled in remedial English/Math courses because they couldn't pass the entrance English/Math exams. I was one of the few to miss those remedial courses that set you back a semester from graduating on time in 4 years unless you go to summer school.

Lets not forget that the state kept appointing thieves and incompetent people to oversee the finances. Just sad to see what was created to be a legacy institution for the underprivileged turn into a crap hole.

Comment

I agree they take on a lot of kids who otherwise would and frankly should be at their local community college but their Honor's Program kids would thrive at any PSAC school they just opt for Cheyney for the free tuition and room and board. No student loans at CU or pay back loans for 10 years at WCU, it's a no brainer in these times. I attended Cheyney as a freshman back in 2001-2002 and more than half our freshman class were enrolled in remedial English/Math courses because they couldn't pass the entrance English/Math exams. I was one of the few to miss those remedial courses that set you back a semester from graduating on time in 4 years unless you go to summer school.

Lets not forget that the state kept appointing thieves and incompetent people to oversee the finances. Just sad to see what was created to be a legacy institution for the underprivileged turn into a crap hole.
                            Agreed, and its a shame for those students that could really benefit from what Cheyney had to offer. keep in mind there is a significant number of students that do better closer to home, so transferring to another PASSHE school isn't a one for one option.

Comment

Names and positions of the individuals that the state appointed to oversee the finances? Surely if there were thieves they would have been indicted.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X