Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheyney Gets a Temporary Life Line

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Just my opinion. Does IUP really need to play UPJ or Seton Hill for a third time this Wednesday?
    IMO, sometimes it seems repetitive but that's just the way it is. I don't see any workaround for it. In the NFL you can end up playing a division rival 3 times in a season, 2 in the regular season and again in the PO's. I'm following PIAA wrestling right now and wrestlers can meet up on 3 successive weekends; once in the districts, the following week in the regionals, and next week in the states. That happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
      IMO, sometimes it seems repetitive but that's just the way it is. I don't see any workaround for it. In the NFL you can end up playing a division rival 3 times in a season, 2 in the regular season and again in the PO's. I'm following PIAA wrestling right now and wrestlers can meet up on 3 successive weekends; once in the districts, the following week in the regionals, and next week in the states. That happens all the time.
      Good point. At least college basketball doesn't have 3 or 7 games series like pro baseball or basketball.

Comment

https://www.phillytrib.com/news/loca...09f1cd38c.html

Comment

I guess they only give you one freebie. Now I can't read it unless I subscribe.

Comment

Judging by this article maybe Cheyney finally has put the right person in charge to lead them out of the pit of financial hell. If he can pull alumni together for a fundraiser of some sort to put up a few million bucks towards their debt as well as keep their accreditation in November they may very well rise back from the dead. 1500+ applicants is pretty good considering the school itself is only enrolling less than 800 currently. I also like that he has stated they can't rely strictly on state appropriations and federal money they have to generate revenue and money other ways. If they somehow could add programs most other state schools don't have like Architecture & Engineering they'd definitely increase their profile while raising their enrollment numbers

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
              Judging by this article maybe Cheyney finally has put the right person in charge to lead them out of the pit of financial hell. If he can pull alumni together for a fundraiser of some sort to put up a few million bucks towards their debt as well as keep their accreditation in November they may very well rise back from the dead. 1500+ applicants is pretty good considering the school itself is only enrolling less than 800 currently. I also like that he has stated they can't rely strictly on state appropriations and federal money they have to generate revenue and money other ways. If they somehow could add programs most other state schools don't have like Architecture & Engineering they'd definitely increase their profile while raising their enrollment numbers
              To me that's the only way to survive as a 4-year school. There is renewed interest in HBCUs which might be reason for the uptick in applications, deposits, etc.

1,500 applications is good but most schools plan to enroll only 20% of who they accept. But even then, that's looking like an eventual enrollment increase. They need to learn how to get and stay at the 1,200 to 1,500 level to be able to stay afloat given the financial albatrosses that come with PASSHE.

Money alone won't save their accreditation if they can't prove they have the internal controls to see that it is managed appropriately. Otherwise, they're in the same boat of small HBCU Bennett College.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                To me that's the only way to survive as a 4-year school. There is renewed interest in HBCUs which might be reason for the uptick in applications, deposits, etc.

1,500 applications is good but most schools plan to enroll only 20% of who they accept. But even then, that's looking like an eventual enrollment increase. They need to learn how to get and stay at the 1,200 to 1,500 level to be able to stay afloat given the financial albatrosses that come with PASSHE.

Money alone won't save their accreditation if they can't prove they have the internal controls to see that it is managed appropriately. Otherwise, they're in the same boat of small HBCU Bennett College.
                No matter how good the new president is, it will be a difficult job. A couple things have to happen.

1. Focus on the most popular programs, and try to grow and diversify these to fit their local market. Actually, a killer pre-med program would be good, since pre-med is wildly popular, it doesn't require a traditional department or real advanced sciences, and could be connected with multiple programs that serve under represented populations - add some scholarships and a link to the honors college, and they could get alot of students that might otherwise go to another PASSHE school for the same major. New programs always sound great, but the time required to implement them through PASSHE, and the new faculty expertise it would require is a costly and slow process. A common mistake at PASSHE schools is to try to use local expertise for these new programs, it doesn't often work, and you get things like engineering programs without anyone teaching who has ever worked as an engineer or is licensed as an engineer.
                2. Big donations to support scholarships - infrastructure takes too much time, scholarships come right back into the school operating budget through tuition.
                3. Figure out who the staff heros and who the staff deadweight is, and reassign them to where they do the most good, or do the least damage depending - this may be a difficult or impossible task depending on current situation - remember it is very very hard to let go of staff at PASSHE schools. THis is a big one since normally you find money to hire new staff, and give the problem a new title, and an office without a window in the basement until they retire or leave.
                4. They will need to do something big to give the accrediting agencies a reason to extend their accreditation until they can turn things around - maybe the Chancellor or even the governor could have a talk with the agency.
                5. I really hope he works this out at Cheney, the school has done alot of good, and could do alot more.

Comment

I am not sure that Cheyney controls its own destiny. They can make changes to programs, mission, etc. but they need external help. A lot of it. First of all they need continued sympathy. They need to be good salespeople. Primarily, though, I think they need the corporate partners. The ones they have on board and additional relationships.

Comment

I am not sure that Cheyney controls its own destiny. They can make changes to programs, mission, etc. but they need external help. A lot of it. First of all they need continued sympathy. They need to be good salespeople. Primarily, though, I think they need the corporate partners. The ones they have on board and additional relationships.
                    Sounds good but what do they have to offer in return? Corporate sponsors want some return on that dime. Quite a mess.

Comment

Totally agree. I think one thing that will help is to get them out from the APSCUF contract. They need more independence and less state-level red tape dictating how they must do things (obviously as long as its ethical and legal).

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                        Totally agree. I think one thing that will help is to get them out from the APSCUF contract. They need more independence and less state-level red tape dictating how they must do things (obviously as long as its ethical and legal).
                        Some other schools cold probably benefit from that too. :)

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Sounds good but what do they have to offer in return? Corporate sponsors want some return on that dime. Quite a mess.
                          Sure, they want to be sure that positive changes are being made. But I think they are on board to help out the "oldest" HBCU. It's a good cause and, as always, the corporation percieves that it increases "goodwill" so they benefit.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X