https://megankalmoe.com/2011/01/24/rev-vs-nonrev/

Comment

Re: Dixon Trophy Standings after Winter Sports

More food for thought:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.5466e6393042

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        His question can only be answered from an IUP view in this instance and that's simple: Both basketball programs are fully funded. Of course, that money doesn't come from IUP but rather its large amount of corporate and private boosters. They run both basketball programs like mid-majors. They don't eat at Subway after games ... put it that way. They get hotels the night before longer road trips, etc. All that stuff takes lots of money. The basketball players at IUP -- men and women -- are very coddled compared to other sports. Joe Lombardi has a bigger support staff than I think Tort does.

I think IUP gives about 1 baseball scholarship divided by 30 guys. He wasn't mentioning football as that is a 'revenue' sport.
        So what you're saying is that football, basketball, baseball and softball aren't necessarily more costly to run, but that IUP chooses to fund those, well, three of those, more than the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
          So what you're saying is that football, basketball, baseball and softball aren't necessarily more costly to run, but that IUP chooses to fund those, well, three of those, more than the others.
          I don't know. I don't work in the athletic department. All I can tell you is IUP cares about 3 sports. The rest are treated as glorified enrollment boosters.

Comment

To be clear, I don't hold it against IUP to prioritize what sports they focus their energies on. It just amuses me when certain people choose to talk down on other programs that select a more evenly-spread approach rather than just letting it be. Football and basketball already get the most press, so what's wrong with having a trophy that rewards the other sports? If people don't care about it, then just ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
              To be clear, I don't hold it against IUP to prioritize what sports they focus their energies on. It just amuses me when certain people choose to talk down on other programs that select a more evenly-spread approach rather than just letting it be. Football and basketball already get the most press, so what's wrong with having a trophy that rewards the other sports? If people don't care about it, then just ignore it.

Comment

You're railing against a balanced athletic program. It just doesn't hold that much water. Yes, you clean up in the name sports. But it's at the expense of a great deal of others.

Different strokes. But that doesn't mean the Dixon Trophy holds no meaning. It merely means that you don't hold program balance of much value.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                  You're railing against a balanced athletic program. It just doesn't hold that much water. Yes, you clean up in the name sports. But it's at the expense of a great deal of others.

Different strokes. But that doesn't mean the Dixon Trophy holds no meaning. It merely means that you don't hold program balance of much value.
                  I think that's pretty clear. That's all we've been saying this whole conversation.

Comment

Dixon Trophy Standings after Winter Sports

Comment

Athletes don't compete for your pleasure. Get over yourself already...

Comment

You should really try caring less about what people think of your Division 2 school's athletics program. You care more about not winning the Dixon Trophy than most WCU fans care about winning it.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                          Athletes don't compete for your pleasure. Get over yourself already...

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                            You should really try caring less about what people think of your Division 2 school's athletics program. You care more about not winning the Dixon Trophy than most WCU fans care about winning it.

Ironic coming from ESU fans obsessed over IUP.

Comment

All of us in the East think about your program a LOT less than you believe we do. In fact, we don't think about you much at all in 14 of 17 sports.

Comment

All of us in the East think about your program a LOT less than you believe we do. In fact, we don't think about you much at all in 14 of 17 sports.
                                You can brag about those other 14 on the message board for those other 14 ...

Oh, wait, ...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X