Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Tiger!

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I've moved on past Tiger's personal indiscretions and it honestly surprises me that there are so many people still hung up on them. Tiger was basically following the Mickey Mantle school of self-indulgence but somehow came out with a much less rosy treatment.

Tiger's greatest advantages during his initial run were that a) he was in incredible shape to accommodate his over swing and muscling shots, and b) his mental focus was almost impeccable. He couldn't beat any of us when his health and focus/confidence weren't there. Now they're both back and I'm excited to see what happens.

Comment

Hey ... some people admire a guy having 15-20 super-model-level girlfriends while married. Not many people, grant you, but there are some.

Being blitzed out of his mind on prescription drugs, driving and falling asleep behind the wheel ... hopefully was a one-time thing.

At the true peak of his fame, however, it's hard to say what it would do to someone. I'd assume they really do feel invincible. He truly was one of the biggest stars in the world -- athletes, actors, ... anybody.

I saw he has a new girlfriend now. He'd be interesting for your daughter to bring home.

Comment

I have never understood the whole addiction to watching golf and certainly never understood the adulation people had for Tiger Woods. I guess people just wanted to be able to say that they watched Woods on his way to greatness. And I certainly don't understand the breathlessness that people have had following his comeback the last few years. If I had a buck for everyone who told me with deep, heart felt earnesty that "Tiger's back" after he finished in the top 10 of some tournament over the last five years only to have him apparently crash and burn the next week, I'd have a pretty good stack of folding money!

I'm happy Woods won because I'm not going to have to hear my friends gush to the point of near orgasm every time Woods is entered in a tourney that's on TV. Wait...strike that...I fear that Woods winning will have the opposite effect and my friends will be in full orgasm mode every time he graces the TV. Where's my frikin raincoat!!!!
        Last edited by boatcapt; 04-15-2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Hey ... some people admire a guy having 15-20 super-model-level girlfriends while married. Not many people, grant you, but there are some.

Being blitzed out of his mind on prescription drugs, driving and falling asleep behind the wheel ... hopefully was a one-time thing.

At the true peak of his fame, however, it's hard to say what it would do to someone. I'd assume they really do feel invincible. He truly was one of the biggest stars in the world -- athletes, actors, ... anybody.

I saw he has a new girlfriend now. He'd be interesting for your daughter to bring home.
          Interesting from a "honey where's my gun?" stand point!!!

As for being passed out "drunk" on meds being his "first time," my experience is that the time they get caught is not the first time they have been like that. More likely to say it was the first time he had been blitzed out of his mind on prescription drugs, driving and falling asleep behind the wheel and got CAUGHT!!

These star athletes have so many publicity agents, image managers and fixers that you never really know if the public persona is actually what the person is like...that is, until it all comes crashing down and we get a glimps of what the star is truly like. Of course, in true fan fashon, we quickly forget the unnerving glimps of our star's real nature and instead opt to believe the NEW image that his new publicity agents quickly erect to prove that he has "learned from my mistakes" is "sorry for any pain I caused" and just "wants the chance to prove the type of man I am" (read...love me again and buy the products I endorse so I can make a whole pile of money again!!).
          Last edited by boatcapt; 04-15-2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            I have never understood the whole addiction to watching golf and certainly never understood the adulation people had for Tiger Woods. I guess people just wanted to be able to say that they watched Woods on his way to greatness. And I certainly don't understand the breathlessness that people have had following his comeback the last few years. If I had a buck for everyone who told me with deep, heart felt earnesty that "Tiger's back" after he finished in the top 10 of some tournament over the last five years only to have him apparently crash and burn the next week, I'd have a pretty good stack of folding money!

I'm happy Woods won because I'm not going to have to hear my friends gush to the point of near orgasm every time Woods is entered in a tourney that's on TV. Wait...strike that...I fear that Woods winning will have the opposite effect and my friends will be in full orgasm mode every time he graces the TV. Where's my frikin raincoat!!!!

Comment

Comment

I'm not going to harangue anyone or applaud anyone for their personal feelings on Woods. I can understand both sides.

What gets me is how much noise this guy has to get around with every step of his life. He lives in the eye of the storm. How he can function with such laser-like focus? And that doesn't even begin to touch the physical recovery. He literally could not walk without pain two years ago.

I was rooting like crazy yesterday. I think golf is at its best when Tiger is in the chase. But again, I can definitely understand why many wouldn't look at it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                  Will the first perfect human being please announce yourself.
                  IUPNation should be logging on here directly to do so. :laugh:

I actually have to laud everyone who commented on this thread. There are some really great thoughts shared here by everyone!

I don't think that I had ever watched even a second of professional golf before that historic time in April of 1997 when the world literally did stop everything to take a look at what the kid was doing at a place that a generation or so before he would not even have been permitted to be there because of his skin color. It really was one of the all-time greatest moments in sports. Tiger has turned a lot of people onto watching what he does over the years. The game of golf really does owe him a lot.

My father did a stint in Augusta, Ga in the early 1960s with the US Army. Everything down there was totally segregated. It is amazing how far things did come in several decades.

-

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                    I'm not going to harangue anyone or applaud anyone for their personal feelings on Woods. I can understand both sides.

What gets me is how much noise this guy has to get around with every step of his life. He lives in the eye of the storm. How he can function with such laser-like focus? And that doesn't even begin to touch the physical recovery. He literally could not walk without pain two years ago.

I was rooting like crazy yesterday. I think golf is at its best when Tiger is in the chase. But again, I can definitely understand why many wouldn't look at it like that.
                    I totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                      pick and choose who we think should get that opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      This country...nay, the world, picks and choses who get's opportunities all day EVERY day. That's how the game of life works. Is the back surgery issue a compelling story? Sure it is. And if that was the only part of the "Tiger Story" I'd be inclined to agree with the adulation that he is getting. Unfortunately, that is only part of his fall from grace. His victory at the Masters needs to be balanced with his drug addiction, adultery and general jerk'ness (is that a word?) when dealing with the public and other golfers. Sure, the latter part of Tiger's "personality" wasn't reported on very often (compared to the monsoon of "Tiger is a golf god" stories) and when it was reported it was almost always dealt with very lightly, but there is sufficient reporting to paint a picture of Tiger as an entitled, world class jerk to his fellow pros and fans. Fans that worship Tiger from a far say that this dose of humility has changed him and that may well be the case...but it could EQUALLY be the case the only thing that really changed was his ability to hit a golf ball and now that he is capable of doing that again, the "old Tiger" will return. As the saying goes...A tiger can't change his stripes.

Comment

OT: Tiger!

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        This country...nay, the world, picks and choses who get's opportunities all day EVERY day. That's how the game of life works. Is the back surgery issue a compelling story? Sure it is. And if that was the only part of the "Tiger Story" I'd be inclined to agree with the adulation that he is getting. Unfortunately, that is only part of his fall from grace. His victory at the Masters needs to be balanced with his drug addiction, adultery and general jerk'ness (is that a word?) when dealing with the public and other golfers. Sure, the latter part of Tiger's "personality" wasn't reported on very often (compared to the monsoon of "Tiger is a golf god" stories) and when it was reported it was almost always dealt with very lightly, but there is sufficient reporting to paint a picture of Tiger as an entitled, world class jerk to his fellow pros and fans. Fans that worship Tiger from a far say that this dose of humility has changed him and that may well be the case...but it could EQUALLY be the case the only thing that really changed was his ability to hit a golf ball and now that he is capable of doing that again, the "old Tiger" will return. As the saying goes...A tiger can't change his stripes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X