Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Pennsylvania has just eased their large group attendance guidelines (policy? law? recommendations?). Indoor events can now have 15% capacity and outdoor events 20%.

I wonder if that changes some attitudes on a fake spring season. Honestly, with how attendance capacity is in the PSAC, they just might have to force some people to sit on the away side and not much else changes.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    I see it differently. Why play the game (any year, any season) if you're afraid to hurt your star players.
    I mean sign star players and have them sit the bench all season? no sense
    Even a short 3, 4 game season will give the coach a chance to evaluate new players and how others may have improved.
    Also no eligibility yr is lost is for seniors. It also gives these young studs a chance to blow off some steam against an opponent
    rather then a 18 months of practice frustrations.
    I see it both ways and agree with what you're saying. But this spring season counts for nothing. If Gannon wins all four of their games, they don't make the playoffs. They don't get a trophy. They probably won't order rings. I think the potential for disaster outweighs any benefit.

Edinboro had a limited wrestling schedule this year. Some matches ended up not being matches - only round robin. I didn't watch those. It didn't satisfy me the same way a real match does. I imagine a scrimmage against Slippery Rock would be the same thing. If Rock goes up 72-0 it counts for nothing other than getting my blood pressure up.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    I see it differently. Why play the game (any year, any season) if you're afraid to hurt your star players.
    Even a short 3, 4 game season will give the coach a chance to evaluate new players and how others may have improved.
    Also no eligibility yr is lost is for seniors. It also gives these young studs a chance to blow off some steam against an opponent
    I see your point about the possibility of injury because injuries can occur at any time. But it's not like you're playing a full competitive schedule. If you win them all, who cares? If you lose them all, who cares?

I don't think it would mean much to anybody. Plus, we aren't out of COVID yet. If you look at winter sports that have played and it's often a start and stop thing with so many COVID-related extras that need to be dealt with. My vote is to just get back on a regular-season schedule.

Leave a comment:

• Sec10-A-14
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shipfbfan1
    replied
    At the D2 level it's kind of pointless to play a spring schedule at this point. Realistically if it were played it would be to showcase your senior class for professional scouts while also allowing them to play out their eligibility so that you can bring in your full HS recruiting class mixed in with some college transfers. However many D2 star players who were on NFL scout lists took the season to transfer up to the FCS/FBS rankings to improve their draft stock so scouts probably won't be at many D2/D3 spring scrimmages or games this March/April.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I can't substantiate this, but this is a lengthy text I got from a friend about spring football:

"So many question marks still about who shows up in August so coaches are afraid to play anything close to regular football for fear for losing best guys. State schools are mostly online so some out of state guys are home and doing checkins for workout plans with coaches. That keeps them engaged. Colleges [I assume he means privates] are mostly in person for classes and there's fear that disengaged players will question extra cost and leave."

I don't know how much weight I'd put behind that but its certainly possible. I know he doesn't lurk on here so I'm comfortable sharing.
    I believe it ... been saying it all along. No chance teams are risking star players in these glorified scrimmages. And, coaches don't like to lose ... so, they aren't playing a game with a JV team. I suspect we will see very few games this spring.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I can't substantiate this, but this is a lengthy text I got from a friend about spring football:

"So many question marks still about who shows up in August so coaches are afraid to play anything close to regular football for fear for losing best guys. State schools are mostly online so some out of state guys are home and doing checkins for workout plans with coaches. That keeps them engaged. Colleges [I assume he means privates] are mostly in person for classes and there's fear that disengaged players will question extra cost and leave."

I don't know how much weight I'd put behind that but its certainly possible. I know he doesn't lurk on here so I'm comfortable sharing.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Email the Shepard & Gannon coaches. Sounds like a plan, I think with a plethora of games (lax, sb, bb, ws, ms) football fields
    are tough to come by. I would imagine that's why GU is playing home FB games at the VET in Erie.
    Do they play in crossover in 2021? If so, that's why they aren't playing in all likelihood.

Leave a comment:

• Sec10-A-14
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Let's see...Gannon is playing 4 games and looking for others AND Shepherd is looking to line-up opponents...hummmmm...Maybe they should call each other??
    Email the Shepard & Gannon coaches. Sounds like a plan, I think with a plethora of games (lax, sb, bb, ws, ms) football fields
    are tough to come by. I would imagine that's why GU is playing home FB games at the VET in Erie.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    PSAC releases information on spring sports. Nothing on spring football.

https://psacsports.org/news/2021/2/2...ring-2021.aspx

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Let's see...Gannon is playing 4 games and looking for others AND Shepherd is looking to line-up opponents...hummmmm...Maybe they should call each other??

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Problem is until you're in Vets it sucks. Nowhere to park, only one entrance, etc. I don't think anyone actually enjoys playing there. Very similar to Cupples.
    Inside Vets sucks too even with the updates done almost two years ago!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Problem is until you're in Vets it sucks. Nowhere to park, only one entrance, etc. I don't think anyone actually enjoys playing there. Very similar to Cupples.
    Most times I've been to the IUP game at Gannon ... IUP has a bigger crowd.

Of course, I suppose the City Game draws better.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Wonder if they ever considered making that the 'City Game' and playing at the Vets every year?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

The game against Mercyhurst is suppose to be at Vets Stadium not at Gannon although Gannon may be the "home" team.
    Wonder if they ever considered making that the 'City Game' and playing at the Vets every year?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X