Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edinboro 2021 Thread

What appears to be a spring 2021 roster is posted. Some observations (feel free to correct me anyone):

Noteworthy Newcomers & Transfers
    - Aulden Knight is a CB transfer from Cincinnati by way of FCS Hampton. Had nice stats at Hampton before transferring to Cincy where he was used as a kick returner. Injured in 2019.
    - Jaohne Duggan is a DL transfer from Rutgers. Played in 21 games between '18 and '19. He'll bring some much needed experience.
    - Mark Conley is a big boy OL. 6-9 330 transfer from St. Anselm. Played three high school sports with that size.
    - Anfrenee Williams is back at RB. Was on the freshman All-American team with Edinboro way back in 2014. Could work his way to being starting RB.

Noteworthy Names Missing
    - Kyle Schreiner is a huge OL. Not sure why he's missing but he may be up to graduate in May and not continue.
    - Gilberto Ortiz is a huge loss on defense. Led the team in TFL and sacks.

Other Thoughts & Conjecture
    - They'll have a tough time replacing Te'Nauz Gregory at receiver & returner.
    - Leading receiver, defensive back, linebacker, and kick returner all gone.
    - QB seems to be open. Andrew Tomko is gone and unfortunately never seemed to adjust to college ball. Cal transfer Jordan Castelli is probably the front runner as the only QB with experience.
    - This is a SUPER young team with a new coaching staff. That's perfect for changing culture but I'm not sure that's what was needed. 42 guys on this roster weren't on the roster for the 2019 season. 30 true freshmen and 30 combined juniors, seniors, & grads. Maybe a young roster & young staff is the way to go? There's exactly one coach over age 40.

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    What appears to be a spring 2021 roster is posted. Some observations (feel free to correct me anyone):

- Aulden Knight is a CB transfer from Cincinnati by way of FCS Hampton. Had nice stats at Hampton before transferring to Cincy where he was used as a kick returner. Injured in 2019.
    - Jaohne Duggan is a DL transfer from Rutgers. Played in 21 games between '18 and '19. He'll bring some much needed experience.
    - Mark Conley is a big boy OL. 6-9 330 transfer from St. Anselm. Played three high school sports with that size.
    - Anfrenee Williams is back at RB. Was on the freshman All-American team with Edinboro way back in 2014. Could work his way to being starting RB.

Noteworthy Names Missing
    - Kyle Schreiner is a huge OL. Not sure why he's missing but he may be up to graduate in May and not continue.

- QB seems to be open. Andrew Tomko is gone and unfortunately never seemed to adjust to college ball. Cal transfer Jordan Castelli is probably the front runner as the only QB with experience.
    - This is a SUPER young team with a new coaching staff. That's perfect for changing culture but I'm not sure that's what was needed. 42 guys on this roster weren't on the roster for the 2019 season. 30 true freshmen and 30 combined juniors, seniors, & grads. Maybe a young roster & young staff is the way to go? There's exactly one coach over age 40.
    Conley could be the prototype Edinboro football lineman turned Pat Cleary power forward.

Edinboro has a nice history of getting some pigskinners on to the hoops team.

Comment

https://www.erienewsnow.com/clip/152...pandemic-pause

The players seem happy and that's a good thing. I've never met Jake Nulph but I like his positive attitude and his lack of coach-speak. Hoping for better than 3-8. Depending on how a lot of the 'middle of the pack' teams shake up this year, I think 5 or 6 wins is possible.

Comment

https://www.erienewsnow.com/clip/152...pandemic-pause

The players seem happy and that's a good thing. I've never met Jake Nulph but I like his positive attitude and his lack of coach-speak. Hoping for better than 3-8. Depending on how a lot of the 'middle of the pack' teams shake up this year, I think 5 or 6 wins is possible.
        He's a good dude. Biggest challenge will be being the boss and not a buddy.

Comment

Noteworthy Names Missing

Sheesh 2014 is a long time to have been away from the game. I assume he has to be 25-26 years old now...

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

Sheesh 2014 is a long time to have been away from the game. I assume he has to be 25-26 years old now...
            Its quite a story. I give him credit for not giving up on his dream. This November feature says he was 24 at the time.

https://gofightingscots.com/news/202...all-story.aspx

Comment

Its quite a story. I give him credit for not giving up on his dream. This November feature says he was 24 at the time.

https://gofightingscots.com/news/202...all-story.aspx
              That's a heart felt and amazing story. Wish him very well this upcoming season and he doesn't have much tread on the tires so if he produces well this season hopefully that catches the eyes of scouts and he gets his chance to live out his professional ball dreams either in the XFL, CFL or maybe even the NFL.

Comment

Prospect camp info has been posted. Its beginning to look a lot like normal again.

Comment

Saw it today at the football golf outing is scheduled for July 24 at Culbertson Hills in Edinboro.

Comment

2021 schedule is finally up. https://gofightingscots.com/sports/football/schedule

I see that we're still going with the noon kickoff which means they're okay with limiting attendance to parents, staff, and a handful of students beyond the band.

Comment

2021 schedule is finally up. https://gofightingscots.com/sports/football/schedule

I see that we're still going with the noon kickoff which means they're okay with limiting attendance to parents, staff, and a handful of students beyond the band.
                      This league is infatuated with 12 p.m.

Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Comment

A group of Edinboro alumni donated a locker room renovation. Looks pretty nice and pairs well with the new Nike uniforms. Next step, more scholarship money.

https://gofightingscots.com/news/202...cker-room.aspx

Comment

Trey Staunch hired as assistant SID director at Cal U today.

Comment

Found myself in need of a distraction last night from watching the same mediocre kids movie for the third time this week...so here's my mediocre preview of Edinboro football's 2021 season.

What's New
                            1. New coaching staff. They've been in place since 2020, they're largely young, and seem to be making progress. I like what I've seen from Coach Nulph. The players seem to be taking to him, too.

2. Renovated locker room. Nice to see alumni stepping up by funding a $50k project. It looks good and should be attractive when the scholarship offer isn't as much as some others.

3. New uniforms. Simple, clean red & white Nike kits. White helmets remain but new decals: red "The Boro" logo brought in by Nulph, which is growing on me, and the Royal Stewart tartan strip up the middle is cool.

4. Half of the roster. Nearly 2/3 of the roster wasn't on the team for the 2019 season. Could be good, could be bad.

What's Not
                            1. Scholarship dollars. When Lou Tepper took over in 2000, Edinboro had 25 equivalencies. Tuition increases and stagnant fundraising have reduced that down to 12.

2. Sox Harrison turf. Hopefully the money is found soon before Sox Harrison develops a reputation like Lock Haven's Hubert Jack once had. Or someone gets injured.

3. Uncertainty. Clearly Edinboro is not in contention for the PSAC West but they also have some talent that should keep them out of the cellar. Can they improve from 3 wins? Who will be QB1?

Top Newcomers
                            - Jaohne Duggan, OL, transfer from Rutgers where he saw some meaningful playing time.
                            - Mario Fontanazza, DL, strong, athletic big guy who could get playing time by the end of the season.
                            - Gabe Hulslander, OL/DL, very strong big man with big time leadership capacity, was 1st team all-state at DE
                            - Mitch Miles, OL, all-state big man who was also a state honoree in wrestling and track
                            - Anfrenee Williams, RB: technically not new but hasn't been on the team since the Scott Browning years. Should push for a RB tandem.

Top Unexpected Losses (since 2020)
                            - Billy DePaul, DB, to Fairmont State.
                            - Connor Kelly, LB, to IUP. Would have been a starter this year.
                            - Dorian Woody, RB, to IUP. Was the leading rusher in 2019.

Missing Recruits from '20 and '21
                            - Alex Anderson, WR, transfer from Bloomsburg wrestling
                            - Merrick Bauer, DB, Harbor Creek
                            - Jake Francona, WR, New Brighton from the famous New Brighton Francona family
                            - Nate Jones, WR, General McLane
                            - Cooper Pannes, DL, Southwestern (NY)
                            - Chris Romano, P, transfer from Waynesburg
                            - Sutton Rowland, P/K, Mercyhurst Prep
                            - Travis Shaffer, OL, McDowell

My Prediction:
                            4-7 with wins against Seton Hill, Clarion, Millersville, and one of Gannon/Mercyhurst. Then again, another lightning in a bottle 9-2 season would be fun, too!
                            Last edited by Fightingscot82; 08-19-2021, 12:17 PM. Reason: Fixed Duggan

Comment

Oh I didn't realize---what happened to Jaohne Duggan?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X