Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good point.

JP is massively popular with the younger generation -- like social media numbers marketers dream of seeing. As you said, he'll have cast-offs lined up for days to get the type of payday he can offer. Askren got a guaranteed $550,000 for the fight plus a cut of extras. Word is he'll be over $1m -- far and away the biggest check of his life.

Jake does take boxing seriously. He's about 3 years in to training and as many insiders have said he does have a lot of power and talent. I guess the question is will he want to prove it to himself and the world and really try to become a 'pro' boxer -- or, just keep swimming in money and pummeling non-boxer rejects.

I can tell you one thing, though, for sure. The world hasn't talked about 'boxing' this much in a long, long time. He's actually kind of bringing the sport back in to the limelight.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Very good point.

JP is massively popular with the younger generation -- like social media numbers marketers dream of seeing. As you said, he'll have cast-offs lined up for days to get the type of payday he can offer. Askren got a guaranteed $550,000 for the fight plus a cut of extras. Word is he'll be over $1m -- far and away the biggest check of his life.

Jake does take boxing seriously. He's about 3 years in to training and as many insiders have said he does have a lot of power and talent. I guess the question is will he want to prove it to himself and the world and really try to become a 'pro' boxer -- or, just keep swimming in money and pummeling non-boxer rejects.

I can tell you one thing, though, for sure. The world hasn't talked about 'boxing' this much in a long, long time. He's actually kind of bringing the sport back in to the limelight.
      I wouldn't say he's popular as a personality though. That's the thing with YouTubers. There isn't much to them beyond engaging videos. I think a lot of people tuned it hoping to see JP get his ass kicked.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I wouldn't say he's popular as a personality though. That's the thing with YouTubers. There isn't much to them beyond engaging videos. I think a lot of people tuned it hoping to see JP get his ass kicked.
        That's what sells. Classic villain.

Comment

Very good point.

Yep, and the last time it got this much attention was Mayweather-McGregor which, not coincidentally, was more special attraction than real fight. Boxing as we knew it is pretty much dead. The top fighters in the world today can walk down a busy city street in the middle of the day and no one will recognize them.

Comment

Apparently Floyd Mayweather and Logan Paul will meet in a 6 round exhibition the first weekend in June.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
              Apparently Floyd Mayweather and Logan Paul will meet in a 6 round exhibition the first weekend in June.
              That's a really interesting size match-up.

Logan is 6'2", 220 lbs. Floyd is about 5'8" and 150 lbs.

Floyd has mentioned fighting Jake later this year. Sounds like Logan is more 'youtuber' and Jake at least takes it pretty seriously (in addition to being a fantastic heel).

Comment

That's a really interesting size match-up.

Logan is 6'2", 220 lbs. Floyd is about 5'8" and 150 lbs.

Floyd has mentioned fighting Jake later this year. Sounds like Logan is more 'youtuber' and Jake at least takes it pretty seriously (in addition to being a fantastic heel).

Comment

I am admittedly a grating purist with this stuff.

I have trouble coming to grips with the whole MMA concept, let alone an MMA fighter posing as a boxer.

I feel the same about pro wrestlers when there are thousands of young men and women working 365/24/7 to become a competitive amateur wrestler.

And yes, I know the ship has sailed on both of these, and yes, MMA fighters and pro wrestlers have obvious athletic skills. Still, old man rant is old man rant.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                    I am admittedly a grating purist with this stuff.

I have trouble coming to grips with the whole MMA concept, let alone an MMA fighter posing as a boxer.

I feel the same about pro wrestlers when there are thousands of young men and women working 365/24/7 to become a competitive amateur wrestler.

And yes, I know the ship has sailed on both of these, and yes, MMA fighters and pro wrestlers have obvious athletic skills. Still, old man rant is old man rant.
                    I hear that. I used to love boxing and every time one of these circus sideshows brings in big money it just further drives home that legitimate professional boxing is pretty much dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I hear that. I used to love boxing and every time one of these circus sideshows brings in big money it just further drives home that legitimate professional boxing is pretty much dead.
                      Legitimate boxing, yes, dead. Sideshow boxing may start an epic run here.

Times change. The audience changes. In this era, hate to say it, Jake Paul may be the savior.

Comment

Sounds like Chad Ochocinco has agreed to make his boxing debut on the undercard of Mayweather vs Logan Paul on June 6.

Rumor is the opponent will be former WR Brandon Marshall. Both are boxing gym rats since retirement.

Jake's next opponent is TBD but many big names seem interested. As he's hand-picking opponents many think it will be Dillon Danis (who he'd likely smother).

Tyson Fury's brother seems very interested but I highly doubt Jake wants that match.

Comment

The circus continues ... quite the presses and encounter with Mayweather today.

Comment

The circus continues ... quite the presses and encounter with Mayweather today.

Comment

What a clown. Without seeing any of the video much closer to the scuffle its hard to tell if this was real or not. If real, that could have got dicey.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                What a clown. Without seeing any of the video much closer to the scuffle its hard to tell if this was real or not. If real, that could have got dicey.
                                I'll say when Floyd and Logan went face to face (pre-brawl) it looked like Rocky and Drago.

Logan is a big dude.

Problem is nobody can ever actually hit Floyd.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X