Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMAC expansion rumblings

I'm posting this here for anyone not looking at the GMAC board. Seems the rumors of Gannon, Mercyhurst and Seton Hill to the GMAC are starting up again.

What's unclear is the line below about Mercyhurst and Gannon. Not sure if the poster is counting SHU as the '1 other [sic] PSAC school' or if they think a state school would leave the PSAC. I can't say I see the latter happening.

Posted by Insidesource on GMAC board:

What I am hearing from those involved in GMAC meeting:

Seton Hill/UIndy most likely to join GMAC

Gannon, Hurst would consider moving if at least 1 other school PSAC school joined in the move

NDC/Urbana possible (50/50)

No talks AT ALL concerning Ashland

Re: GMAC expansion rumblings

I guess the one other PSAC school could be UPJ. I forgot about them (it's easy to do haha)

Comment

No way ...

Not a chance they are adding all that travel.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        No way ...

Not a chance they are adding all that travel.
        From a travel standpoint, it doesn't make sense. It just depends on how much those institutions value being in a league that is (mostly) comprised of private schools. If that is their ultimate goal, then I guess the GMAC makes sense for them.

Comment

If the 3 private schools all left the PSAC it wouldn't be the end of the world. I would suspect the league would try to lure Lincoln and maybe approach one or 2 of the D3 schools in the state about joining if all 3 schools left. Football wise Seton Hill & Gannon don't really hurt competition wise just messes up the numbers as divisions would have to be realigned. I wonder if Mansfield would consider restarting their FULL football program again. If so then the East would just probably bring in Lincoln, reincorporate Mansfield and in the west maybe a private D3 like Allegheny wants to make the jump

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
            If the 3 private schools all left the PSAC it wouldn't be the end of the world. I would suspect the league would try to lure Lincoln and maybe approach one or 2 of the D3 schools in the state about joining if all 3 schools left. Football wise Seton Hill & Gannon don't really hurt competition wise just messes up the numbers as divisions would have to be realigned. I wonder if Mansfield would consider restarting their FULL football program again. If so then the East would just probably bring in Lincoln, reincorporate Mansfield and in the west maybe a private D3 like Allegheny wants to make the jump

Gannon and Mercyhurst would be huge losses in basketball.

That said, I'd give the odds of them leaving to be about the same as IUPNation leading a pro-Trump rally in the Oak Grove.

Even Seton Hill, while complete dumpster fire in men's basketball and football, gives our teams a short road trip.

UPJ wanted to join the PSAC forever. No chance they are leaving.

This topic comes up every year around this time. It's a good time-filler, I suppose, and is more interesting than women's wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
              in the west maybe a private D3 like Allegheny wants to make the jump
              West Liberty maybe? I have a hard time envisioning Allegheny joining the PSAC, especially if the three private schools left.

Comment

That said, I'd give the odds of them leaving to be about the same as IUPNation leading a pro-Trump rally in the Oak Grove.

Even Seton Hill, while complete dumpster fire in men's basketball and football, gives our teams a short road trip.

This topic comes up every year around this time. It's a good time-filler, I suppose, and is more interesting than women's wrestling.
                :laugh::laugh:

Comment

Likely scenario is that the G-MAC will want to get Notre Dame in the conference. The G-MAC needs a football school to replace Malone. NDC, I think, will be losing one of the closest schools in the MEC travel-wise as it appears Wheeling Jesuit is about to implode by the end of next school year. WJU was one of the closest schools in the MEC as NDC travel is pretty tough in the MEC. Going the G-MAC puts them in close proximity to several schools. I hear this "they have easier path to bids in the MEC". However, with that conference losing members, there may not be that many bids awarded to schools in that conference. I see no reason why NDC can't have that same success in the G-MAC.

Comment

Comment

I think that ship has sailed. Many more schools/conferences allow for the D2 max than did 20 years ago.

Comment

Those two, plus Seton Hill, would be huge losses for baseball, too. But if they left, maybe SRU could actually compete to win the West again :bulgy-eyes:

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                          Likely scenario is that the G-MAC will want to get Notre Dame in the conference. The G-MAC needs a football school to replace Malone. NDC, I think, will be losing one of the closest schools in the MEC travel-wise as it appears Wheeling Jesuit is about to implode by the end of next school year. WJU was one of the closest schools in the MEC as NDC travel is pretty tough in the MEC. Going the G-MAC puts them in close proximity to several schools. I hear this "they have easier path to bids in the MEC". However, with that conference losing members, there may not be that many bids awarded to schools in that conference. I see no reason why NDC can't have that same success in the G-MAC.
                          NDC hasn't even started playing WJ yet. I'm under the impression this is going to be WJ's first year competing in the conference as a football member, so technically they never had that close competition to begin with if they do fold. The GMAC and the MEC are pretty comparable with a pretty clear hierarchy of the haves and have nots in their respective leagues. Both tend to be 1 bid leagues usually so not much difference there.

It does make more sense though that eventually NDC would consider the move just due to the proximity of the affiliated schools.

Comment

What are you talking about? NDC has been playing Wheeling Jesuit in a lot of sports of the years. You realize I wasn't talking strictly football??? NDC has been playing in the MEC since the beginning of the conference.

I was talking about for all sports. The travel costs for an athletic department are determined much more beyond the sport of football. One of NDC closest members in the MEC for all sports was most certainly Wheeling Jesuit. An athletic director looks at travel costs for all the sports and that was clearly what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                              One of NDC closest members in the MEC for all sports was most certainly Wheeling Jesuit. An athletic director looks at travel costs for all the sports and that was clearly what I meant.
                              For sure. Closest school (along with WLU) and fellow Catholic institution. They are NDC's gateway to the MEC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X