Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shepherd August 21st scrimmage

Here are my takeaways from the scrimmage today. The offense is definitely behind the defense right now. Bagent looked efficient but really no designed plays to stretch the field. Swartz had some nice receptions out of the backfield but the offensive line couldn't open any holes against the defense. WR#13 Marlon Cook looked to be Bagent's go to guy. The rest of the wide receivers are very short. The defensive front seven appeared very stout with some depth. The defensive backs and safeties play soft coverage looking to capitalize on mistakes. The special teams needs a lot of work and was the one area of concern that I saw. There's still time to improve for the Ohio Dominican game. We'll see how everything pans out in the regular season.

Originally posted by Monte's Catering Co. View Post
    Here are my takeaways from the scrimmage today. The offense is definitely behind the defense right now. Bagent looked efficient but really no designed plays to stretch the field. Swartz had some nice receptions out of the backfield but the offensive line couldn't open any holes against the defense. WR#13 Marlon Cook looked to be Bagent's go to guy. The rest of the wide receivers are very short. The defensive front seven appeared very stout with some depth. The defensive backs and safeties play soft coverage looking to capitalize on mistakes. The special teams needs a lot of work and was the one area of concern that I saw. There's still time to improve for the Ohio Dominican game. We'll see how everything pans out in the regular season.
    Still time to get things in order. Thank goodness for the Out of Conference game to tune up some things.

Comment

I think we will be fine, this may be one of the better Shepherd defenses we have seen in recent years. A lot of speed and experience. The only concerns I have are at WR and CB.

Our coach is is very confident in this group. I am excited to get the season started.

Comment

The D almost always has a huge advantage in these scrimmages. They know the signals, plays, etc.

Comment

On the future -- did you see any of Lek Powell after Bagent went off? I know his dad well -- he was a Ship assistant for about a decade -- and he had a great year at Harrisburg's Bishop McDevitt last fall.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepFan1 View Post
            I think we will be fine, this may be one of the better Shepherd defenses we have seen in recent years. A lot of speed and experience. The only concerns I have are at WR and CB.

Our coach is is very confident in this group. I am excited to get the season started.
            Like the 2014/2015 Shepherd defenses?

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
              On the future -- did you see any of Lek Powell after Bagent went off? I know his dad well -- he was a Ship assistant for about a decade -- and he had a great year at Harrisburg's Bishop McDevitt last fall.
              Yes, he saw some action. My takeaways are he's a bit undersized which only concerns me at this level with injuries. He has a strong arm and threaded a few balls though tight coverage. He will need to adjust to the speed of the college game and make quicker decisions. But all the negatives here can all be remedied with time and practice. You can definitely see the potential!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Like the 2014/2015 Shepherd defenses?
                I think the front seven will be very good. The linebacker group is one of the best collectively as I've seen. Defense as an entirety, I'm not sure they'll match the calibre defenses we had then, but it'll all depend on pass coverage.

Comment

Will Swartz be the featured back for the Rams this season? Or committee approach? Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Man View Post
                    Will Swartz be the featured back for the Rams this season? Or committee approach? Thoughts?
                    He'll split time to start the year with Hebron. They are a good complement to each other as Schwartz is much bigger then Hebron so maybe a little thunder and lightning thing. Big game tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

He'll split time to start the year with Hebron. They are a good complement to each other as Schwartz is much bigger then Hebron so maybe a little thunder and lightning thing. Big game tonight!
                      The winner gets Bishop Sycamore at midnight. They are -- in theory -- from Columbus.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The winner gets Bishop Sycamore at midnight. They are -- in theory -- from Columbus.
                        They'll play anywhere at anytime... maybe IUP can squeeze them in as a cupcake this weekend? lol

Comment

Thanks. I drafted him in my D2 FFLeague hoping he would benefit from a lot of carrier.

Comment

They'll play anywhere at anytime... maybe IUP can squeeze them in as a cupcake this weekend? lol
                            A lot has been said about IUP playing 10 games (mostly by its own fans). That said, when this season is done I'd bet more than half the teams in the league will play 10 or less games.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

A lot has been said about IUP playing 10 games (mostly by its own fans). That said, when this season is done I'd bet more than half the teams in the league will play 10 or less games.
                              Unfortunately, your probably right. Hopefully they figure it out though.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X