Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bart View Post
    KU and Bloom both at 14 first downs today, but KU converted on 2 fourth down conversions; one for a TD from the 1 yard line with 6 seconds before half was a killer.

KU rushed for 44 yards on 34 attempts, but hurt Bloom with a long passing game, averaging over 18 yards a catch. Time of possession was almost even.

KU 4-4 in the redzone. Bloom 1-1.

Bloom's short passing when they needed to get 10 yards on 3rd or 4th down, boggles the mind. They also misfired on a couple of open receivers. Not a good outing.

Attendance:3282. I was expecting more since it was parents day. Covid and a losing team may keep some home.
    Alot of negative things to talk about and not alot of positives happening with the program right now. I'm one never to fly the negativity banner for sure and I usually try to remain positive, but wow.......not sure what to say about this.....Again, Gooden seeing little to no action. I realize he may not be what he was. But give the kid an opportunity. What do you have to lose. The QB play is subpar at best, D backs lose revievers in routes......if they win 2 of the last 4 they will be lucky.

Comment

KU and Bloom both at 14 first downs today, but KU converted on 2 fourth down conversions; one for a TD from the 1 yard line with 6 seconds before half was a killer.

KU rushed for 44 yards on 34 attempts, but hurt Bloom with a long passing game, averaging over 18 yards a catch. Time of possession was almost even.

KU 4-4 in the redzone. Bloom 1-1.

Bloom's short passing when they needed to get 10 yards on 3rd or 4th down, boggles the mind. They also misfired on a couple of open receivers. Not a good outing.

Attendance:3282. I was expecting more since it was parents day. Covid and a losing team may keep some home.

Comment

It appears Bloom is focused on playing younger players in hopes of building something for the future. Sheptock has a history of rewarding players who practice hared by putting them on the travel squad and giving some playing time. I don't how the older players are practicing, but they aren't on the field. Is that strictly the HC's call? I would guess the coordinators are deciding who best fits into their schemes.

Talk about a veteran who can't be replaced, it would be DE Simon. He played mostly on the interior line yesterday, and had a great game. Give me 3 more like him up front. Leiby would be another veteran who could have made a difference this year. All things being equal, Bloom is developing players for the future. At least I hope they are.

Comment

It appears Bloom is focused on playing younger players in hopes of building something for the future. Sheptock has a history of rewarding players who practice hared by putting them on the travel squad and giving some playing time. I don't how the older players are practicing, but they aren't on the field. Is that strictly the HC's call? I would guess the coordinators are deciding who best fits into their schemes.

Talk about a veteran who can't be replaced, it would be DE Simon. He played mostly on the interior line yesterday, and had a great game. Give me 3 more like him up front. Leiby would be another veteran who could have made a difference this year. All things being equal, Bloom is developing players for the future. At least I hope they are.
          All players are practicing hard. It seems that they are playing their recruiting classes and sticking it to the older players. Example is - Tilford was healthy and didn't get in for 1 play yesterday, but yet was a starter earlier in the season and was playing well. When you have skilled experienced players that are able to play, you don't sit them just to play the younger kids to "Hopefully " build for the future. I'm all for putting the best players on the field to be competitive and win games, despite age and tenure. I heard from a parent that has a kid on the team that there is alot of turmoil within the program. You talked about lack of play by WR Arrington, well he was a veteran player that was getting screwed, left the team. I believe that they may lose some additional veteran players that have eligibility left that don't come back for next season.
          They got rid of Paul Darrah because of his lack of winning and performance, but it doesn't look much different with the new regime.
          I do agree with Bart that Leiby would have make a big difference offense. As I said in one of my earlier posts, I saw him at the one in squad scrimmage and he looked really good. It's a shame he couldn't return yet this season.
          Last edited by Footballfanofall; 10-10-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Footballfanofall View Post

All players are practicing hard. It seems that they are playing their recruiting classes and sticking it to the older players. Example is - Tilford was healthy and didn't get in for 1 play yesterday, but yet was a starter earlier in the season and was playing well. When you have skilled experienced players that are able to play, you don't sit them just to play the younger kids to "Hopefully " build for the future. I'm all for putting the best players on the field to be competitive and win games, despite age and tenure. I heard from a parent that has a kid on the team that there is alot of turmoil within the program. You talked about lack of play by WR Arrington, well he was a veteran player that was getting screwed, left the team. I believe that they may lose some additional veteran players that have eligibility left that don't come back for next season.
            They got rid of Paul Darrah because of his lack of winning and performance, but it doesn't look much different with the new regime.
            I do agree with Bart that Leiby would have make a big difference offense. As I said in one of my earlier posts, I saw him at the one in squad scrimmage and he looked really good. It's a shame he couldn't return yet this season.
            As an outsider, I think the problems at Bloom might go beyond one season or one sport or one coach. My point of reference is that I recall the types of comments when the Wrestling program started to slide. Arguably, FB and Wrestling have traditionally been the important sports at Bloom ( I think BB is holding its own).

10 years ago, under Stutzman Bloom Wrestling was flying high. When Stutzman moved on, they hired Mester who had no PA/NJ connections and he didn't last long. Now the relevant part. After Mester's departure, Bloom hired the current guy out of Ashland, a D2 program, He was D2 all the way, as a competitor and as an asst. coach. Basically, the widespread sentiment was that you don't hire a D2 guy to lead a D1 program. It's a totally different world.

As for FB, they had the time to conduct a truly national search. As a result of their truly national search, they hired a local HS coach. I get it that Berwick High isn't just any high school and that Sheptock is a Bloom HOF player himself. He coached many years at D3 Wilkes and had a mediocre record and he was bouncing around from place to place in his career. To an outsider, it appeared that his playing legacy weighed heavily in the decision to hire him. Or, perhaps politics was involved.

So, we will see what happens with Bloom sports in the near future. I've read Bloom insiders talking about these decisions with frustration and I think they may be right that the problems start above the HC level.

Comment

Originally posted by Footballfanofall View Post

I agree that the best players should be on the field, and I think the older players should be first in line. I don't like hearing about players leaving for lack of playing time or poor morale in the program. However, it probably wouldn't have mattered this year in terms of winning, it would just delay another losing season till next year. After cleaning house with the coaching changes, it is not unexpected that players would have the same fate. We are witnessing an attempt to build a team from the ground up, and time will tell if this philosophy works. I wanted Darrah to stay, and voiced my objection. I don't like it, but the proof will be in the pudding, and that will take a couple more years. Let's face it, although this is a sport, the coaches are judged by winning in the end. It's their jobs on the line.

Comment

I agree that the best players should be on the field, and I think the older players should be first in line. I don't like hearing about players leaving for lack of playing time or poor morale in the program. However, it probably wouldn't have mattered this year in terms of winning, it would just delay another losing season till next year. After cleaning house with the coaching changes, it is not unexpected that players would have the same fate. We are witnessing an attempt to build a team from the ground up, and time will tell if this philosophy works. I wanted Darrah to stay, and voiced my objection. I don't like it, but the proof will be in the pudding, and that will take a couple more years. Let's face it, although this is a sport, the coaches are judged by winning in the end. It's their jobs on the line.
                As my icon shows I've been following this site for 12 years. Back then what little I knew about the East was the big guns seemed to be BLOOM, ESU SHIP and WCU. Recently the situation has been shifting to SHIP, KUTZ, WCU and SHEP. It will be interesting to see if and when the Hushpuppies and Worriers get it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

As my icon shows I've been following this site for 12 years. Back then what little I knew about the East was the big guns seemed to be BLOOM, ESU SHIP and WCU. Recently the situation has been shifting to SHIP, KUTZ, WCU and SHEP. It will be interesting to see if and when the Hushpuppies and Worriers get it back together.
                  I started following this site in 2000 when Bloom was on a playoff run to the National Championship game. It appeared they would always be competitive going forward. Reality set in over the next few years when they never returned. I guess there will always be room for improvement, since perfection is not a human attribute.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

As an outsider, I think the problems at Bloom might go beyond one season or one sport or one coach. My point of reference is that I recall the types of comments when the Wrestling program started to slide. Arguably, FB and Wrestling have traditionally been the important sports at Bloom ( I think BB is holding its own).

10 years ago, under Stutzman Bloom Wrestling was flying high. When Stutzman moved on, they hired Mester who had no PA/NJ connections and he didn't last long. Now the relevant part. After Mester's departure, Bloom hired the current guy out of Ashland, a D2 program, He was D2 all the way, as a competitor and as an asst. coach. Basically, the widespread sentiment was that you don't hire a D2 guy to lead a D1 program. It's a totally different world.

As for FB, they had the time to conduct a truly national search. As a result of their truly national search, they hired a local HS coach. I get it that Berwick High isn't just any high school and that Sheptock is a Bloom HOF player himself. He coached many years at D3 Wilkes and had a mediocre record and he was bouncing around from place to place in his career. To an outsider, it appeared that his playing legacy weighed heavily in the decision to hire him. Or, perhaps politics was involved.

So, we will see what happens with Bloom sports in the near future. I've read Bloom insiders talking about these decisions with frustration and I think they may be right that the problems start above the HC level.
                    I think the AD wants all teams to rise at the same time and get the same treatment. Some athletic departments believe in the trickle down approach, where a successful program brings name recognition and pulls up the other teams.

As another IUP poster said, maybe the $10 million dollar donation to athletics was given for a former teammate to become the HC. I know I offered 10 million Venezuela sovereign bolivia to maintain the former coaching staff.

Comment

I think the AD wants all teams to rise at the same time and get the same treatment. Some athletic departments believe in the trickle down approach, where a successful program brings name recognition and pulls up the other teams.

As another IUP poster said, maybe the $10 million dollar donation to athletics was given for a former teammate to become the HC. I know I offered 10 million Venezuela sovereign bolivia to maintain the former coaching staff.
                      You might not be able to exchange that currency in Columbia County. You might have to drive out to Wilkes-Barre.

Comment

This program is a joke, this wanna be has preached family but puts players against each other the whole season. Some of these seniors have played since their freshman year and have given everything to the program and now get their starting spots taken for no reason but to play his recruits. Im all about play the best players but I hope these freshman see what this dude is doing to the seniors because they will be there someday. I guess a 10 million dollar handout gets you a coaching job. He gets no respect and I pray that these people in charge come sit in the stands and listen to the disappointment. Now this week bloom plays a lesser rated team and he will smile and take credit if they can pull it out but all the losses were on the players. Get a clue. Anyone that knows even a little about football can see your attitude is horrible and leadership in non existent. Take a look around and the true leaders to this team are standing in front of you but your to blind to see. Its sad to see the boys faces week in and week out.

Comment

Originally posted by Areyouserious View Post
                          This program is a joke, this wanna be has preached family but puts players against each other the whole season. Some of these seniors have played since their freshman year and have given everything to the program and now get their starting spots taken for no reason but to play his recruits. Im all about play the best players but I hope these freshman see what this dude is doing to the seniors because they will be there someday. I guess a 10 million dollar handout gets you a coaching job. He gets no respect and I pray that these people in charge come sit in the stands and listen to the disappointment. Now this week bloom plays a lesser rated team and he will smile and take credit if they can pull it out but all the losses were on the players. Get a clue. Anyone that knows even a little about football can see your attitude is horrible and leadership in non existent. Take a look around and the true leaders to this team are standing in front of you but your to blind to see. Its sad to see the boys faces week in and week out.
                          That sounds like the real world. I worked 33 years in an institution, and at the last staff meeting, my boss told me to shut up. Don't let the bastards get you down.

Comment

That's a debut post if I've ever seen one.

Question (as I don't follow Bloom much):

Is the HC seat getting warm? What is the opinion of the heavy hitter donors?

If not, his strategy appears to say we're likely going to lose certain games either way so why not at least get the young kids better for tomorrow. Sucks for the older guys. No doubt. But, as long as he's the HC, it's his decision on how to build.

And, as you said, most of these older guys he's pi$$ing off will transfer anyway. Five more games and they are gone. Bloom obviously isn't making the playoffs so why not build for next season? There is no experience in Football better than game experience.

A newer coach will always pay a little more attention to his recruits. Those are 'his' kids. Coaches won't come out and say it but it is very common.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's a debut post if I've ever seen one.

Question (as I don't follow Bloom much):

Is the HC seat getting warm? What is the opinion of the heavy hitter donors?

If not, his strategy appears to say we're likely going to lose certain games either way so why not at least get the young kids better for tomorrow. Sucks for the older guys. No doubt. But, as long as he's the HC, it's his decision on how to build.

And, as you said, most of these older guys he's pi$$ing off will transfer anyway. Five more games and they are gone. Bloom obviously isn't making the playoffs so why not build for next season? There is no experience in Football better than game experience.

A newer coach will always pay a little more attention to his recruits. Those are 'his' kids. Coaches won't come out and say it but it is very common.
                              That is called piss poor leadership, that tells all players that its ok for the coach to quit on you quick, yes that is life but once again show some respect for the older guys. They paid their dues and still producing. But because your a horrible coach you just blame the players. I sit and listen in the stands, its not just the older guys that are ready to go.

Comment

That is called piss poor leadership, that tells all players that its ok for the coach to quit on you quick, yes that is life but once again show some respect for the older guys. They paid their dues and still producing. But because your a horrible coach you just blame the players. I sit and listen in the stands, its not just the older guys that are ready to go.
                                Every coach preaches family, and everyone expects the sport to give them self-esteem and pleasure in playing, but it is a violent, competitive sport. Players will abandon a losing team, no doubt, but if they equate worth with failure and success, they'll be doomed to feelings of worthlessness.

Looking at the roster, there are 80 players who never saw the college field before this year. I counted about 10 seniors who probably graduate, 7 are getting sometime on the field. Upper classmen are starting. There are maybe 3 more who got plenty of time in the past and are not getting it now. Are you a player or parent of a player?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X