Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

The Wawas only goes as far west as Lancaster County. They are in Berks, the Lehigh Valley and few of the lower Poconos Counties along with the Philadelphia Metro or as we call it...The Delaware Valley. They literally ceded the rest of Pennsylvania to Sheetz.

Sheetz is probably mad they didn't invade Flori-duh like Wawa did...they have to be making a killing down there.
    The Turkey Hill's in the Dutch Country kind of muddy the Wawa-Sheetz waters, But, yeah,, when Wawa moves in with the big stores now and the gas pumps. Turkey Hill isn't even going to try to compete. They do have local loyalty, though.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The Turkey Hill's in the Dutch Country kind of muddy the Wawa-Sheetz waters, But, yeah,, when Wawa moves in with the big stores now and the gas pumps. Turkey Hill isn't even going to try to compete. They do have local loyalty, though.
      We have few Turkey Hill's in Chester County but they aren't on the level of The Wawas even with gas pumps.

Royal Farms has moved in but again even with the really good Fried Chicken...they don't get the traffic like The Wawas.

Every 16 year old should have their driving test done in a Wawa Parking Lot. If you don't hit anything or anyone, you pass.

Within 2-2.5 miles of my building...there are three big Wawas. It's a little overkill but every one of them is a thee ring circus in the parking lots.

The closest Sheetz to me is in Morgantown, Berks County...like 15 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Here in the country. we have Ike Godsey's Mercantile Store which has groceries. post office, gas station, pool hall, and good food.

Comment

Clarion had 1,721 on Saturday.

Comment

IUP's last (5) home openers:
            2021 5,180 Kutztown
            2019 2,798 New Haven
            2018 3,514 Millersville (Thursday night)
            2017 3,235 Ashland (Thursday night)
            2016 2,500 East Stroudsburg
            The Ashland game had easily 4,500+ there ... that was in the 'we can't count and leave all (7) gates basically unsupervised' era.

I do think if you'd look at the PSAC, historically, the opener does draw well for most schools. 'Well' of course being compared to the rest of the season. If you look at attendance king SRU, even their gate takes a major dive as the season goes along.

I'd easily peg IUP to break 5,000 again this Saturday. Shepherd travels well. Kutztown did not. We all get a nice bump for Homecoming ... but then the real test begins. As a league, we put up some really ugly numbers in the last third of the season. The die-hards come regardless of the weather, but we tend to lose the fringe fans.

Comment

If Ship handles business against Clarion Saturday then I forsee the Bloomsburg game with decent weather bringing at least 5000 fans to Seth Grove Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                IUP's last (5) home openers:
                2021 5,180 Kutztown
                2019 2,798 New Haven
                2018 3,514 Millersville (Thursday night)
                2017 3,235 Ashland (Thursday night)
                2016 2,500 East Stroudsburg
                The Ashland game had easily 4,500+ there ... that was in the 'we can't count and leave all (7) gates basically unsupervised' era.

I do think if you'd look at the PSAC, historically, the opener does draw well for most schools. 'Well' of course being compared to the rest of the season. If you look at attendance king SRU, even their gate takes a major dive as the season goes along.

I'd easily peg IUP to break 5,000 again this Saturday. Shepherd travels well. Kutztown did not. We all get a nice bump for Homecoming ... but then the real test begins. As a league, we put up some really ugly numbers in the last third of the season. The die-hards come regardless of the weather, but we tend to lose the fringe fans.
                I was at two of those games 2016 and 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Rock has a great visitor side but man does it feel far away from the action. Have they at least added bathrooms on the visitor side?
                  Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    Rock has historically always been a good draw. Edinboro is pretty consistent in the 3,000-4,000 range with around 7,000 on Homecoming. Might break 8,000 this year with Rock and good weather. Edinboro might have had more but they also had their annual Scottish Highland Games going on.

I think IUP is the big surprise - but Cal's drop is odd too.
                    I hope SRU fans weren't TOO confused by the atmosphere Saturday night. Both the scoreboard and the stadium PA announcer kept calling ESU "Stroudsburg" the entire night. I can assure you, Stroudsburg has never played Slippery Rock in college football, because contrary to what they would have you believe at Slippery Rock, Stroudburg isn't the name of the school.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
                      If Ship handles business against Clarion Saturday then I forsee the Bloomsburg game with decent weather bringing at least 5000 fans to Seth Grove Stadium.
                      Well, I'll be one of them if we get good weather. That's usually a decent game regardless of records. Our attendance fell off by an unusual amount at the end of 2019 as the team just wasn't competitive against the top of the league and some of the opponents were not high caliber. I'm hoping for better things this season. I think this team has potential, but we're probably middle-of-the-pack right now.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

We have few Turkey Hill's in Chester County but they aren't on the level of The Wawas even with gas pumps.

Royal Farms has moved in but again even with the really good Fried Chicken...they don't get the traffic like The Wawas.

Every 16 year old should have their driving test done in a Wawa Parking Lot. If you don't hit anything or anyone, you pass.

Within 2-2.5 miles of my building...there are three big Wawas. It's a little overkill but every one of them is a thee ring circus in the parking lots.

The closest Sheetz to me is in Morgantown, Berks County...like 15 miles away.
                        The Turkey Hill near the Downingtown train station on West Lancaster wasn't exactly what I'd call "modern" and that was about 12 years ago since I last used that store regularly. I'm sure the Super Wawa at 322 and Boot (and I remember when that was a strip mall, complete with a Pizza Hut delivery store, with the Wawa at the corner of said strip mall) siphoned a lot of business from that Turkey Hill (and for that matter, the Wawa on Wallace Ave near the park).

And don't even get me started on the TH on the east side of Lincoln Highway (8th or 9th Ave and 30, if I recall correctly) in Coatesville...
                        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Playoffs aside, as many have said what else is there to do in the Mon Valley on a bright Saturday afternoon. With an average record of 9-3 for the decade, 5-1 at home, it's not like showing up at Hubert Jack or Biemesderfer for the ritual shellacking of the home team. If I had moved back to the 'Burg as had been considered, it certainly would be part of my weekend ritual. 400+ miles from Queens, NY not so much. It makes my old heart ache. Oh well.
                          Considering that the options for entertainment in the Peoples Republic of Cal Borough are virtually non existent, other that three or four sketchy bars and a town center which makes Clairton look like Avalon (unless they've actually made massive improvements since I last set foot in that hell-hole town, which was about five years ago - which I highly doubt), it's no wonder that the students flee like rats on a Friday afternoon. That sure doesn't help attendance for home football games at all.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I hope SRU fans weren't TOO confused by the atmosphere Saturday night. Both the scoreboard and the stadium PA announcer kept calling ESU "Stroudsburg" the entire night. I can assure you, Stroudsburg has never played Slippery Rock in college football, because contrary to what they would have you believe at Slippery Rock, Stroudburg isn't the name of the school.
                            You expected Gym Teachers to know the difference? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

The Turkey Hill near the Downingtown train station on West Lancaster wasn't exactly what I'd call "modern" and that was about 12 years ago since I last used that store regularly. I'm sure the Super Wawa at 322 and Boot (and I remember when that was a strip mall, complete with a Pizza Hut delivery store, with the Wawa at the corner of said strip mall) siphoned a lot of business from that Turkey Hill (and for that matter, the Wawa on Wallace Ave near the park).

And don't even get me started on the TH on the east side of Lincoln Highway (8th or 9th Ave and 30, if I recall correctly) in Coatesville...

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Considering that the options for entertainment in the Peoples Republic of Cal Borough are virtually non existent, other that three or four sketchy bars and a town center which makes Clairton look like Avalon (unless they've actually made massive improvements since I last set foot in that hell-hole town, which was about five years ago - which I highly doubt), it's no wonder that the students flee like rats on a Friday afternoon. That sure doesn't help attendance for home football games at all.
                                Last edited by IUPNation; 09-15-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X