Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kutztown 2021

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this server, but I occasionally come in to see what the discussion is like around Kutztown Golden Bears football. I'm kind of surprised that there aren't any other Kutztown fans in here. Let me begin by saying that yesterday's loss is the kind that stings real bad. Even after that last second game winning td; I couldn't be more proud of this team. This team lost a lot of key players from 2019 and were expected to finish 3rd in the division. Yet, not only did they win the East again; but also won the PSAC as well and advanced to the Quarterfinals. The offense somehow managed to do well enough even behind consistently poor QB play from Nickel. The defense was exciting to watch, probably the best one I can recall. Twice this season we beat a team ranked in the top 10. Clements is most likely heading to Lafayette or Lehigh if they fire their HC; something I always knew would happen eventually after the 2018 season. It'll be sad to see the programs best HC ever leave, but I know it'll be a great opportunity for him. I think this is probably the most special Kutztown football team I have ever experienced, and I'm glad I was to witness it.

A great team. Not many weaknesses and was very well coached. So was Shepard and take nothing away from Shippensburg this year. The East had 3 great teams!

Comment

There are several other Kutztown fans on the board.

I can tell you from someone who was at the game yesterday and around a bunch of other Shepherd fans, while we were obviously elated with how the game ended and much preferred to see Shepherd advance, many commented about feeling bad for the Kutztown fans and players afterward because we realized the emotional roller coaster and the toll taken having victory stolen from 'em at the very end. Our side was empathetic with the Golden Bear family.

The Golden Bears, despite a 0-21 deficit, appeared to stick with the run and their overall game plan. The team never gave up, overcoming that hole to outscore the Rams 28-3 between the pick-six and the Hail Mary. For 59:53 of the game, Kutztown held the Rams to 17 offensive points--a Shepherd team that's supposed to be a ("the" ?) top offense in the country. I was at the September game in Shepherdstown and that game concerned me. Shepherd rarely loses, but when they too it's often because they find a way to beat themselves. But not that game--that game it felt that Shepherd was out-coached and out-executed.

Hats off to a strong program who had an outstanding season which should pay dividends going forward (recruiting, respect, etc.). Both teams deserved to advance, but only one could. Kutztown's players gave everything they had and have every reason to hold their heads high.

Of course the loss of the head coach (and any assistants he takes with him) when he eventually moves on may throw a wrench in the program, but any opportunities that come their way are well deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny_Tim_5 View Post
        Hello everyone,

I'm new to this server, but I occasionally come in to see what the discussion is like around Kutztown Golden Bears football. I'm kind of surprised that there aren't any other Kutztown fans in here. Let me begin by saying that yesterday's loss is the kind that stings real bad. Even after that last second game winning td; I couldn't be more proud of this team. This team lost a lot of key players from 2019 and were expected to finish 3rd in the division. Yet, not only did they win the East again; but also won the PSAC as well and advanced to the Quarterfinals. The offense somehow managed to do well enough even behind consistently poor QB play from Nickel. The defense was exciting to watch, probably the best one I can recall. Twice this season we beat a team ranked in the top 10. Clements is most likely heading to Lafayette or Lehigh if they fire their HC; something I always knew would happen eventually after the 2018 season. It'll be sad to see the programs best HC ever leave, but I know it'll be a great opportunity for him. I think this is probably the most special Kutztown football team I have ever experienced, and I'm glad I was to witness it.
        Should Clements leave, it will be critical to continue building on the solid foundation he built. Although I'm not a fan of a knee jerk reaction to move up one of the coordinators, in this case it might be the smart choice to avoid backsliding. Not at all familiar with the KU staff but maybe you or others can suggest the best possibility if they choose to go that route. It was a great season for your GOLDEN BEARS and I'm bit worried my VULCANS may get clawed in Wk 2 next year. Be very happy KU isn't involved in the consolidation !!!

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Should Clements leave, it will be critical to continue building on the solid foundation he built. Although I'm not a fan of a knee jerk reaction to move up one of the coordinators, in this case it might be the smart choice to avoid backsliding. Not at all familiar with the KU staff but maybe you or others can suggest the best possibility if they choose to go that route. It was a great season for your GOLDEN BEARS and I'm bit worried my VULCANS may get clawed in Wk 2 next year. Be very happy KU isn't involved in the consolidation !!!
          If he gets the opportunity, I think he would take it. He might bring his coordinators and a few assistants with him unless we offer the HC job to either coordinator. The previous HC for Assumption took the Holy Cross job and look what he's doing for that program. I think Clements would produce similar results in a few years for whoever brings him on.

Comment

Originally posted by Futurelooksbright View Post
            A great team. Not many weaknesses and was very well coached. So was Shepard and take nothing away from Shippensburg this year. The East had 3 great teams!
            As a Ship fan thanks for the compliment, but the Raiders were not on the level of Shepherd and Kutztown this season as the games with them clearly proved. I thought Mac did a good coaching job for us with all the changes that were thrown at everyone, and there was enough young talent on the team to make me somewhat optimistic for the future. We'll need to replace a couple of decent receivers and also Mussina if he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny_Tim_5 View Post

If he gets the opportunity, I think he would take it. He might bring his coordinators and a few assistants with him unless we offer the HC job to either coordinator. The previous HC for Assumption took the Holy Cross job and look what he's doing for that program. I think Clements would produce similar results in a few years for whoever brings him on.
              FWIW, both of Jim Clements' coordinators are Lafayette alumni and former Leopards players. If Clements does move to Lafayette, it wouldn't be shock if one or both of his coordinators come with him. I will note there have some rumors linking Lafayette with former Nevada head coach Brian Polian (the son of long-time NFL GM Bill Polian). Most people who are Lafayette fans or follow Lafayette football think the younger Polian would be a terrible hire, and some of those fans do like Clements as a candidate.

Bob Chesney (Holy Cross head coach, former Assumption head coach) is another name some people on the Temple and Any Given Saturday (DI-AA/FCS focused) message boards have mentioned for both the Temple and Delaware head coaching jobs. He's spent his entire head coaching career in New England, but is a central Pennsylvania native and was an assistant coach at schools in the region before starting his head coaching career.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

FWIW, both of Jim Clements' coordinators are Lafayette alumni and former Leopards players. If Clements does move to Lafayette, it wouldn't be shock if one or both of his coordinators come with him. I will note there have some rumors linking Lafayette with former Nevada head coach Brian Polian (the son of long-time NFL GM Bill Polian). Most people who are Lafayette fans or follow Lafayette football think the younger Polian would be a terrible hire, and some of those fans do like Clements as a candidate.

Bob Chesney (Holy Cross head coach, former Assumption head coach) is another name some people on the Temple and Any Given Saturday (DI-AA/FCS focused) message boards have mentioned for both the Temple and Delaware head coaching jobs. He's spent his entire head coaching career in New England, but is a central Pennsylvania native and was an assistant coach at schools in the region before starting his head coaching career.
                There's a former head coach with his resume & house on the market in Clinton County.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

As a Ship fan thanks for the compliment, but the Raiders were not on the level of Shepherd and Kutztown this season as the games with them clearly proved. I thought Mac did a good coaching job for us with all the changes that were thrown at everyone, and there was enough young talent on the team to make me somewhat optimistic for the future. We'll need to replace a couple of decent receivers and also Mussina if he's gone.
                  Mussina is gone. Think Maine transfer McCracken

Comment

Originally posted by Boro33 View Post

Mussina is gone. Think Maine transfer McCracken
                    Figured he was as he took the field for Senior Day honors, which you typically don't do unless it's your last home game. Ship shouid have some interesting competition in the QB room next season.

Comment

Nice to see another Kutztown fan on here. I know I've seen a few others over the years, but it feels like I was the only one in here posting the last few weeks of the season.

This was a special team. I've got great memories of this, 2019, and 2011. I know they were great in 2010 too, but for whatever reason it's the 2011 team I remember more.

Nickel was not a great QB from a QB play standpoint, but I think he had very underrated leadership qualities. Twice this season he led Kutztown on game winning drives against ESU and West Chester (yes, it was a bad non-call, but he still put them in position to win) and seemed to have command of the team out on the field. I think he deserves a little more credit.

I do wonder how great this team may have been if it had this defense paired with either the 2010/2011 Morton led offenses or the 2018/2019 DiGalbo led offenses. I hope the program continues to succeed, because I remember when I started at Kutztown way back in the Fall '06 semester it was not a program with a great football history. Selfishly, I really hope Clements stayed, but I wish him luck wherever he goes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

While generally that is the best way to do it, it doesn't always work out. Kutztown did that back in 2013 when they promoted Drew Folmar after Monica left only for him to be dismissed after a single 4-7 season. It may have been a knee jerk reaction but it did lead to the hiring of Clements and the nice little run that Kutztown University football is having right now.

Edit: Please disregard this post, I was entirely incorrect.
                        Last edited by KU_2014; 12-07-2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepAlum View Post
                          There are several other Kutztown fans on the board.

I can tell you from someone who was at the game yesterday and around a bunch of other Shepherd fans, while we were obviously elated with how the game ended and much preferred to see Shepherd advance, many commented about feeling bad for the Kutztown fans and players afterward because we realized the emotional roller coaster and the toll taken having victory stolen from 'em at the very end. Our side was empathetic with the Golden Bear family.

The Golden Bears, despite a 0-21 deficit, appeared to stick with the run and their overall game plan. The team never gave up, overcoming that hole to outscore the Rams 28-3 between the pick-six and the Hail Mary. For 59:53 of the game, Kutztown held the Rams to 17 offensive points--a Shepherd team that's supposed to be a ("the" ?) top offense in the country. I was at the September game in Shepherdstown and that game concerned me. Shepherd rarely loses, but when they too it's often because they find a way to beat themselves. But not that game--that game it felt that Shepherd was out-coached and out-executed.

Hats off to a strong program who had an outstanding season which should pay dividends going forward (recruiting, respect, etc.). Both teams deserved to advance, but only one could. Kutztown's players gave everything they had and have every reason to hold their heads high.

Of course the loss of the head coach (and any assistants he takes with him) when he eventually moves on may throw a wrench in the program, but any opportunities that come their way are well deserved.
                          I was also at the game, and will say that I felt a lot of respect coming from the Shepherd sideline (players, coaches, and fans). That's not something you always get with big time programs in all sports at all levels.

Personally, I was devastated. I was sitting at the top of the home stands aside of the band and had to just stand there for a few minutes processing losing that way. I still feel kind of devastated, and I definitely let my emotions get the better of me on that DPI call in the other thread (and made some other posts in that thread I am absolutely not proud of), but at the end of the day I don't mind losing to an opponent such as Shepherd that I felt clearly respects their opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by KU_2014 View Post

I was also at the game, and will say that I felt a lot of respect coming from the Shepherd sideline (players, coaches, and fans). That's not something you always get with big time programs in all sports at all levels.

Personally, I was devastated. I was sitting at the top of the home stands aside of the band and had to just stand there for a few minutes processing losing that way. I still feel kind of devastated, and I definitely let my emotions get the better of me on that DPI call in the other thread (and made some other posts in that thread I am absolutely not proud of), but at the end of the day I don't mind losing to an opponent such as Shepherd that I felt clearly respects their opponents.
                            I was at the game on the Shepherd side. I didn't really think Shepherd was going to pull it out but having seen the NDC game first hand I knew it wasn't over until it was over and after going bats--t crazy for a minute after the hail mary I noticed the KU fans on the other side standing there looking absolutely stunned and I remember thinking how awful whatever you all were feeling must have felt going from elation to total deflation in less than 5 minutes of real time. KU has good coaching and good players who execute well and from what I know the Shepherd players have nothing but respect for that side.

But someone had to win and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want it to be Shepherd. I'm praying for a few more 5 gallon buckets of magic this weekend lol...

Comment

Originally posted by KU_2014 View Post

While generally that is the best way to do it, it doesn't always work out. Kutztown did that back in 2013 when they promoted Drew Folmar after Monica left only for him to be dismissed after a single 4-7 season. It may have been a knee jerk reaction but it did lead to the hiring of Clements and the nice little run that Kutztown University football is having right now.
                              Drew Folmar was not dismissed. He left to be the OC at Lehigh and has remained an OC since then.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X