X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Do you guys not want them to recruit good players?
    No. I want IUP to recruit all of the best players and steam roll everyone.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Their stadium is worse than IUP's other than the view. So if facilities matter...why are they choosing a school that doesn't have a lot of scholarship money and a stadium that only has one seating area. Did they steal all of Bloomsburg;s foosball money? I mean this is a triad school...they aren't supposed to have money.
    Do you guys not want them to recruit good players?

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by CUlater View Post

agree with here BUT I have seen all of those recruiting classes from those other new hires. if they truly ink all of these guys, they haven't had a recruiting class of this caliber in my lifetime, not even if you combined the best of the best from several classes. Not saying these guys are all, all conference type players in this league but they look very different physically and from an ability standpoint than any of the previous. Hope this helps them become more competitive...will be great for our league if they can.

This reminds me of the class that Millersville had 2 or 3 years ago...I remember commenting on here that I thought it was an outstanding class for them...a couple years later they are seeing the fruits of that.
    Their stadium is worse than IUP's other than the view. So if facilities matter...why are they choosing a school that doesn't have a lot of scholarship money and a stadium that only has one seating area. Did they steal all of Bloomsburg;s foosball money? I mean this is a triad school...they aren't supposed to have money.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

And creating visibility for a program no kids have heard of without a personal connection. In Pittsburgh the only kids who know Lock Haven for athletics are wrestlers and field hockey girls.
    Fantastic. Another line in the already overcrowded pond. Lol.

Well, he must have some money to dangle. Charm and pep talks only go so far to get that dotted line actually signed. Perhaps they've adopted the walk-on philosophy from over in Philly.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

agree with here BUT I have seen all of those recruiting classes from those other new hires. if they truly ink all of these guys, they haven't had a recruiting class of this caliber in my lifetime, not even if you combined the best of the best from several classes. Not saying these guys are all, all conference type players in this league but they look very different physically and from an ability standpoint than any of the previous. Hope this helps them become more competitive...will be great for our league if they can.

This reminds me of the class that Millersville had 2 or 3 years ago...I remember commenting on here that I thought it was an outstanding class for them...a couple years later they are seeing the fruits of that.
    And creating visibility for a program no kids have heard of without a personal connection. In Pittsburgh the only kids who know Lock Haven for athletics are wrestlers and field hockey girls.

Leave a comment:

• CUlater
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Everybody gets transfers. Some are good. Some stink. Who knows. Maybe this will finally be the right guy. But, until I see some wins (or, even competitive losses) I can't get too excited. This has become a broken record up there with every new hire (every couple years). Good news about rock bottom is there's only one way left to go.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Just noticed that Lock Haven also got a kid from North Catholic and several transfers. Their head coach is also a featured speaker at the AFCA convention. Maybe there is something going on up there.
    Everybody gets transfers. Some are good. Some stink. Who knows. Maybe this will finally be the right guy. But, until I see some wins (or, even competitive losses) I can't get too excited. This has become a broken record up there with every new hire (every couple years). Good news about rock bottom is there's only one way left to go.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Just noticed that Lock Haven also got a kid from North Catholic and several transfers. Their head coach is also a featured speaker at the AFCA convention. Maybe there is something going on up there.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    The Haven continues to stack solid commitments. We haven't seen this type of recruiting success out of that program....ever. They are landing some nice players with several offers on the table. Not sure what they are selling but these kids are buying.
    They just got a kid from NY who chose Lock Haven over offers from Stony Brook and Gannon. Stony Brook is FCS and a highly, highly underrated great academic school. As the old commercial goes, "Gotta get to the Haven!"

Leave a comment:

• CUlater
    replied
    The Haven continues to stack solid commitments. We haven't seen this type of recruiting success out of that program....ever. They are landing some nice players with several offers on the table. Not sure what they are selling but these kids are buying.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Not sure if anyone is paying attention but Lock Haven has had an impressive start to the offseason...all things considered. They've landed some solid midyears and have already had a few high school kids commit which is impressive this early for any D2. One thing is for certain, if coach Mulrooney isn't successful there it will not be due to lack of effort or fear of trying something new/different. Good to see some different things happening there and maybe a little momentum building? Hope it translates to the field next fall, long way to go but seems to be some positive energy.
    Ms. Taylor already has her voodoo dolls out and will sabotage it in some way.....from afar.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Several of the 'lesser' MEC programs take the same approach in the WPIAL. They offer everybody. I mentioned Clarion is taking the same approach. Every player I read about has an offer from Clarion, Alderson Broaddus and West Virginia Wesleyan. Now, we're tossing Lock Haven in to the mix as well.

When I was in high school, I'd have had no idea which PSAC teams were good and which weren't. I'd have also never heard of Alderson Broaddus or West Virginia Wesleyan. That was pre-internet, of course. Now you can obviously learn a lot within a couple clicks.

On one hand, I get the approach when trying to pull off a major rebuild. Throw offers everywhere and perhaps you land a couple. Be there early. IUP, Cal and SRU don't offer juniors and sophomores. If they do, it's very rare.

On the other hand, the Walmart approach is hard to hide. Kids notice that they and 178 other people have Clarion offers.

Another item certainly not helping is Duquesne took a large WPIAL haul during the early signing period -- mostly of players I had pegged as PSAC targets.
    Don't forget Wheeling, Lake Erie, and Bluefield State. I remember a few years ago Kentucky State or Kentucky Wesleyan offered every WPIAL kid.

In most years RMU would have as well but its hard to sell kids on an 0-fer season in a conference full of schools you've never heard of and a lot too far for mom & dad to visit. Plus, Dad isn't going to get excited that the coach played for Jimmy Johnson at The U when he was 10 years old in 1988. Duquesne is also getting much more attractive mercenary games than Bob's School of Business. Getting blown out at Hawaii is a lot more attractive than getting blown out in Oxford, Ohio.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Another thing I've noticed is Lock Haven offering WPIAL kids. That's not a territory they typically wade into - but even if they land one or two those will be likely impact players on their current roster.
    Several of the 'lesser' MEC programs take the same approach in the WPIAL. They offer everybody. I mentioned Clarion is taking the same approach. Every player I read about has an offer from Clarion, Alderson Broaddus and West Virginia Wesleyan. Now, we're tossing Lock Haven in to the mix as well.

When I was in high school, I'd have had no idea which PSAC teams were good and which weren't. I'd have also never heard of Alderson Broaddus or West Virginia Wesleyan. That was pre-internet, of course. Now you can obviously learn a lot within a couple clicks.

On one hand, I get the approach when trying to pull off a major rebuild. Throw offers everywhere and perhaps you land a couple. Be there early. IUP, Cal and SRU don't offer juniors and sophomores. If they do, it's very rare.

On the other hand, the Walmart approach is hard to hide. Kids notice that they and 178 other people have Clarion offers.

Another item certainly not helping is Duquesne took a large WPIAL haul during the early signing period -- mostly of players I had pegged as PSAC targets.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Speaking of Lock Haven, they got a big commitment in early December from DL Rakeem Refile (6'4", 300 lbs). His stock has taken off like a rocket the past month.

Long story short, he committed to Lock Haven in early December. Since then, several others have come at him with offers (IUP, West Chester, Shippensburg and Millersville). I get the sense some lower D1's are also now snooping around.

He was "1,000% Committed" to Lock Haven. It will be interesting to see if they can get him to sign the dotted line. Verbal commitments, of course, don't mean a thing, and, of course, there's blood in the water now. The sharks are circling. IUP will likely offer more money and a winning program. West Chester will offer a 'meal plan', etc. SRU probably won't be far behind.

But, even on a small scale (down here in the bus leagues) it just goes to show you nobody cares about the verbal commitments. The recruiting show typically just intensifies.

He'd be a huge get for the Bald Eagles. At this point, however, I have serious doubts they land him.
    Another thing I've noticed is Lock Haven offering WPIAL kids. That's not a territory they typically wade into - but even if they land one or two those will be likely impact players on their current roster.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I'm going to assume that between Pell & PHEAA grants plus athletic aid this kid is probably going for free to any PSAC school that offers. My PASSHE meetings don't include anyone too close to athletics at the north-central triad so I don't know if LHU's athletic scholarship model benefitted from being overseen by Bloom.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X