Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

This!

Nobody cares. Almost nobody will know if IUP made the baseball playoffs or not. As an example, this story has gotten far more attention than any game they played this year.
    Just wait until the sanction is thd difference in IUP missing the playoffs.

The baseball home games had many tweets this season.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 05-03-2023, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Just wait until the sanction is thd difference in IUP missing the playoffs.

The baseball home games had many tweets this season.
      If the sanction is the difference then it’s IUP’s fault. Plain and simple. Counting to 50 seems pretty easy.

Even if they do make the playoffs it’s going to be a short run. PSAC baseball is poor in general. Millersville and Seton Hill are ranked in the top 25, but the drop is steep from there. Not only is IUP not ranked in the Atlantic Region, they don’t have a single vote. The team isn’t the pushover it was a few years ago, but let’s not confuse that with being good. They’re getting way they’re paying for. IUP simply can’t compete with the schools that make baseball a priority in much the same way other schools can’t compete with IUP’s football program.

I heard the home games had many tweets though, LOL.

Comment

If the sanction is the difference then it’s IUP’s fault. Plain and simple. Counting to 50 seems pretty easy.

Even if they do make the playoffs it’s going to be a short run. PSAC baseball is poor in general. Millersville and Seton Hill are ranked in the top 25, but the drop is steep from there. Not only is IUP not ranked in the Atlantic Region, they don’t have a single vote. The team isn’t the pushover it was a few years ago, but let’s not confuse that with being good. They’re getting way they’re paying for. IUP simply can’t compete with the schools that make baseball a priority in much the same way other schools can’t compete with IUP’s football program.

ESU has been nationally ranked several weeks this season, and are currently ranked 3rd in the RR...Former ESU pitcher Matt Festa is currently in the Mariners bullpen... Not too shabby for "poor baseball in general"...

Comment

Yes it would be a short run.

Why are you mocking their social media efforts?

You do remember Walk On U has recent two national titles and made the College World Series again last year? Pee Sack baseball isn’t that bad at the top.
          Last edited by IUPNation; 05-04-2023, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

ESU has been nationally ranked several weeks this season, and are currently ranked 3rd in the RR...Former ESU pitcher Matt Festa is currently in the Mariners bullpen... Not too shabby for "poor baseball in general"...
            …and still only 2-2 vs IUP.

Comment

Yes it would be a short run.

Why are you mocking their social media efforts?

You do remember Walk On U has recent two national titles and made the College World Series again last year? Pee Sack baseball isn’t that bad at the top.

They've taken major steps, but like most programs, you can't go from 2-35 two years ago to winning the PSAC.

Consider, the program had hit rock bottom in 2021 -- finishing with an abysmal 2-35 record. That may be the worst team in IUP history (any sport).

Steve Kline was then hired. His first year (last season) they amazingly went 27-22. That was an incredible turnaround. This year they sit at a disappointing 20-27.

Kline is recruiting well. His young pitchers are unfortunately, well, still young. When you rely on freshmen and sophomores in any college sport ... this is usually what you get (good some days and bad others). The good news is his young kids are getting older, and the next two years they should be very strong.

Kline has the program going in the right direction. They have more talent within the program now than they've had for the past decade.

This was a monumental task for Kline. Don't forget this was a forgotten program at IUP for the past 30 years. It was (and still is to an extent) treated as an enrollment booster within the athletic department.

Hopefully he sticks around for awhile. He's obviously seen by now there is a pecking order within the walls of MFH. There's Joe and Tort ... a 10-mile gap ... and then the rest of them.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They've taken major steps, but like most programs, you can't go from 2-35 two years ago to winning the PSAC.

Consider, the program had hit rock bottom in 2021 -- finishing with an abysmal 2-35 record. That may be the worst team in IUP history (any sport).

Steve Kline was then hired. His first year (last season) they amazingly went 27-22. That was an incredible turnaround. This year they sit at a disappointing 20-27.

Kline is recruiting well. His young pitchers are unfortunately, well, still young. When you rely on freshmen and sophomores in any college sport ... this is usually what you get (good some days and bad others). The good news is his young kids are getting older, and the next two years they should be very strong.

Kline has the program going in the right direction. They have more talent within the program now than they've had for the past decade.

This was a monumental task for Kline. Don't forget this was a forgotten program at IUP for the past 30 years. It was (and still is to an extent) treated as an enrollment booster within the athletic department.

Hopefully he sticks around for awhile. He's obviously seen by now there is a pecking order within the walls of MFH. There's Joe and Tort ... a 10-mile gap ... and then the rest of them.
                Absolutely! You don't build a program overnight.

I don't know what Kline wants to do at IUP but I would think there are possibilities to make it into a camp hub to give baseball a higher local profile, bring in money, and create economic activity in Indiana.

Regardless of funding and backing for the program, I think what Kline has is connections. Connections are what enabled Frank and now Joe to do what they did. With these things, you have to imagine what it could be rather than what it is or has been in the past.

Comment

They did lose a a lot of games to southern schools.

At least they have a nice field. Much better than what they had behind the Cig. It was a ratchet looking Diamond in the middle of the old foosball practice field. It was sad.
                  Last edited by IUPNation; 05-04-2023, 01:47 PM.

Comment

They did lose a a lot of games to southern schools.

At least they have a nice field. Much better than what they had behind the Cig. It was a ratchet looking Diamond in the middle of the old foosball practice field. It was sad.
                    The old field / current whatever it is ... is an interesting piece of campus property.

Way back when, believe it or not, there was at least a conceptual plan to have the (what is now) KCAC and a new football stadium essentially right beside each other (think of the football field where the Eberly parking lot now sits.

That empty chunk of land today could be used for a lot of things. In the pipe dream of a new stadium, I'd imagine the field would be flipped in direction. They could also easily build an indoor sports complex there. I said 'sports' and not 'football' ... keeping the peace.

Wishful thinking, perhaps. As of now, I just use that piece of land to hit 9-irons all summer.

Comment

…and still only 2-2 vs IUP.
                      Yeah, but we can count to 50...

Comment

Don’t kid yourself. ESU has no chance the minute they play real teams in the south. If you think PSAC baseball top to bottom is good, you know absolutely nothing about baseball. There are 2-3 decent teams annually. That’s it. That’s what “poor baseball in general means” since it needs to be defined for you.

Comment

The old field / current whatever it is ... is an interesting piece of campus property.

Way back when, believe it or not, there was at least a conceptual plan to have the (what is now) KCAC and a new football stadium essentially right beside each other (think of the football field where the Eberly parking lot now sits.

That empty chunk of land today could be used for a lot of things. In the pipe dream of a new stadium, I'd imagine the field would be flipped in direction. They could also easily build an indoor sports complex there. I said 'sports' and not 'football' ... keeping the peace.

Wishful thinking, perhaps. As of now, I just use that piece of land to hit 9-irons all summer.
                          I played there when it was a baseball field. The playing conditions on the field actually weren’t bad, but it was far from adequate for a college baseball field. The current “stadium” is obviously much better, but even it pales in comparison to a lot of DIII facilities that take baseball seriously. It’s hard to invest in everything and baseball has really drawn the short end of the stick.

Comment

Yeah, but we can count to 50...
                            Does East Dennyburg scroll ignorant messages across the scoreboard at the opposing team at baseball games too?

Congrats on making the IUP Baseball team the most talked about baseball program on this board. It now joins our foosball and basketball teams as the most talked about as well.

I think deep down you wish you attended IUP. I don't blame you. Maybe you should have studied harder in high school, you might have been accepted.

:-)
                            Last edited by IUPNation; 05-04-2023, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I would build the new state of the art foosball building behind a rebuilt Cig...so that the lockerrooms were on the home side and the visitiors could take the current lockerroon in a completely gutted and remoded George P Miller Memorial Field House. The rebuilt stadium would just be Frank Cignetti Field and the building would be attached to the home side sort of like how Boston College has an an indoor arena attached to their foosball stadium.

That's if I had Mr. Youtube's money and wanted to spend it.

Comment

I played there when it was a baseball field. The playing conditions on the field actually weren’t bad, but it was far from adequate for a college baseball field. The current “stadium” is obviously much better, but even it pales in comparison to a lot of DIII facilities that take baseball seriously. It’s hard to invest in everything and baseball has really drawn the short end of the stick.
                                It has a nice view? ::shrug::

It's about the same as West Chester's (IUP has a nicer view) and they are what I'd call the program to measure up against.

Millersville has a nice facility...it has stands behind home plate.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X