Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually find it to be a stupid process. Hosting should be automatically awarded to the higher seed unless they have a reason to decline. Money and facility concerns are valid - there is still at least one team in the playoffs that doesn't have exclusive use of their stadium. Reimburse operating costs up to a certain amount. October is too soon for some schools to realize they're going to make a playoff push at all. We're not all Grand Valley and Northwest Missouri.

I also am not sure that the Kutztown statement is 100% accurate. In uncomfortable situations, humans tend to give 80-90% of the truth. My belief is that a) Kutztown is inexperience at this and didn't put much thought into the benefit of submitting, b) the financial cost was more than the AD was comfortable finding, and c) they looked at the dates and saw that they already have a home basketball doubleheader scheduled at the same time and realized they won't have the staffing to pull off both. I really think C is the one. Not accusing KU of lying - just only offering the facts that paint the picture that sounds best.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s not quite the travesty of top ranked in the country IUP being forced in the road to Jacksonville State in the semi finals in the 1991 playoffs. That game should have been in Indiana but GSC teams always got the home games because they could bribe the NCAA.
      Aren't the Final Four teams re-seeded? I know IUP was ranked #1 in the country at the time, but the seeding is not done according to polls...

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

The whole thing is ridiculous. If you’re the higher seed you should get to host unless there are some unforeseen extenuating circumstances. Having to bid is nonsense.
        Given the NCAA can’t do seedings right, that may be asking too much of them.

The NCAA pinches pennies with the regional format because they don’t want to help with travel costs, then they apparently burned a bunch of money with the PPV system for the playoffs, and they then expect pay guarantees from potential hosts long before they are known. What if a number 1 seed doesn’t put in a bid, then what happens? I’m sure SRU would have loved to host Tiffin last week (not that it would have mattered in the result at all). With all the money the NCAA gets from the big D1 tournaments, don’t they have enough money to take care of the lower-level tournaments far more than they do?

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Aren't the Final Four teams re-seeded? I know IUP was ranked #1 in the country at the time, but the seeding is not done according to polls...
          Not in 1991. The re-seeding concept in the semi-finals is a relatively recent concept.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The "submit a financial bid in order to host" system has been around for a while. Its asinine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The "submit a financial bid in order to host" system has been around for a while. Its asinine.
              It's unimaginable Kutztown has to play on the road this weekend. If that would have happened at IUP the Oak Grove would have been chopped down.

This has to be the biggest F up in PSAC memory.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's unimaginable Kutztown has to play on the road this weekend. If that would have happened at IUP the Oak Grove would have been chopped down.

This has to be the biggest F up in PSAC memory.
                If people didn't know why, I doubt we'd characterize it as such. All they had to do was say so - as soon as the field as announced. They shouldn't HAVE to apply to host - but they should have the ability to politely decline. There are good reasons to decline: facility unavailability, staffing challenges, parking challenges (if it were at the same time as graduation), etc. Also, money. Kutztown shouldn't have to pay to host. Or apply. "Hey, we're excited to make the playoffs but if we make it to the quarterfinals, we won't host because..." sounds a lot better than what just happened.

The CBAs will prevent heads from rolling over this, but Jim Clements is spending every spare minute updating his resume from last winter's version.

Comment

If people didn't know why, I doubt we'd characterize it as such. All they had to do was say so - as soon as the field as announced. They shouldn't HAVE to apply to host - but they should have the ability to politely decline. There are good reasons to decline: facility unavailability, staffing challenges, parking challenges (if it were at the same time as graduation), etc. Also, money. Kutztown shouldn't have to pay to host. Or apply. "Hey, we're excited to make the playoffs but if we make it to the quarterfinals, we won't host because..." sounds a lot better than what just happened.

The CBAs will prevent heads from rolling over this, but Jim Clements is spending every spare minute updating his resume from last winter's version.
                  The money angle is a joke. What ... $20k? Who cares. They could come up with that from one donor if needed.

I agree this "apply to host" is trash. It should be automatic.

Basketball games, etc., is just all bull****. This is a pure embarrassment to Kutztown. The PR people there can say whatever they want. There's zero excuse.

Comment

The money angle is a joke. What ... $20k? Who cares. They could come up with that from one donor if needed.

Basketball games, etc., is just all bull****. This is a pure embarrassment to Kutztown. The PR people there can say whatever they want. There's zero excuse.
                    None of us (this forum) thought KU would make the playoffs in October. Some of us weren't even sure where to seed them until the last 2 weeks of the season. By the time it seemed like KU could be playoff team, it was November. The school focuses more of the money towards general use stuff like updating residential halls and academic buildings. We don't have donors like the Western PA schools that fork over a boatload of money for athletics.

Comment

$20k is a big deal for any of these schools.

I disagree on what else is going on. There's only so many people to work and parking spaces to be had. Some of our campuses have the football stadium next to the building where graduation takes place. Most graduations already need 20-30 staff to run. Throw another huge event into the mix and you're scrambling for staff and parking spaces - if you have one to spare.

Calling bull**** is easy on here or when its not our job. I bet every PSAC AD understands why without a specific public explanation.

Comment

There was no seeding back then…it’s who had the most money to pay up.

Comment

$20k is a big deal for any of these schools.

I disagree on what else is going on. There's only so many people to work and parking spaces to be had. Some of our campuses have the football stadium next to the building where graduation takes place. Most graduations already need 20-30 staff to run. Throw another huge event into the mix and you're scrambling for staff and parking spaces - if you have one to spare.

Calling bull**** is easy on here or when its not our job. I bet every PSAC AD understands why without a specific public explanation.
                          Right but they are calling it a misjudgement. KU's graduation is Dec. 16 (not this weekend). Not that it matters, but their basketball program draws terribly so that's not a parking issue.

Bids were due at the 'end' of October. They surely had to think they were at least in the playoff mix at that point.

Is what it is but this just seems like a lot of egg on the face.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X