X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikefln
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

How are the triads working? One piggy bank?
    I would like to know this too. That is one of the reasons why I did not list any of them as I am unsure how they are operating and didn't want to be wrong as I did not have time to look it up and dig into it too much right now.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikefln View Post

Not saying there are no differences. There are as Mercyhurst does not get the funding from the state that PASSHE institutions do. I am just pointing out that maybe this works for Hurst maybe it doesn't. But they are not in dire straits like nation is implying.
    I guess the definition of "works" isn't totally clear. I say if Hurst can divert the extra money to athletics, they should go for it. I think the question is whether their program will be competitive on that level. They weren't real competitive in the PSAC.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Saw this posted online:

Some rumblings (Rumors) thru D2 Football as of this morning:

West Florida is considering going D1 & hoping the ASUN

New Haven is considering going D1 & join the NEC - this could happen this season

Bentley is the other school rumored to join the NEC - but the NEC will only take one program - them or New Haven - depending on what school wants to make the jump

UINDY was going to join the OVC (D1) but their board never got to vote on making the jump - some feel matter of time before they are D1

Grand Valley State & VSU are rumored to be going to the OVC with UINDY both have said their plans are to go D1

West Georgia has made the jump and will be D1 this season

Lots of talks going on
    Lots of talks. Let me know when something actually happens...

Leave a comment:

• Mikefln
    replied

Minor point of contention - Slippery Rock's endowment is $46.5 million. Source: https://www.sru.edu/news/092022a
    Thank you. As I stated, that was the only one they did not cite the source for, or provide any information on where and when that information came from. All the other schools had citations to reputable sources and 2019 was the oldest outside of Mercyhurst at 2013.

With this new information that makes:

$46.5 million endowment; 6,815 undergrads; $6,823 per undergrad

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Minor point of contention - Slippery Rock's endowment is $46.5 million. Source: https://www.sru.edu/news/092022a
    How are the triads working? One piggy bank?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

According to 2024 US News for rankings and Wikipedia for endowment and enrollment (they cite the source for that information):

Duquesne: 151 in National University’s; $472.1 million endowment; 6,074 undergrads; $77,708 per undergrad
    Gannon: 260 in National University’s; $83.5 million endowment; 3,165 undergrads; $26,382 per undergrad
    Mercyhurst: 54 Regional University’s North; $31.8 million endowment; 2,759 undergrads; $11,526 per undergrad* this is the oldest data set as it is from 2013. All others were from 2019 or more recent.
    St. Vincent: 124 in National Liberal Art's College's; $113 million endowment; 1,375 undergrads; $82,182 per undergrad
    St Francis: 30 Regional University’s North; $52 million endowment; 1,691 undergrads; $30,751 per undergrad

Slippery Rock: 50 Regional University’s North; $16.5 million endowment; 6,815 undergrads; $2,421 per undergrad ** They did not list the source so not sure how accurate or how up to date this info is.
    IUP: 320 in National University's; $60.6 million endowment; 9,308 undergrads; $6,510 per undergrad
    Millersville: 116 Regional University’s North; $43.9 million endowment; 6,500 undergrads; $6,754 per undergrad
    Shippensburg: 104 Regional University’s North; $36.9 million endowment; 6,942 undergrads; $5,315 per undergrad
    West Chester: 209 in National University's; $47.2 million endowment; 14,712 undergrads; $3,208 per undergrad

Looking at this data, while I admit Mercyhurst data (from 11 years ago, have to assume it is better now) does not paint a rosy picture, I would be more worried about IUP and it fellow PHSSE schools as their data is worse.

Leave a comment:

• Mikefln
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Thanks for that. Of course, there are a lot of angles involved and you've cited at least one of them here. Make no mistake, IUP'ers are concerned, if not worried. IUP and the PASSHE situation is quite a bit different than Mercyhurst's in many ways, though.
    Not saying there are no differences. There are as Mercyhurst does not get the funding from the state that PASSHE institutions do. I am just pointing out that maybe this move to D1 works for Hurst maybe it doesn't. But they are not in dire straits like nation is implying.
    Last edited by Mikefln; 04-10-2024, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

According to 2024 US News for rankings and Wikipedia for endowment and enrollment (they cite the source for that information):

Duquesne: 151 in National University’s; $472.1 million endowment; 6,074 undergrads; $77,708 per undergrad
    Gannon: 260 in National University’s; $83.5 million endowment; 3,165 undergrads; $26,382 per undergrad
    Mercyhurst: 54 Regional University’s North; $31.8 million endowment; 2,759 undergrads; $11,526 per undergrad* this is the oldest data set as it is from 2013. All others were from 2019 or more recent.
    St. Vincent: 124 in National Liberal Art's College's; $113 million endowment; 1,375 undergrads; $82,182 per undergrad
    St Francis: 30 Regional University’s North; $52 million endowment; 1,691 undergrads; $30,751 per undergrad

Slippery Rock: 50 Regional University’s North; $16.5 million endowment; 6,815 undergrads; $2,421 per undergrad ** They did not list the source so not sure how accurate or how up to date this info is.
    IUP: 320 in National University's; $60.6 million endowment; 9,308 undergrads; $6,510 per undergrad
    Millersville: 116 Regional University’s North; $43.9 million endowment; 6,500 undergrads; $6,754 per undergrad
    Shippensburg: 104 Regional University’s North; $36.9 million endowment; 6,942 undergrads; $5,315 per undergrad
    West Chester: 209 in National University's; $47.2 million endowment; 14,712 undergrads; $3,208 per undergrad

Looking at this data, while I admit Mercyhurst data (from 11 years ago, have to assume it is better now) does not paint a rosy picture, I would be more worried about IUP and it fellow PHSSE schools as their data is worse.
    Thanks for that. Of course, there are a lot of angles involved and you've cited at least one of them here. Make no mistake, IUP'ers are concerned, if not worried. IUP and the PASSHE situation is quite a bit different than Mercyhurst's in many ways, though.

Leave a comment:

• Mikefln
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s only a matter of time before The Lake Show winds up like Fake Notre Dame and Cabrini. At least the Cabrini campus was valuable real estate It will be Villanova’s Law School.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied

A commissioner didn't know a school in his conference was leaving.

That makes him a bigger tool than you, which says a lot.
    You have no proof of that. Who's the tool?

Leave a comment:

• Finchwidget
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Unlike Pennsylvania, Michigan doesn't have a "unified" state system of higher education in that each state-owned university (UM, MSU, Grand Valley, Ferris, the "directional Michigan" schools, etc.) are independent of each other. What Grand Valley does or doesn't do has nothing to do with any decisions at Ferris, Lake Superior, Saginaw Valley, Wayne State, Michigan Tech, etc.
    A bit tangential, but the University of Michigan is actually a system-- in addition to the main campus in Ann Arbor, there's also UM-Dearborn, who competes in the NAIA, and UM-Flint, which doesn't have athletics. Other than that though, spot on.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

West Florida moviing up was a guarentee when they bought their first jock strap in 2015. Location, abundance of local talent and large enrollment. I would think GV is tied into the Michigan state school system like most PSAC schools which hinders their movement up. Both would be immediate top 15 FCS programs for sure. GV would git nicely into the LeaguecYSU is in.
    Unlike Pennsylvania, Michigan doesn't have a "unified" state system of higher education in that each state-owned university (UM, MSU, Grand Valley, Ferris, the "directional Michigan" schools, etc.) are independent of each other. What Grand Valley does or doesn't do has nothing to do with any decisions at Ferris, Lake Superior, Saginaw Valley, Wayne State, Michigan Tech, etc.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

You might be onto something. Gannon and Mercyhurst have a very similar profile. Gannon's athletic tradition is more known but Mercyhurst is seen as the stuffier of the two. Think of Gannon as the Duquesne of Erie, distilled for scale, and Mercyhurst is maybe St. Vincent, just a couple miles away though.

But think about that. Two middling private Catholic schools in the same struggling city with lots of shared characteristics. Gannon has their "downtown" presence and their thriving health campus in Florida. What does Mercyhurst have? Well, now they have D1 sports. The only D1 school between St. Bonaventure and Cleveland State - and that says all you need to know. Some schools are very good at taking advantage of Joe Public having NO CLUE what makes a school D1 vs D2 vs D3. Most think it’s are about being "good" enough or size. Schools like Robert Morris are able to sell that as a hallmark of their experience. I assume Mercyhurst will do the same. Even though nobody cares any more about Stonehill than they did for Shippesnburg.
    It’s only a matter of time before The Lake Show winds up like Fake Notre Dame and Cabrini. At least the Cabrini campus was valuable real estate It will be Villanova’s Law School.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

It's a way for Mercyhurst to look down at Gannon.

That's my theory.

Athletically, they will be a forgotten memory.
    Well IUP looks down at both of them so there’s that.

:-)

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Always overlooked in the recuring PSAC replacement team derby is Lincoln University PA. I mean, they are in-state, they have both football and basketball and if mileage is the key factor many seem to think it is, then adding Lincoln to the East and moving one of the east's most western schools to the west seems pretty logical. I'd think Millersville, WCU and Kutztown would be salivating at the prospect of having an in-state conference opponent 40, 30 and 60 (respectively) miles away. Also a milage win for Lincoln PA as they are the northern outlier in the largely Virginia based CIAA. I mean, if mileage is truly the dominant factor for schools, seems like a no brainer for all involved.

So why no interest in Lincoln? Is there something else?
    North Carolina

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X