X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Who knew? You actually do better in these things if some of your programs other than football or basketball are competitive. As far as the flagship programs go, I don't imagine Ship's worst men's and women's basketball seasons in many years combined with a bad football season was much help. Shepherd, as one of their fans pointed out above, is currently an example of what happens in sports program evaluations when you're good at football and not much else.
    The Dixon Trophy is still bogus.

Slimey Pebble wins it but is way down the list on the Directors Cup.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It was a pretty strong year at IUP -- oddly aside from the two flagship programs. Keep in mind Tort and Joe were both still above .500 in their 'disaster' seasons. It did feel like both were winless at times. But, if your 'train-wreck' season is still above .500 ... things can always be worse.
    Who knew? You actually do better in these things if some of your programs other than football or basketball are competitive. As far as the flagship programs go, I don't imagine Ship's worst men's and women's basketball seasons in many years combined with a bad football season was much help. Shepherd, as one of their fans pointed out above, is currently an example of what happens in sports program evaluations when you're good at football and not much else.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

What you meant to say the Dixon Trophy is a bunch of crap and this is more indicative of a strong athletic program.

IUP did better than most despite our top two programs being floaters in the toilet by our standards this year.

It was a pretty strong year at IUP -- oddly aside from the two flagship programs. Keep in mind Tort and Joe were both still above .500 in their 'disaster' seasons. It did feel like both were winless at times. But, if your 'train-wreck' season is still above .500 ... things can always be worse.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    Obviously the Director's Cup isn't the be-all end-all when it comes to the strength of an athletic program but it can be a decent enough measuring stick. Mercyhurst ended up fine, but not really with a point total that screams "D1-caliber" (especially since 90 of those points came in... women's rowing?). Meanwhile, Grand Valley State sits at the top with 983 points, and that's with several sports being removed due to scoring in more than the maximum of 15 sports.
    19. Gannon 537.50 points
    36. Kutztown 408.50 points
    T-39. West Chester 393.00 points
    T-39. IUP 393.00 points
    62. East Stroudsburg 298.50 points
    65. Mercyhurst 284.50 points
    79. Millersville 244.50 points
    89. Shippensburg 221.50 points
    99. Slippery Rock 209.50 points
    107. Clarion 191.50 points
    127. California 157.00 points
    128. Seton Hill 153.50 points
    147. Pittsburgh-Johnstown 121.50 points
    161. Bloomsburg 102.00 points
    162. Edinboro 101.50 points
    169. Lock Haven 96.50 points
    T-238. Shepherd 25.00 points
    What you meant to say the Dixon Trophy is a bunch of crap and this is more indicative of a strong athletic program.

IUP did better than most despite our top two programs being floaters in the toilet by our standards this year.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Obviously the Director's Cup isn't the be-all end-all when it comes to the strength of an athletic program but it can be a decent enough measuring stick. Mercyhurst ended up fine, but not really with a point total that screams "D1-caliber" (especially since 90 of those points came in... women's rowing?). Meanwhile, Grand Valley State sits at the top with 983 points, and that's with several sports being removed due to scoring in more than the maximum of 15 sports.

19. Gannon 537.50 points
    T-39. IUP 393.00 points
    Although it suits my selfish interests... Shepherd's athletic program is really bad right now beyond football. Football gets most of the attention, rightfully so as well and they shouldn't take anything from it.

Basketball:
    Mens team has been the same .500 or so 20 years. Definition of mediocre.
    Womens team is 7-47 over the last 2 seasons. Horrendous.

Soccer:
    Men's team has been bad for as long as I can remember. Think they've won 9 games since 2017, its pathetic.
    Womens team has gone from being awful, to average. Which regarding the overall sports success at the school, is a good thing.

Baseball has gone from conference contender in the MEC, to an average program around .500 in the PSAC.

Softball has been a mirror image of the baseball team, contender in the MEC to another average program in the PSAC.

Women's Lacrosse has been a cellar dweller for about 6 years or so now.

Volleyball was our golden egg on the women's side for the most part of the last decade.

Golf is a train wreck, Tennis and CC are just enrollment boosters rarely winning anything.

I don't know really how to feel about it all. I guess just be happy that the football team has done well and continues to get pretty decent support.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Grand Valley is possibly the best athletic program in the country at any division. Yes, they're larger and adjacent to a thriving small city. But they're larger because athletics has increased their profile so much. And they're very good at most programs and able to find the resources to sustain it.

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied

19. Gannon 537.50 points
    T-39. IUP 393.00 points

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

When I UP left, did they play independent or were they in a conference?
    They were Independent.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Definitely PASSHE created solidarity. But IUP was Independent from 1966-1973. When the NCAA formed 3 different Divisions in 1973, IUP opted back to the PSAC and D2.
    When I UP left, did they play independent or were they in a conference?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I do think that the creation of PASSHE likely had a role. A show of solidarity to all be in both the same system and same conference. I imagine they also recognized that they didn't have the fundraising capacity. Until our schools were terrible at fundraising until the last 25-30 years (they're still not great). But also until the 90s, most of our alumni were teachers making decent middle class salaries. Not exactly major gift prospects or able to create a pay-for-prestige program like most D1 schools have.
    Definitely PASSHE created solidarity. But IUP was Independent from 1966-1973. When the NCAA formed 3 different Divisions in 1973, IUP opted back to the PSAC and D2.

Leave a comment:

• Finchwidget
    replied
    Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Would still love to hear if anyone was able to find a game to replace Mercy? Good opp for the PSAC to pick up a non-traditional opponet.
    At this point the only non-conference openings left in D2 are either multiple states away or are in the NE-10, whose teams seem to prefer playing 10 game schedules anyway. Clarion, Millersville, Bloom, and Edinboro were wise to pick each other up, but there's no more East teams left for the other West teams to crossover with, so I think you might see other teams just keep the bye week on their schedule

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I think IUP was the first to leave in the 60’s.

Then we came back and then Walk In U left in the 70’s until they came back in the early 80’s …both had fleeting aspirations on moving on up…but I think the creation of the state system locked them into the Pee Sack for good.

It’s not like Cheyney left..they ceased athletics. IUP and WCU actually left.
    I do think that the creation of PASSHE likely had a role. A show of solidarity to all be in both the same system and same conference. I imagine they also recognized that they didn't have the fundraising capacity. Until our schools were terrible at fundraising until the last 25-30 years (they're still not great). But also until the 90s, most of our alumni were teachers making decent middle class salaries. Not exactly major gift prospects or able to create a pay-for-prestige program like most D1 schools have.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I think their decision to leave the PSAC was the right one. They probably should have made it long before they did. My issue was with the PSAC Commissioner saying that Mercyhurst was the first PSAC school to leave the conference. Clearly that was a CYA move to cover for their lack of preparation. While this board is not the font of all knowledge, the Mercyhurst is going to leave rumor has been bandied about for a couple of years. It's hard to believe the home office had ZERO knowledge until the Mercyhurst press release.
    I think IUP was the first to leave in the 60’s.

Then we came back and then Walk In U left in the 70’s until they came back in the early 80’s …both had fleeting aspirations on moving on up…but I think the creation of the state system locked them into the Pee Sack for good.

It’s not like Cheyney left..they ceased athletics. IUP and WCU actually left.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    I cannot think of another NCAA program that changed conferences with that short of a turnaround.
    I would agree that it used to almost never happen. However, it seems like it is becoming more commonplace recently. Stephen F. Austin did it yesterday (with even shorter notice).

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Edinboro dropped their schedule this morning. Looks like they swapped their ESU game to the Thursday of Week 0 and added Bloomsburg in Week 3 (where ESU had been). Still open Week 5 where Mercyhurst was, but that gives them an open week before playing IUP for Homecoming. 6 home games

Thurs August 29 - East Stroudsburg
    Sat September 7 - at Robert Morris
    Sat September 14 - at Kutztown
    Sat September 21 - vs Bloomsburg
    Sat September 28 - at Slippery Rock
    Sat October 5 - OPEN
    Sat October 12 - IUP
    Sat October 19 - at Clarion
    Sat October 26 - vs Gannon
    Sat November 2 - vs Seton Hill
    Sat November 9 - at Cal
    Sat November 16 - at Millersville

Looks like they're sticking with the 12pm kickoffs. My son is playing pee wee football this fall so that likely means I'll only see 3 Edinboro games this year - the night games at RMU & Slippery Rock and the IUP game when he'll miss his game for Boro Homecoming. 12pm kickoffs eliminate your fans with kids playing sports.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X