Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

JCSU doesn't travel, and barely show up for their home football games. Now, basketball is a different story. They pack that little gym out.

LT93bunny is right, based off of the eligible CIAA teams VSU would have likely brought the best crowd.

I am hopeful this game does well, but it just seems like they have a lot of factors working against its success.
    VSU seemed like a lock for this game after the loss to Union, but wasn't chosen because the rules state that the teams chosen to participate had to "have six regular season wins and be in good academic standing". Apparently no one knew what defined "good academic standing." But, according to a reliable source, the teams that were chosen had the highest GPA's among the teams that were eligible in each conference. So, there you have it!

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post

VSU seemed like a lock for this game after the loss to Union, but wasn't chosen because the rules state that the teams chosen to participate had to "have six regular season wins and be in good academic standing". Apparently no one knew what defined "good academic standing." But, according to a reliable source, the teams that were chosen had the highest GPA's among the teams that were eligible in each conference. So, there you have it!
      I kinda like that. Southern Nazarene is reportedly going to the Heritage Bowl in Corsicana after their first winning season in DII.

The playoffs are there to reward the best teams, let the bowl games reward programs for improving and for excelling at academics.
      Passing is a Sin

Comment

Again, it seems as though having the highest ranking available team from the Sun Conference, (which in this case this year would be Florida Memorial University) as the host school for the Florida Beach Bowl would help promote and fill the seats of the DRV PNK Stadium and added to the overall atmosphere of excitement.

The Sun Conference is accustomed to playing D2 schools as their highest ranked team (Keiser University) faced both Mississippi College and Valdosta State of the GSC this year.

Comment

Well today is the day. From what I can tell they have really treated this like a legit bowl game, as there appears to have been various activities over the past few days for the local community. Will be interesting to see how well attendance does. They also will be streaming the game at the below link (7:30 pm)

https://watch.hbcu-plus.com/home

Comment

FSU is up 7-0 in the 1st.

It looks windy and it's raining, so the crowd is very sparse. I will say the live stream feed quality is really good though.

For what it's worth it looks like the organizers really took this bowl game seriously. Hopefully they can build some steam and make this a good event in the future. I think they will have to schedule this on a weekend though.

Comment

FVSU ends up winning 23-10. Not the best game for JCSU as there offense looked bad going 11-32-1 on pass plays. From when I watched there were just a lot of bad throws. Not sure why they stuck to the pass so much in a windy and raining game.

I think FSU or VSU would have had a better showing.

Comment

Checked out the game towards the end and was disappointed in not only the lack of attendance but also the lack of post game sportsmanship by some of the FVSU players.

Under the present format and results, I really have my doubts of this becoming an annual event.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                  Checked out the game towards the end and was disappointed in not only the lack of attendance but also the lack of post game sportsmanship by some of the FVSU players.

Under the present format and results, I really have my doubts of this becoming an annual event.
                  I'm hopeful for this game, but I agree with you about doubting its future. I didn't expect the attendance to be good, but the weather made it worse.

First, they have to move this game to a weekend. Second, while the location is great, they have to realize that if they want a decently attended CIAA v. SIAC bowl game it needs to be played in NC, SC, or GA.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

I'm hopeful for this game, but I agree with you about doubting its future. I didn't expect the attendance to be good, but the weather made it worse.

First, they have to move this game to a weekend. Second, while the location is great, they have to realize that if they want a decently attended CIAA v. SIAC bowl game it needs to be played in NC, SC, or GA.
                    I agree. I believe that if they had selected Florida Memorial University as the host team, it would have positively impacted the attendance. Hopefully things such as evaluating potential more local options will help in the future.

Pair the best available CIAA team against the Sun Conference's best available team.
                    Last edited by Eagle74; 12-16-2023, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X