Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post

That’s the case now due to the loss to Elizabeth City, but it wasn’t when we were 7-0 because YOU published a poll ranking VSU as high as number 3 in the Region! If our SOS was that low back then, that could not have been the case OR your reasoning was extremely flawed.
    After week 5: Winning percentage 1.000, SOS .460, sum 1.460 (2nd in region)
    After week 6: Winning percentage 1.000, SOS .407, sum 1.407 (4th in region)
    After week 7: Winning percentage .857, SOS .375, sum 1.232 (14th in region)

While winning percentage + SOS isn't an official criterion, it seems to be a good proxy for how committees view the teams (although low SOS can sometimes drag a team down more than it would predict). Performance Indicator, which is an official criterion, tells a similar story. And it's easier to overcome a low SOS when you're undefeated (see Davenport in SR3).

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post

Agree! Fayetteville will meet either Virginia State or Virginia Union (again) in the CIAA Championship and the winner (either V State or Union) will advance to the playoffs and will likely be the only representative from the CIAA this year.

But, the reasoning behind the Regional rankings make no sense, especially since it appears to be based solely on SOS which gives a team extra credit for playing and losing to teams on their same level, but doesn't give a team credit for playing and beating a Division 1 FCS school which has almost 30 more scholarship athletes. In addition, if you look at the stats, with the exception of last week, VSU's offense averaged 30+ points while Fayetteville hasn't scored 30 points all season! The same is true for Union. But, in the end, the champion will be decided on the field and I can guarantee you the defending champions won't repeat.
      I hate when it comes down to the final game of the year!

We need to stop scheduling D1 games. I know they bring money but they hurt, win or lose. I'm still upset by the ECSU loss.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X