Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Football Schedules Thread

I have started to see CIAA schools show up on schedules:

WSSU at NC A&T (FCS - CAA) September 7th. This is a renewal of a rivalry, and with as bad as A&T was last season this one could be competitive.
    FSU at Alabama A&M (FCS - SWAC) September 14th. Seems like a weird game on paper especially with the over 550 mile road trip, but Maynor has ties to FSU so it kind of makes since.
    VUU at Hampton (FCS - CAA) September 7th. This is a throwback CIAA matchup, and the schools have played a few times over the last few seasons. VUU won in 2019 and played Hampton tough in 2021 being tied up until the 4th quarter. This is a game VUU could legitimately win.

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
    I have started to see CIAA schools show up on schedules:

WSSU at NC A&T (FCS - CAA) September 7th. This is a renewal of a rivalry, and with as bad as A&T was last season this one could be competitive.
    FSU at Alabama A&M (FCS - SWAC) September 14th. Seems like a weird game on paper especially with the over 550 mile road trip, but Maynor has ties to FSU so it kind of makes since.
    VUU at Hampton (FCS - CAA) September 7th. This is a throwback CIAA matchup, and the schools have played a few times over the last few seasons. VUU won in 2019 and played Hampton tough in 2021 being tied up until the 4th quarter. This is a game VUU could legitimately win.
    I do agree that the WSSU/A&T game should be competitive, looking at what A&T did last season and the fact that a week prior to playing WSSU, they will get tomato canned up by Wake.

Comment

Lincoln is playing at Clarion (PSAC) on Sep. 5th.

Shaw is playing at Albany State (SIAC) on Sep. 5th.
      Last edited by LegalRam; 02-05-2024, 10:05 AM.

Comment

VA State @ Norfolk State (FCS - MEAC) on Sep. 7th.

Comment

Shaw is also hosting Catawba week 2.

St. Augustine's doesnt have anyone for the first two weeks just yet.

Comment

WSSU's schedule is out and we could legitimately start the season 0-5 if we don't get things figured out this offseason.

8/31 at Blue State
            9/7 at NC A&T (FCS - CAA)
            9/14 vs. Ohio Dominican (GMAC)
            9/21 at VA State
            9/28 vs. Bowie State
            10/5 at VUU
            10/12 vs. Shaw
            10/19 at Livingstone
            10/26 vs. JCSU
            11/2 BYE
            11/9 vs. FSU
            Last edited by LegalRam; 05-02-2024, 09:08 AM.

Comment

WSSU's schedule is out and we could legitimately start the season 0-5 if we don't get things figured out this offseason.

9/21 at VA State
              9/28 vs. Bowie State
              10/5 at VUU
              10/12 vs. Shaw
              10/19 at Livingstone
              10/26 vs. JCSU
              11/2 at St Augs
              11/9 vs. FSU
              WOW that is a rough schedule. I know Massey didn’t create that schedule. Somebody setting him up to get fired.

Comment

VA State @ Norfolk State (FCS - MEAC) on Sep. 7th.
                Is this that Week 0 nonsense? That is only to generate money and fan excitement?

If not, I wish they wouldn't waste their time playing D-1 schools. It doesn't count at the end of the year! We could blow NSU out by 50, so what.

Comment

9/21 at VA State
                  9/28 vs. Bowie State
                  10/5 at VUU
                  10/12 vs. Shaw
                  10/19 at Livingstone
                  10/26 vs. JCSU
                  11/2 at St Augs
                  11/9 vs. FSU
                  Go hard or go home. At least you will know where your team stands. Kudos to the schedule making.

You only get 2 OOC games. I say make them count.

Comment

Originally posted by LT93bunny View Post

WOW that is a rough schedule. I know Massey didn’t create that schedule. Somebody setting him up to get fired.
                    That's wishful thinking......

Comment

JCSU's schedule has come out and it looks like they are taking advantage of the new Week 0 option.

9/1 vs. Tuskegee (SIAC) (Boeing Red Tails Classic - Montgomery, AL)
                      9/7 at Morehouse (SIAC)
                      9/21 vs. VUU
                      9/28 at Blue State
                      10/5 vs. VA State
                      10/12 at St Augs
                      10/19 vs. Shaw
                      10/26 at WSSU
                      11/2 vs. FSU
                      11/9 at Livingstone

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

Is this that Week 0 nonsense? That is only to generate money and fan excitement?

If not, I wish they wouldn't waste their time playing D-1 schools. It doesn't count at the end of the year! We could blow NSU out by 50, so what.
                        Sep. 7th is actually considered D2's week 1. Week 0 games will be the last weekend in August. Those games count, it just now gives D2 schools 12 weeks to schedule up to 11 games instead of what was previously only 11 weeks to schedule up to 11 games.

Comment

Sep. 7th is actually considered D2's week 1. Week 0 games will be the last weekend in August. Those games count, it just now gives D2 schools 12 weeks to schedule up to 11 games instead of what was previously only 11 weeks to schedule up to 11 games.
                          Thanks for the clarification.

I know these D1 games generate money, I get it. But as a fan, I don't like them. If your team is on that edge of getting an invite to the NCAA tourney (which seems like every year for the CIAA), that D1 game means nothing. Because the CIAA is considered weak, you nearly have to go undefeated just to get a look from the committee. I much rather play a high-caliber D2 team.

Comment

JCSU's schedule has come out and it looks like they are taking advantage of the new Week 0 option.

9/1 vs. Tuskegee (SIAC) (Boeing Red Tails Classic - Montgomery, AL)
                            9/7 at Morehouse (SIAC)
                            9/21 vs. VUU
                            9/28 at Blue State
                            10/5 vs. VA State
                            10/12 at St Augs
                            10/19 vs. Shaw
                            10/26 at WSSU
                            11/2 vs. FSU
                            11/9 at Livingstone
                            Now that's what I'm talking about! We seem to always be competing for that last spot with the SIAC.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

Thanks for the clarification.

I know these D1 games generate money, I get it. But as a fan, I don't like them. If your team is on that edge of getting an invite to the NCAA tourney (which seems like every year for the CIAA), that D1 game means nothing. Because the CIAA is considered weak, you nearly have to go undefeated just to get a look from the committee. I much rather play a high-caliber D2 team.
                              I agree with you. I'm probably in the minority for WSSU fans, but that series with Central needed to be stopped. In 2021 it was competitive, but 22 and 23 was ugly. I'm fine with every few seasons playing our FCS rivals (Central and A&T) but we have to accept that we are D2 and if our goal is to get back to being relevant we have to schedule and beat quality OOC D2 teams.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X