Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

Now that's what I'm talking about! We seem to always be competing for that last spot with the SIAC.
    Yeah, it looks like we might be trending towards having some decent OOC matchups with the SIAC this year.

What's really crazy is that I would now consider JCSU to be the favorite in these games.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post

St. Augustine's doesnt have anyone for the first two weeks just yet.
      I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not real confident that this season will be played out. Will there be money available to pay officials, off-duty officers for security, travel, etc? If not, a lot of teams will have to make adjustments on their schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not real confident that this season will be played out. Will there be money available to pay officials, off-duty officers for security, travel, etc? If not, a lot of teams will have to make adjustments on their schedules.
        Yeah, it’s a sad situation there. Saw a news report where trash is piling up on campus because the school can’t pay the maintenance workers. With the way things are headed there’s real questions on how much longer they can financially support their sports teams for the rest of this school year.

Comment

We could see more and more of this happening, unless some trends change pretty quickly.

"Over the last 10 years, nationwide HBCU enrollment has dropped by 16%.

However, looking at individual schools, it becomes clearer that some universities are losing students at a much higher rate in the past decade. Six of the state’s 10 historically Black colleges and universities have seen greater decreases than the national average in that same period.

For example, another Raleigh-based school, Shaw University, has had its student population halved – enrollment dropping from about 2,200 students to a little more than 1,000."

Comment

We could see more and more of this happening, unless some trends change pretty quickly.

"Over the last 10 years, nationwide HBCU enrollment has dropped by 16%.

However, looking at individual schools, it becomes clearer that some universities are losing students at a much higher rate in the past decade. Six of the state’s 10 historically Black colleges and universities have seen greater decreases than the national average in that same period.

For example, another Raleigh-based school, Shaw University, has had its student population halved – enrollment dropping from about 2,200 students to a little more than 1,000."
            Yeah, and it's not just an HBCU issue.

"Nationwide, higher ed in its entirety is experiencing a decline - down 13% in that time. All North Carolina colleges and universities have seen an 11% decrease."

Comment

Fayetteville State University has been bucking that trend and is doing well. They have also been diversifying their enrollment more and more in recent years.

Comment

Yeah, this is sad. Alumni step up. I would hate to see another HBCU fold.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

Yeah, this is sad. Alumni step up. I would hate to see another HBCU fold.
                  They have been asking for the Alumni to step up for years without much suçcess. It sounds as though mismanagement has plagued this particular institution for a long time and has finally caught up with it.

In my opinion, at present, I no longer believe that this school benefits or gives credence to the HBCU pedigree, and has become a drain on potential HBCU allocated funding. I wish things were different, but the outcome doesn't look promising.. I hope for the best for the students and their teachers.

Comment

A couple things:

The situation at St. Aug is truly unfortunate and is obviously the result of mismanagement and poor oversight. But, by and large, HBCU enrollment is on the rebound at the larger schools. Virginia State and SC State are prime examples. After years of enrollment drops or stagnant student populations, there have been significant increases in new students and retention, particularly at Virginia State. The biggest problem at VSU in terms of the growing population is lack of housing, especially since all freshmen are required to live on campus.

Also, look for an announcement soon that Virginia State and Benedict will meet in the Black College Hall of Fame Classic on September 1 in Canton, Ohio. The following weekend, the Trojans will play Norfolk State then have a bye week before beginning the CIAA schedule when Winston-Salem State comes to Petersburg. I know that some don’t like the Norfolk State game, but I do. Preserving the rivalry and the history entrenched in that game is important. (Same is true with WSSU and Central and A&T). Far too often, we throw history to the wind and then regret it. Look at what’s happened at Tennessee State. Their home games against OVC opponents are empty. But, last year they played Norfolk State for homecoming and had the largest homecoming crowd in years and the alumni want more. Consequently, Eddie George and the AD are responding, accordingly. On the other side, it simply means that you have to run the table to make the playoffs, and while I can’t speak for WSSU, Dr. Frazier at is all about building championship caliber teams and seems to be up to the task.

Comment

Bowie State 2024 schedule

https://bsubulldogs.com/news/2024/2/...-schedule.aspx

https://bsubulldogs.com/sports/football/schedule
                      • 9/7: at Lenoir-Rhyne
                      • 9/14: Davenport
                      • 9/21: Livingstone
                      • 9/28: at Winston-Salem State
                      • 10/5: at Fayetteville State
                      • 10/12: at Virginia State
                      • 10/19: Bluefield State (Homecoming)
                      • 10/26: Virginia Union
                      • 11/2: at Elizabeth City State
                      • 11/9: Lincoln

Comment

I know scheduling is probably the most difficult thing to do. But someone needs to tell the CIAA that scheduling matters. I'm looking at some of these schedules and thinking this any team in the conference could go undefeated and we could still not play in the post season.

Isn't that the goal?

Comment

2024 VSU TROJANS FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

9/1 @Black College Football Hall of Fame Classic
                          vs. Benedict College Canton, Ohio., 4PM
                          9/7. @Norfolk State Univ., TBD
                          9/14. BYE WEEK
                          9/21. vs. Winston-Salem State Univ., 2PM
                          9/28. vs. Fayetteville State Univ., 2PM

10/5. @Johnson C Smith Univ., 1PM
                          10/12 Homecoming
                          vs. Bowie State Univ.,
                          2PM
                          10/19. @Elizabeth City State Univ., 1PM
                          10/26. @Bluefield State Univ., 1PM
                          11/2. @Lincoln Univ. (PA)., TBD
                          11/9. Lawrence Douglas Wilder Classic
                          vs. Virginia Union Univ., 2PM
                          Last edited by VSUTrojans; 03-08-2024, 09:03 AM.

Comment

VUU's 2024 Schedule

https://vuusports.com/news/2024/2/29...-released.aspx

8/31 at Kentucky State (SIAC)
                            9/7 at Hampton (FCS-CAA)
                            9/14 BYE
                            9/21 at JCSU
                            9/28 vs. Shaw
                            10/5 vs. WSSU
                            10/12 vs. ECSU
                            10/19 at Lincoln
                            10/26 at Bowie
                            11/2 vs. Blue State
                            11/9 at VSU

Comment

Lincoln's schedule came out yesterday and now I'm confused (has St Augs on the schedule and an OOC game halfway through the season).

https://lulions.com/news/2024/3/25/-...-schedule.aspx

9/5 at Clarion (PSAC)
                              9/14 at St Augs
                              9/21 at Shaw
                              9/28 vs. Livingstone
                              10/5 at Morgan State (FCS-MEAC)
                              10/12 vs. Blue State
                              10/19 vs. VUU
                              10/26 at ECSU
                              11/2 vs. VSU
                              11/9 at Bowie

Comment

Blue State's schedule isn't out yet, but it looks like for OOC they will be playing at Concord on 9/7 and at Emory and Henry on 9/14. Smart move to schedule close OOC matchups.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X