Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not quite ready to accept that VSU is a super team...

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

Don't know who will and who won't, but I thought he should have won it last year (and felt like that opinion was kinda validated in the NC game when he accounted for 6 TD's (I think Campbell accounted for 2)).

Interestingly, Wells completed 57.42% of his passes last year. Year prior he split time with Robles and completed 55.76.

This year he's completed 78.13% (which I imagine will settle a little as we get deeper into our season).

Neatest thing about Wells is that he's a great guy as well. Very humble.

It's a little counter to what folks might think, but VSU only threw the ball 45% last year and has dropped down to 43% under this Air Raid disciple named Goff. Go figure.
    Speaking of this offense I hate it. I thought we was going to be running a tempo no huddle offense. Miss having 30 plus points at halftime on a weekly basis and think we capable of losing this year especially if our defense have a bad game. Dam why couldn't Bell stayed another year

Comment

Through five games:

2018: VSU averaged 54.6 points per game. The average margin of victory was 37.4 points per game.

2019: VSU is averaging 43.2 points per game. The average margin of victory is 28.2 points per game.

I haven't done a game by game comparison of the defensive numbers. The schedule is tougher this year as FVSU was replaced with Ohio Dominican, and Albany State is better than in 2018.

The offenses aren't an apples to apples comparison though. Bell and company were still throwing deep and running up tempo with games well in hand trying to put up at least 50 per game. Goff is slowing the tempo down and controlling the clock once in a big lead. It isn't as flashy, but it actually puts the games away cleaner. VSU almost let a couple of games get away late, including the championship game, that could have been put away.
      Last edited by Rational Observer; 10-05-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Comment

I'm not impressed as well especially with the same team Hell we got too much speed to not stretch the field. We got to put Ivory on the field more too darn good to be standing on the sideline and the offense hardly punts the ball when he's under center

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post
            Through five games:

2018: VSU averaged 54.6 points per game. The average margin of victory was 37.4 points per game.

2019: VSU is averaging 43.2 points per game. The average margin of victory is 28.2 points per game.

I haven't done a game by game comparison of the defensive numbers. The schedule is tougher this year as FVSU was replaced with Ohio Dominican, and Albany State is better than in 2018.

The offenses aren't an apples to apples comparison though. Bell and company were still throwing deep and running up tempo with games well in hand trying to put up at least 50 per game. Goff is slowing the tempo down and controlling the clock once in a big lead. It isn't as flashy, but it actually puts the games away cleaner. VSU almost let a couple of games get away from late, including the championship game, that could have been put away.
            Agreed.
            Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

We seem more committed to the run and I notice that guys aren't being schemed open like last year.

A Bell team may have been more dominant but, we can win with Goff, he seems more of a details oriented coach so things like reducing penalties and turnovers, and playing more guys will assure continued success.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollodex View Post
                In this offense Wells won't win the Harlon Hill his numbers are tremendously off from last year. We was a quick attacking offense last year and this year we just nickel & dime down the field and run the clock
                I don't know....I kinda like being 5-0. As for Wells and I think most all the players is I think they could care less about numbers, just as long as the TEAM wins. That kind of unselfish attitude is what makes a team great, and what makes the players on the team a brotherhood.

The 2018 team followed their own path to the NC. Some games were really tough, if you will recall last year. The 2019 team is following their path through the season. They have a different personality. They are defining their own way. In years to come, the 2019 team will be recognized for the things they accomplished.

Go Blazers!

#BlazerNation

Comment

What you saw last year was year three in a system. You have players in their first year in a new system with a new staff, and they are still winning by 28 points per game.

The defenses are playing hard against the deep ball and leaving the underneath stuff open. The Shorter DBs were running backward at the snap, and VSU's QBs simply pulled the ball down and ran against. The team put up over 400 yards rushing.

Through five games, Wells is completing 78.33% of his passes with nine TDs to zero interceptions. His QB rating is 173.5.

in 2018, his completion percentage was 57.42. His rating was a 160.63. For the year, he threw 38 TDs with four INTs; that's 9.5 TDs per INT.

Comment

2018 Defense:

22.57 points per game. 268 yards per game.

2019 Defense:

15 points per game. 239.6 yards per game.

Is the defense that much better, or is controlling the ball more leading to better defensive numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post
                      Is the defense that much better, or is controlling the ball more leading to better defensive numbers?
                      Yes

Comment

There are a lot of really good teams out there at this point. We're getting in to the meat of everyone's schedules. Will be interesting to watch it unfold.

Snapshot (with roughly 165 D2 teams in the country):

On the QB comparison: Wells is second in the country (D2) on completion % with .781. QB from Quachita is first (.805). Roland Rivers is 3rd at .755.

Teamwise, we're 3rd in total offense at 544 ypg (Tarleton leads that with 583 ypg).

Slippery Rock leads the country in scoring at 55 ppg (we're tied for 12th).

We're one of 5 teams that haven't thrown an interception to this point.

Our rushing offense is #7 in the country (286 YPG).

I'd say let's keep doing what we're doing.

On the other side of the ball, we rank 9th in the country in total defense allowing 236 ypg.

Scoring defense we're tied at 16th (14.5 ppg).

Comment

Just a FWIW for those decrying our offensive performance:.

In 5 games we've had 29 plays of 20 yards or more.

That averages just under 6 of those plays per game.

That's pretty stout.
                          Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 10-07-2019, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Keeping the defense fresh by having the offense take what's given and having sustained drives relates directly to the coach's game plan. That's another one of those things that distinguishes Goff from Bell. I'm not saying one's better than the other, it just a different approach. The reason I like Goff's approach is during the game I feel we always have things under control. I'd say one noticeable similarity from last year is both teams tend to answer a score with a score.

Comment

I'm curious as to what you all think the chances are Valdosta loses a regular season game this year. We were talking over on the SAC forum about how we thought for a SAC team to win SR2, the first round bye would be very important. In order for that to happen Valdosta would obviously have to lose, and a SAC team (WIngate or LR) would have to go undefeated. Also, if they were to lose who do you think it would be to? I haven't had time to catch and Valdosta games this year so I don't know the differences in play styles etc.

Comment

Looking over our last two games - one reason we have such success in running the ball, is due to the blocking or our receivers do. The make their blocks and and stay with them, till the play is finnished

Kudos to Coach Sean McKeone for making this team successful.
                                <>

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X