Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coach Bell's offense - coming soon to a power 5 conference near you?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larold View Post
    "Calls for Strong to be fired have been flying on social media since the season began. Yesterday was the first commentary I've seen against Bell. Evidently the players are having a hard time learning his system."

Unfortunately, doesn't look like there will be enough time to learn his system at South Florida. Wouldn't surprise me at all that this time next year a Pack of Wolves may be learning his system though (or attempting to)
    Whoa, that can never two former VSU coaches in a row, Impossible. Of course it makes sense, but...

And besides are we giving up on Coach Dean that quickly? Shouldn't we give him a chance to get his type guys in there?

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

Whoa, that can never two former VSU coaches in a row, Impossible. Of course it makes sense, but...

And besides are we giving up on Coach Dean that quickly? Shouldn't we give him a chance to get his type guys in there?
      Hope they give him time. Is this his 2nd or 3rd year at Carrollton?
      I'm just stirring the pot. Actually, (talking about a LONG SHOT) I have a feeling that if somehow they got rid of Strong and made Bell HC he would turn it around .

Comment

Hope they give him time. Is this his 2nd or 3rd year at Carrollton? .
        This is his 3rd year, and by this time his team should be running on all cylinders. It's hard to tell, but I don't see a lot of leadership on this team, and not quite sure where to point that finger.
        Also, in watching the Wolves play, I just don't see the intensity from years past... leadership issues?

<>

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
          Bell's offense has been struggling other than the win over FCS SC State. They did score three touchdowns yesterday but I assume this entire staff is on the hot seat. IMO, it will take a big turnaround to save their jobs.

Coach bell doesn't have the right QB at USF. Do you guys remember the QB Roland Rivers III who transferred from Valdosta to Slippery Rock before the 2018 season? He's currently the #1 D2 QB now leading in every category, anyway when coach bell and his son went to USF they tried to bring Roland there to run the offense but couldn't happen. so I say give bell maybe 1-2 years and they'll be on point

Comment

Originally posted by Mad3 Boss View Post

Coach bell doesn't have the right QB at USF. Do you guys remember the QB Roland Rivers III who transferred from Valdosta to Slippery Rock before the 2018 season? He's currently the #1 D2 QB now leading in every category, anyway when coach bell and his son went to USF they tried to bring Roland there to run the offense but couldn't happen. so I say give bell maybe 1-2 years and they'll be on point
            1-2 years is about right. Wonder where he will be coaching then?
            STRONG GONE after this season(if not before.......hey maybe that's how Bell moves up))

Comment

......hey maybe that's how Bell moves up))
              Might have been Bell's plan when he went down there.

Our former OL coach (Darveau) is a super guy and a super coach. Hope he lands in a good spot when the dust settles.

Comment

Just took a look at USF's offensive production.

Through 4 games they're running for 98 ypg and passing for 207. TO averages 305 ypg.

Have scored 8 TD's passing and 3 TD rushing. Are completing 54% of passes. Have thrown 4 INT's.

Here's a biggie: have given up 20 sacks through 4 games. T-W-E-N-T-Y.

Coach Darveau is a really good OL coach and can get the best out of his guys. Just sounds like Bell might need to put as much effort into getting some guys in the trenches as he has recruiting skill guys (and he might well be).

Needs him some offensive linemen that can open holes and protect the QB. If he can do that, between him, Cade and Darveau they can build an offense that can put up some points.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Comment

1-2 years is about right. Wonder where he will be coaching then?
                  STRONG GONE after this season(if not before.......hey maybe that's how Bell moves up))
                  Bell's resume is a bit thin for that high profile a job but it's the kind of hire that might turn a doormat into a powerhouse.

Comment

I thought Bell should of stayed at VSU and he would of got better offers winning back 2 back echampionships at VSU especially with the offensive firepower he left behind. He should try to get Wells there for his Senior year if he still around next year. I'm afraid he's going to be out with Strong

Comment

Originally posted by Rollodex View Post
                      I thought Bell should of stayed at VSU
                      There's a little bit of difference in pay checks between HC here and OC at USF.

Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 10-01-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollodex View Post
                        I thought Bell should of stayed at VSU and he would of got better offers winning back 2 back echampionships at VSU especially with the offensive firepower he left behind. He should try to get Wells there for his Senior year if he still around next year. I'm afraid he's going to be out with Strong
                        I thought Both Dean & Bell were a bit short sighted but that's easy to say when it's not your money. I now see the power in extending a coach's contract. Ten years guaranteed might be tough to walk away from considering the fickle nature of the business.
                        Last edited by boyblue; 10-01-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

......but I don't see a lot of leadership on this team, and not quite sure where to point that finger.
                          Also, in watching the Wolves play, I just don't see the intensity from years past... leadership issues?
                          You are spot on. I wrote something similar in another thread. I don't see chemistry on that team and maybe those that are being looked at to be leaders on the team either don't have the personality to be leaders or don't know how to pull the team together.

Comment

It was evident pretty quickly that Bell was using VSU as a stepping stone. That's okay though. He did bring a national championship and left behind the pieces to win two (possibly three) more. The core of VSU's championship team was sophomores and freshmen, and Durham is certainly good enough to lead the team to a championship provided the current staff is able to surround him with talent his senior year.

With Dean, it seemed as both he and the program were stagnating and both needed a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately, Dean just didn't jump to the right spot at Georgia Southern. Looking at his time at VSU, there were a few 6-4 years sprinkled among his championships. I always had the impression that Dean was the same year in and year out and that in some years, the players decided whether they were going to make a run at the championship or not.

Even if this season turns into a complete disaster, UWG would be wise to look at Dean's career and not make a hasty decision lest they want to wander aimlessly in the Ledford Forrest for years again.

Bell chased a paycheck, but he also chased an opportunity. Win, and the door was open for him for an FBS head coaching job or an OC job at a "Power Five" program. Another national championship season(s) at VSU probably would have lead to an FCS coaching job before a shot at FBS. It doesn't appear the gamble is paying off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post
                              It doesn't appear the gamble is paying off.
                              Not right now, Strong cannot seem to get it righ. It's not about his effort, character or his ability to lead men, Strong has all of that but the job of head coach requires additional skills and by my measurement he seems lacking. If I had to guess I'd say that fear of failure may be his issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
                                Just took a look at USF's offensive production.

Here's a biggie: have given up 20 sacks through 4 games. T-W-E-N-T-Y.

With a crappy 0-Lline, I am surprised only 4 interceptions. The outlook is not good for USF this year.
                                Depends on A.D. on how much time they will allow. No school wants to go thru the 'head-coach-mary-go-round';

The rest of the their schedule, I see maybe 2 more wins. Maybe..

UConn
                                BYU
                                Navy
                                East Carolina
                                Temple
                                UCF
                                <>

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X