• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalifOKRA
    replied
    This is awesome...

- 41st meeting between the two teams
    - The two teams have met on the gridiron every year since 1982
    - Series record of 20-19-1 belonging to the Statesmen.

Leave a comment:

• Shugley
    replied
    Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
    PREVIEW: #25 Delta State to Host #13 Valdosta State
    https://gostatesmen.com/news/2022/9/...sta-state.aspx
    "Sophomore quarterback Patrick Shegog"??? Doesn't that guy already have a bachelors degree? I guess the next thing we know Trevar Deeds is going to be back in the line up... (guys, I know he had an injury year and then the covid year... I'm just picking fun).

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    While the Blazers are not off to a good start, I'm curious to see if they get better as the year continues.

With only 2 starters returning on D, part of me thinks we should've expected some challenges on that side of the football..given VSU wasn't a great defensive team a season ago. Tackling seems to be a challenges, for sure. Plenty of young guys that'll need to step up and put a shoulder into a opponent.

Watching Delta the other day I was impressed with their QB play and the dual threat he poses, but the thing that really jumped out was the size of the Delta OL. Each guy in the game upfront was over 300lbs and an avg of about 315. That's massive for D2. That itself could pose a real problem for a Valdosta squad that is smallish on the defensive side of the ball.

If Valdosta can find a happy balance between the run and the pass, I think they hang around in this game..but they need to start a little quicker. The offense has started slow continually, giving the opponent a believe they can hang around..instead of being KO'd early by a prolific offense.

This should be a telling game for both squads.

Leave a comment:

• agent1906vsu
    replied
    I can imagine it’s very difficult to learn an entire new coaches scheme, philosophy and terminology. But whatever it is, come on Blazers, let’s get it together. The rankings ho out the window when it comes to VSU play. You can get beat by any team I. The conference on any given Saturday. We know it’s not a lack of talent. Sooooo what is it?

Leave a comment:

• CalifOKRA
    replied
    PREVIEW: #25 Delta State to Host #13 Valdosta State
    https://gostatesmen.com/news/2022/9/...sta-state.aspx

Leave a comment:

• vsuman
    replied
    Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post
    What do you think is the cause of this is; lack of leadership, coaching, ???
    Something is lacking as we have made the same mistakes in 3 out of 4 games consistently. First half offensive struggles, unwillingness to RTDB, unable to stop the run (zero tackling), special teams (Either have Thiele do kick offs or kick the ball out of bounds), undisciplined (too many penalties and the worst possible time).

Leave a comment:

• Wide_Right
    replied
    What do you think is the cause of this is; lack of leadership, coaching, ???

Leave a comment:

• Fan_the_Flame
    replied
    Love the interview w/Cooley. He’s feeling something special with this team.
    The atmosphere he decscribed with his guys reminds me of our championship teams in the past. That cohesiveness is built over time through shared experiences ( which is why it’s so hard to win championships with teams overloaded with transfers (I’d call that the Terry Bowden Syndrome)).
    Teams with that kind of cohesiveness thrive when under pressure/stress. That showed against UWF.
    Cooley mentioned last years game with VSU. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind reciprocating on that.
    VSU is gonna have to be ready to play at a very high level out of the chute and for all 4 quarters if they’re gonna have a chance in this game.
    Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 09-28-2022, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• vsuman
    replied
    Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

I’m not optimistic. The O-line needs help in every category. Again, I see VSU as 7 - 4 team. I hope I’m wrong.
    You're being optimistic at 7 - 4. If we continue to start off cold in the first half's like we have been, we're done! It would be different if our offense was struggling but we had a dominate defense (#Defensivemindedcoach), but we don't!

This game will tell me what we have. I hope the Blazers prove me wrong!

Leave a comment:

• Wide_Right
    replied
    Originally posted by boyblue View Post
    We haven't been playing at the level I saw from DSU last week, It's like we've been stuck in low gear. All we can do is hope it comes together eventually. If we do lose this one we're probably going to have to win out to make the playoffs.
    I’m not optimistic. The O-line needs help in every category. Again, I see VSU as 7 - 4 team. I hope I’m wrong.

Leave a comment:

• boyblue
    replied
    We haven't been playing at the level I saw from DSU last week, It's like we've been stuck in low gear. All we can do is hope it comes together eventually. If we do lose this one we're probably going to have to win out to make the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• BlazerLady
    replied
    Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
    The hurricane has shifted to the east. Just letting people know.
    Yep. Been watching the updates. Expecting an announcement about classes.

Leave a comment:

• statesmen supporter
    replied
    The hurricane has shifted to the east. Just letting people know.

Leave a comment:

• vsukerosene
    replied
    Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
    Congrats, knew our players didn't deserve nothing.

Unless I change my mind, I've picked the Okra to win this week. Not sure they are that gook but are opportunistic and blazers are vulnerable. Could be repeat of DSU/UWF.

Leave a comment:

• statesmen supporter
    replied
    GSC Players of the week. https://gscsports.org/news/2022/9/25...-the-week.aspx

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X