Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FormerCrusader#84 View Post
    I kind of see UNA as a lateral move for Shinnick at this point. Sure, the money may be better and it is technically a "step up" but there is a lot more going for UWF (in D2) than UNA (in FCS) IMO. UWF is the only D2 football playing school in FL and it is a public school along with a good location - which is why they are able to recruit the kind of players that they have been getting (it is an easier pitching recruits "coastal Florida" than it is to l the mountains of Alabama). UNA is not doing that. I honestly think UWF will be FCS in the not too distant future.
    I so wish UWF would go to FCS! The beach is a great recruitment tool but the Transfer Portal has changed a whole lot. The Argos saw that with Reed jumping ship. Also, some of the better recruits of the past no longer have to sit out a year in D1, so it's a different ballgame now for everyone including UWF.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

No doubt. Specifically about talking about UNA though, they went UP too soon, and it's been a LONG JOURNEY. Shinnick could no doubt develope a program there, just wonder how long it would take, more importantly, with all his previous success, would he want to spend the years proving something he's already proven? Maybe most importantly, are the powers that be at UNA (boosters, admin etc) willing to give him ever how many years it'll take on top of what they've already endured ?
      Most UNA fans feel it was way too late. They think we should have followed Troy and Jax State to I-AA in the 90s.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Every year since the 2017 title run there has been speculation about coach Shinnick’s imminent departure for the greener pastures of D1, yet it’s been 5 years and he is still happily winning at West Florida. While I don’t think it impossible that he leaves for another job, I do believe there are good reasons why he’s stayed put in Pensacola.

1. He has said repeatedly how he and his family love living in Pensacola and I think that sentiment also prevails among his long term coaching staff who have been with him since Azusa Pacific and UNC Pembroke. He and his family do not have fond memories of the isolation of a school like Pembroke and do not want to do that again.

2. He wants to win multiple and more conference, regional and national titles and he is in prime position to do that now at UWF rather than years down the road somewhere else.

3. The building up at West Florida is still not complete and he probably wants to be there to christen the new on campus stadium with 10,000 plus fans. The campus areas around the temporary stadium and the parking lots are shaded and perfect for tailgating and there was a lot more of it this season by students and fans than at unshaded and hot Blue Wahoo. Not saying it’s The Grove yet, but the potential and layout are primed to create a D2 version of it at UWF.

4. If the reports are true from player’s parents that the Argo coaches are telling recruits that UWF is going D1 in the near future, then it makes perfect sense for Shinnick to stay put and continue to grow the program his way through the transition. He may also be waiting for FCS transition rule changes after seeing the North AL struggles. He has already shown his D2 teams can beat a FCS team and has no problem scheduling scrimmages with D1 teams either. Why move to a struggling FCS program in need of a long term rebuild when he can stay put and field a winning team he’s already built up for just that purpose?

5. What is in Florence that can compete with Pensacola? A D1 status team at the bottom of its conference with angry and frustrated boosters wanting to win yesterday? Why give up playing for titles in a diverse and growing Pensacola for that headache in football only Florence? Oh, there is no state income tax in Florida like there is in Alabama.

6. Everyone always says the money will make him leave, but with the money comes a more pressured lifestyle and coach Shinnick has repeatedly said that he likes the better overall lifestyle of a D2 coach and interactions with the players vs the Nick Saban format.

That’s my two cents worth of speculation and the fact that he’s still here makes me think he wants to do more building here than leave for greener pastures elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
          Every year since the 2017 title run there has been speculation about coach Shinnick’s imminent departure for the greener pastures of D1, yet it’s been 5 years and he is still happily winning at West Florida. While I don’t think it impossible that he leaves for another job, I do believe there are good reasons why he’s stayed put in Pensacola.

1. He has said repeatedly how he and his family love living in Pensacola and I think that sentiment also prevails among his long term coaching staff who have been with him since Azusa Pacific and UNC Pembroke. He and his family do not have fond memories of the isolation of a school like Pembroke and do not want to do that again.

2. He wants to win multiple and more conference, regional and national titles and he is in prime position to do that now at UWF rather than years down the road somewhere else.

3. The building up at West Florida is still not complete and he probably wants to be there to christen the new on campus stadium with 10,000 plus fans. The campus areas around the temporary stadium and the parking lots are shaded and perfect for tailgating and there was a lot more of it this season by students and fans than at unshaded and hot Blue Wahoo. Not saying it’s The Grove yet, but the potential and layout are primed to create a D2 version of it at UWF.

4. If the reports are true from player’s parents that the Argo coaches are telling recruits that UWF is going D1 in the near future, then it makes perfect sense for Shinnick to stay put and continue to grow the program his way through the transition. He may also be waiting for FCS transition rule changes after seeing the North AL struggles. He has already shown his D2 teams can beat a FCS team and has no problem scheduling scrimmages with D1 teams either. Why move to a struggling FCS program in need of a long term rebuild when he can stay put and field a winning team he’s already built up for just that purpose?

5. What is in Florence that can compete with Pensacola? A D1 status team at the bottom of its conference with angry and frustrated boosters wanting to win yesterday? Why give up playing for titles in a diverse and growing Pensacola for that headache in football only Florence? Oh, there is no state income tax in Florida like there is in Alabama.

6. Everyone always says the money will make him leave, but with the money comes a more pressured lifestyle and coach Shinnick has repeatedly said that he likes the better overall lifestyle of a D2 coach and interactions with the players vs the Nick Saban format.

That’s my two cents worth of speculation and the fact that he’s still here makes me think he wants to do more building here than leave for greener pastures elsewhere.
          I agree with everything you said. Well said.
          RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
          Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I dunno. Tarleton, Lindenwood, and Texas A&M-Commerce don't seem to be having many issues with it.
            If that's the measuring stick everyone should move up.

Comment

What's the HC salary at UNA?
              What's the football budget?
              Are they at 63?
              How many full time football coaches?

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post

Pretty much. Why do you think I live in Pensacola and not Florence? LOL. No doubt that Shinnick isn't likely to go anywhere. I only mentioned it because UNA fans are pointing out how he and the current UNA Pres worked together at Pembroke. That's all.

However, there are reasons to entertain other offers for Shinnick and/or UWF. The Argos are seeing that scheduling is hurting them. Heck, scheduling and beating an FCS team last season did UWF no favors in the playoff seedings. Just having fewer D2 and in-region games is hurting them in the regional rankings right now. Scheduling is one of the main reasons UNA finally voted to reclassify after years of flirting with the idea. I also think recruiting is going to get more interesting for Shinnick as the portal allows players to constantly go in and out to other divisions. Maybe that rumor is true about going D1 and he is building toward that goal. I'd love to watch FCS football here in town!

UNA's football struggles are largely on the coaching staff that didn't do well even in the last year of D2. Other teams currently in transition that have veteran coaches at the helm are doing pretty well against FCS competition.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

If that's the measuring stick everyone should move up.
                  I never said it was a measuring stick but several are acting like every D2 team that moves up struggles. That's just not true. We've all seen D2s beat FCS teams regularly.

Of course, reclassifying to D1 is about a lot more than just football. I think UNA's other teams have benefitted the most. Football got left out to dry a bit.
                  Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                    What's the HC salary at UNA?
                    What's the football budget?
                    Are they at 63?
                    How many full time football coaches?
                    The rumor floating is the new HC salary will be $300K. But, they are usually very tight-lipped about it. Yes, full FCS scholarship allotment.

Personally, I want to see Mark Hudspeth rehired.
                    Last edited by UNALions; 11-01-2022, 04:39 PM.
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I dunno. Tarleton, Lindenwood, and Texas A&M-Commerce don't seem to be having many issues with it.
                      OK . Why is it taking UNA so long to do what the schools you mentioned have done? Can't be tradition, no school anywhere can rival what UNA did in D2.

Comment

The rumor floating is the new HC salary will be $300K. But, they are usually very tight-lipped about it. Yes, full FCS scholarship allotment.

Personally, I want to see Mark Hudspeth rehired.
                        I hear Mickey Andrews loved Florence when he was there. He ain't doin' nuthin' rat now.

Comment

Yes he did and did a great job building a strong D2 Program

D2 is still a long way from FCS (just ask UNA)
                          If memory serves, UNA was 5-5 in their last year in D-II. It's not like they made the jump on a high note.

Comment

Pretty much. Why do you think I live in Pensacola and not Florence?

The Argos are seeing that scheduling is hurting them. Heck, scheduling and beating an FCS team last season did UWF no favors in the playoff seedings. Just having fewer D2 and in-region games is hurting them in the regional rankings right now. Scheduling is one of the main reasons UNA finally voted to reclassify after years of flirting with the idea.
                            I'd much rather live in Florence than Pensacola, but that's just me.

As for scheduling, UWG, VSU, and UWF are all in a precarious position, and each would be better off, for football, in FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post

I'd much rather live in Florence than Pensacola, but that's just me.

As for scheduling, UWG, VSU, and UWF are all in a precarious position, and each would be better off, for football, in FCS.
                              Yeah, I mean not to offend the beach lovers out there but not everyone loves the beach. There are a lot of people that love the mountains. I’m not sure a recruit today gives two craps about the weather or environment. They care about NIL, they care about benefits ie facilities, they care about the coaches that recruited them, they care about how they will fit into the system and playing time, they care about winning which leads to accolades for them, oh and they care about the pretty girls in college, perhaps not in that order. That’s it I believe for the majority. Their not thinking about tanning on the beach during the summer or white water rafting in the mountains in regards to their decision making I don’t think. As far as a coach goes, I imagine it’s salary, their perks, their assistants salaries, and how much control their going to have of their program, along with their relationship with AD and Pres. Again, weather, white sand nor rocky cliff trails plays a role in their thinking imo.

Comment

OK . Why is it taking UNA so long to do what the schools you mentioned have done? Can't be tradition, no school anywhere can rival what UNA did in D2.
                                Poor coaching.
                                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X