Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSC's 2023 Football Scheduling

I know this has been brought up in the past, but with how everything has worked out so well with NGU and the GSC, wouldn't it make sense to take a look at adding some, if not all, of Conference Carolina's other football playing programs? I have a pretty good feeling that some wouldn't mind at all being in the same situation as fellow Conference Carolina member NGU.

Heck, after this year's PO selection situation, who knows, Newberry may also be interested in being a part of the mix.

2023's scheduling is right around the corner, and looking forward, having to double up with playing the same teams in a regular season is definitely not the optimal situation for filling a schedule for any D2 football team..

I don’t see how a school under 1k students can afford to play D2 football. That’s wild to me.

But to your point, the GSC should invite NGU and UNCP as full members. Pembroke with over 7k students is huge playing all those tiny schools.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
      I don’t see how a school under 1k students can afford to play D2 football. That’s wild to me.

But to your point, the GSC should invite NGU and UNCP as full members. Pembroke with over 7k students is huge playing all those tiny schools.
      Yea, I heard that UNC Pembroke is now closing in on an enrollment of around 8,500.

Comment

UNC Penbroke has the Braves as the mascot. I know why but I’m an old UWG graduate who was a Brave… Oh well would be nice to get more teams in the GSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          I know this has been brought up in the past, but with how everything has worked out so well with NGU and the GSC, wouldn't it make sense to take a look at adding some, if not all, of Conference Carolina's other football playing programs? I have a pretty good feeling that some wouldn't mind at all being in the same situation as fellow Conference Carolina member NGU.

Heck, after this year's PO selection situation, who knows, Newberry may also be interested in being a part of the mix.

2023's scheduling is right around the corner, and looking forward, having to double up with playing the same teams in a regular season is definitely not the optimal situation for filling a schedule for any D2 football team..
          Newberry isn't going anywhere.

As far as Barton and Erskine, their contract as affiliate members doesn't run out until after 2023 and when Anderson starts football in 2024 Barton will probably not be retained as a SAC football member.

I don't know how Chowan feels, if they like it in the CIAA or not.

Pembroke would be a good add. I doubt they like driving to the MEC schools
          Last edited by canadarican; 11-24-2022, 07:08 AM.

Comment

From FootballScoop:

West Alabama (D-II): The University of West Alabama Football is looking for opponents for the 2023 season week 3 (Sept. 16) and potentially week 4 (Sept. 23). We also have weeks 1,2, & 3 open in 2024. E-mail [email protected] if interested in discussing options.
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

From FootballScoop:

West Alabama (D-II): The University of West Alabama Football is looking for opponents for the 2023 season week 3 (Sept. 16) and potentially week 4 (Sept. 23). We also have weeks 1,2, & 3 open in 2024. E-mail [email protected] if interested in discussing options.
              They should look into the GLVC. Delta has played McKendree the last two seasons and will play Missouri S&T this season. I know it’s not SR2, but at least it’s D2 opponents.

The GSC commissioner, along with the school’s ADs, should be contacting other small conferences that need non-conference games. Hopefully the commissioner and ADs are doing that. Need to be proactive before those dates are filled.

Obviously I’m an outsider looking in, so I’m not sure what goes on behind closed doors or how any of the scheduling works. Hopefully these ADs aren’t just expecting/waiting for emails. They need to be sending emails, too. Just some of my thoughts. Thoughts for all GSC teams.
              RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
              Delta State University, GSC

Comment

UNC-P, Newberry, etc.......at least someone different to spice up the schedule. But Newberry......man, you guys need to air condition your rest rooms.....lol......

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post
                  UNC-P, Newberry, etc.......at least someone different to spice up the schedule. .....
                  As it stands right now, The GSC has 12 open dates that need to be filled for 2023 and 2024. Seems like now would be the time to consider options.

Comment

From FootballScoop:

GV is looking. They have an open date, but will UWA do a H/H?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

I enjoyed the home & home Delta had with GVSU in 2018 and 2019.
                      RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                      Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Upper Iowa

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

I enjoyed the home & home Delta had with GVSU in 2018 and 2019.
                          So did I and more than a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Upper Iowa
                            I thought about them as well. I don't know what GV's admin is or isn't doing. I do know when I last checked that GV has open dates in front of and behind the Saginaw game in late Sept.

Comment

The Argos have done H/H with good teams a fair distance away (C-N and TAMC) and I would hope coach Shinnick would be open to the same with GV. Would love to see that game here to open the season. It would be like a playoff atmosphere to kick off the season, especially if it was a rematch from this year’s playoffs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X