Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LRU vs Virginia State

In the past no one has questioned the LR Coaching staff more than I have, but today, the day after the first game, allow me to share some thoughts.
    LR should have won this game and they did. But some things stood out. First, unfortunately for both LR and a very fine young man, the Bears definitely had the wrong starting quarterback.
    3 picks in the first half (including a pass on the very first play of the game) and all three were complete gifts to Virginia State.

However, the coaching staff made a change at halftime even though we had the lead, and what a change it was. QB number 2 was excellent from the first moment. In fact the whole team seemed to respond and was better, much better, in my opinion. Sean White showed calm, cool and collected mind set to go with a rife arm with complete accuracy.

Second, the defense was ready to play from the beginning. And there pass defense and run defense was spot on from the start and only got better as the game went on.

Third, and this is a mixed bag, every Bear Fan knows and has known the running game was missing an element. Running Back #1 is really good when he gets an opening, he is as fast as anyone you will see. But get you 3 yards when you need 2 is really tough for him. Despite this he did better last evening because he got some openings. A power back he is not.

But where I complement the coaching staff is that last night they used other running backs with effectiveness as well. This they did not do last year at all.
    Yet, there is no evidence that they went out and got that monster running back to get you 3 to 5 yards when you have to have it.

I have said that I truly hope Coach Jacobs and crew will grow into the same pinnacle level as Goldsmith, Houston and Cronic. Last evening they certainly move up the ladder. Not yet to the pinnacle but a lot closer. I believe the coaching staff is growing.

Go Bears.

The defensive line was excellent last night. VSU was physically large and the QB is one of the few D2 players who has the Cam Newton like FB/QB characteristics. That LR took away the running game against that type of offense (despite other flaws VSU may have) is encouraging.

Totally agree about the QB position, although I will say that I don’t think the deep int was his fault, the WR completely gave up his inside position to the CB. I believe the offense is in this strange position where they want to go with their bread and butter (running the ball) but the unit’s strength is the WR’s abilities to make plays in space. I think the play calling was caught in two minds last night and was unable to establish an identity. Too many 3-outs.

Comment

I appreciate your input and you are very right on many things. But why do you say this about Sean White? That is not what I saw last evening at all. Do you have meat to put on that opinion or its just conjecture? Just asking, not arguing. I do not know either young man and have only a fan and supporters perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
        I appreciate your input and you are very right on many things. But why do you say this about Sean White? That is not what I saw last evening at all. Do you have meat to put on that opinion or its just conjecture? Just asking, not arguing. I do not know either young man and have only a fan and supporters perspective.
        Backing up your point. He beat a good Newberry team during the covid season as a true freshman despite not taking first team practice reps nor knowing he would be the starter until right before game time. The guy has big game experience. Difficult to see why a team wouldn’t play for that.

Comment

Bears game. Hard evaluation for me because because I don’t know enough about VSU. I know they don’t have a punter or a kicker. Our starting qb seemed nervous or something but was definitely out of sync. White came in and looked comfortable under pressure. Thought our defense was very good. Offense needs something just not sure what. Special teams was disappointing because of three big mistakes. Those against a quality team will net us a loss. These same mistakes happened last year so for some reason we have a special teams situation of sorts. The atmosphere in the stadium was electric and looking forward to next game for they will need their A game against Ferris State. There is a reason why lots of good teams play a lesser opponent in their opener. Hopefully we can work out the kinks and get better.

Comment

You could definitely see a lot of nerves and 1st game jitters for the starting QB. I think the pick on the first play got into his head and he never really got back in sync although he did make some good passes along the way. The running game is still predictable and like you guys have said we either break it for 20 or get 1 or 2, no power rushing. The defense was impressive, but honestly I don’t think VSU was a very talented team, they were large on the line but that is about it. Ferris State is going to be a different animal so our guys better have a good week of practice and be ready to go or we could get routed. I hope we step it up and can give Ferris State a hard fought game.

Comment

VSU had alot of changes coming into this game. They lost three quarterbacks who started last year because of the HC change (which in itself was unexpected and happened after spring practice). I also thought VSU caught some really bad breaks in this game, like the TD catch that was ruled as not a catch). VSU blew coverages for what should have been 3 scores for L-R (they only cashed in on 1). The DL checked L-Rs run game for quite a bit of the game, but I think the D got tired. On offense, VSU really couldnt catch anything, but they did switch up the run game into sweeps as needed. The strength clearly is the run game.

The better team won, but L-R needs to fix that QB situation in order to be competitive at the top of the SAC.

Comment

It looked to me like they were not mentally ready for this game. There were a lot of crucial mistakes where they either left points on the field or they gave VSU extra opportunities. That being said I hope they have got that stuff out of the way and are ready to focus on the season going forward. Special teams really needs to step it up, they rough the punter in the end zone when he muffs the punt and gave them a first down, they let the punter run for 20+ yards after he fumbles the snap, of course he was their running back, and then on the pooch kick nobody jumps on the ball and they get it back. It was hard to see from where I was seated but it looked like they were trying to pick it up and run with it instead of just securing the ball. It seemed weird to me that the first play of the game was an interception and the first play of the second half was a fumble, not the way to start off either half, again wondering if that is a biproduct of not being focus. The last thing I will say is regarding the offense it seems to me like they run the same formation a lot, they run someone in motion and either give it to him, about 10% of the time, or they hand it to the running back up the middle, if he has a hole he can get 5 to 10 yards if not then its 0 to 2 yards. The backs seem to run great when they have space so you would think they would want to get them the ball in space, like a swing pass, I just don't remember them trying that too much Saturday night. Anyways looking forward to Saturday afternoon, hoping they work some of the bugs out.

Comment

The QB situation really worries me about LRs potential in the SAC. I just feel like there’s a reason White couldn’t win the starting job from Cagle in the off-season. Also, let’s not forget he also threw 3 pics in his first start at Newberry. Neither one are very good in my opinion. This situation better be handled carefully, or boths confidence will be shattered and the bears will be in for a long season. What happened to the veteran QBs from last year or why couldn’t we get someone decent from the Portal?
                  I have thought all along McGee is overrated. He struggles vs good run defenses. Plus, the coaching staff doesn’t do a good job of using his strengths. Long gone are the Cronic days where he schemed the other team and he put his best players in positions to make plays. This new staff just hopes that our Jimmy’s are better than their Joes.
                  I don’t think the team has yet to buy into Jacobs and his staff. This is not good news. They have been there for 3 years. If they don’t win a ring this year (given the new weight room, stadium, and all the resources LR has), I think Jacobs has to go.
                  It doesn’t help that they have to play the best d2 team in the nation after a disappointing season opener. Not to mention teams like Newberry Wingate Limestone and Mars Hill all looked very competitive last week.
                  GO BEARS

Comment

Nice win over a medium sized 'Public' Institution.

Comment

Long time LR fan... but to be brutally honest not impressed with the Virginia St win. QB position needs to be solidified and play better , the run game with suffer as well as teams can stack the box with no threat of passing game. I also think that the lost of Coach Brown who was the DC/ LB coach can hurt when we play better teams but will give the DL coach a chance at the DC being his 1st year. Linebacker coach who replaced Brown was a head coach at D 3 Luthern was 2 & 28 over 3 years! His last 5 games his team gave up 64, 68, 69, 76 and 65 points!!!! How does he even have a coaching job ???! Bad hire !

Comment

It sure is interesting to get different perceptions of the game. And to top it all off, each may completely accurate. At least from their vantage point.
                        Last year we beat VSU by a much wider margin but I posted then that we won not because we were the better team but because we were the least bad team of the two on the field.

This year, last Saturday, I thought we were the better team but with lots of problems to fix. I gave the coaches credit for making adjustments that they NEVER made last year at any time during the season. Perhaps, my hope and desire to see LRU get back to where we were was/is coloring my view. Personally I do not like being critical or negative. But this coaching staff has made it fairly easy to be just that.

I sincerely hope that Jacobs and crew help get the bugs out this week. I do not expect us to win against Ferris but I do hope we give them a 100% effort and, if not a win, which I really hope for, then a game that Ferris will remember as a game between two great teams. Maybe like App and UNC this past Saturday.

Comment

We have a decent chance this Saturday. Starting of with discipline of your duties during the game. We need to come out fast and strong in all aspects of the game. They will probably try some deep passes because they threw several in there first game. They will probably try a fake punt and a short kick off because they saw our game. Whoever can out scheme the other will win. Hopefully we will execute a better game plan than Ferris. We have the talent for I have seen it in there practice’s. Off. Coordinator needs to throw the kitchen sink at em in this one. Halfback passes etc. misdirection plays, screen passes bring it all out. Supposed to rain Saturday so practice for it. Any advantage we can find we need to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
                            We have a decent chance this Saturday. Starting of with discipline of your duties during the game. We need to come out fast and strong in all aspects of the game. They will probably try some deep passes because they threw several in there first game. They will probably try a fake punt and a short kick off because they saw our game. Whoever can out scheme the other will win. Hopefully we will execute a better game plan than Ferris. We have the talent for I have seen it in there practice’s. Off. Coordinator needs to throw the kitchen sink at em in this one. Halfback passes etc. misdirection plays, screen passes bring it all out. Supposed to rain Saturday so practice for it. Any advantage we can find we need to find it.
                            I love your optimism. But let’s be realistic. Ferris State is a dominant team. Much more physical up front and better athletes and skilled positions. I know you’re trying to see the bright side of things, but LR is not on the same level a Ferris State. I mean they had 3rd stringers playing in the national championship. And they may be even better this year than last. Ferris will win big.

Comment

Well d2superfan I guess LR should just not play a strong schedule. Credit to LR for this game as well as Ferris for coming down to Hickory. Win or lose this type of matchup is what makes D2 football fun and exciting. Next time you’re critical of teams on the LR or Ferris schedule refer back to this level of programs willing to play a regular season game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X