Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWBERRY vs. Lenior Rhyne

Today, NEWBERRY beat a good LR team as well as the officials. I have never complained about officiating on this site before; however, that was the most one sided officiating I have seen in a long time. But the wolves still won by 2 touchdowns! The NEWBERRY offense played well today, gaining over 445 yards of offense on a team that averaged giving up less than 300 per game. Big Man Mario Anderson rushing for 251 yards, The BEST back in the SAC! Kitchings had a good day as well with 5 catches for 113 yards. Well done NEWBERRY!

Hail to the Scarlet and Gray!

Originally posted by Hailscarlet&gray View Post
    Today, NEWBERRY beat a good LR team as well as the officials. I have never complained about officiating on this site before; however, that was the most one sided officiating I have seen in a long time. But the wolves still won by 2 touchdowns! The NEWBERRY offense played well today, gaining over 445 yards of offense on a team that averaged giving up less than 300 per game. Big Man Mario Anderson rushing for 251 yards, The BEST back in the SAC! Kitchings had a good day as well with 5 catches for 113 yards. Well done NEWBERRY!

Hail to the Scarlet and Gray!
    Way to go Wolves! I'll have to get my Newberry shirt out to celebrate!

Comment

The thing that got me after the game today was Newberry jumping up and down celebrating how they had just walked in between the bricks and embarrassed Lr on their home turf. That had to be hard to watch for Bear Nation. $20million dollar stadium doing them no good so far.
      sad.

Comment

Newberry has a Mahomes type qb that gives teams fits to defend. If he stays healthy they should have a great year. Congratulations on your win you beat a very good team today. Bears are in good shape for years to come and look forward to a rematch next year or maybe later this year you never know. We have had that play out a couple of times with Carson Newman. Bear Nation has never been stronger and we are not slowing down either. Great young talent not only on football but all sports. We have two more stadiums in the works to be built and our Bears club just wrote a check to the school for over a million dollars. Bears club has tripled in size the last couple years. Kim Pate is a great AD and has been recognized nationally for that. All our starters are underclassmen in football and with the best facilities in not just the SAC but most all of D2 we are definitely going to be recruiting great talent on and off the field. We continue to lead the conference in academic accomplishments and gpa. Bear Nation is very very strong and any one stating other wise is a fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
          Newberry has a Mahomes type qb that gives teams fits to defend. If he stays healthy they should have a great year. Congratulations on your win you beat a very good team today. Bears are in good shape for years to come and look forward to a rematch next year or maybe later this year you never know. We have had that play out a couple of times with Carson Newman. Bear Nation has never been stronger and we are not slowing down either. Great young talent not only on football but all sports. We have two more stadiums in the works to be built and our Bears club just wrote a check to the school for over a million dollars. Bears club has tripled in size the last couple years. Kim Pate is a great AD and has been recognized nationally for that. All our starters are underclassmen in football and with the best facilities in not just the SAC but most all of D2 we are definitely going to be recruiting great talent on and off the field. We continue to lead the conference in academic accomplishments and gpa. Bear Nation is very very strong and any one stating other wise is a fraud.
          Thank you so much for sharing this information. This gives me so much more content to use against bear nation. The fact that the bears club just wrote a check for a million dollars is hilarious, especially given the fact that Newberry just beat you at home. I bet they don’t have a donor club donating that kind of money. But it doesn’t matter. They have beat the bears two years in a row.

at the game Saturday, it didn’t seem like bear nation was very strong. People were trash talking the entire program where I was sitting, yelling for the coaching staff to be fired and talking about how the program is not in good shape. Things do not look good for the bears.

Newberry is the standard of the SAC. Bears keep falling further behind, and might not even make the playoffs this year. That’s comical to me, given all the resources and money that you just admitted the school has.

I honestly feel bad for bear nation. That Drew Cronic showed them what winning felt like and they have never been able to feel that since 2019. Honestly, I hope you keep Mike Jacobs, because as long as he is there LRU will not win any championships.

Comment

Not sure what game Hailscarlet&gray was watching but if any team was getting screwed it was LR and it started on the first drive when they stopped them on third down when the receiver and defenders feet got tangled up and they gave NB a fresh set of downs at the one, I saw several non calls on holding and PI as well. But I'm not going to sit here and blame the refs for this loss. That being said, the Ref was terrible, I know of at least three times the back judge had to come in and correct the ref after he made the wrong call.

As for D2superfan, if I remember correctly you acted like you were a LR fan earlier but now you are excited to get content to use against Bear Nation, yes that sounds like a real fan, not of LR but of someone else.

But now for the real reason I'm posting, it is time for Jacobs to go. He is unable to win the big games, TU in the COVID year, NB last year and NB again this year. I think its his MO, when he was at ND they would win the easy MEC but not go anywhere in the playoffs, last year LR gets in the playoffs after losing to NB and get crushed at Bowie State. If, and its a big if, LR does make the playoffs this year, it will be a road game, probably at a GSC school. LR needs to scrap this offensive and get bigger and go to a RPO, we need a big QB who is capable of running, we need big receivers who can go up and get jump balls and receivers who can catch passes when they are wide open.

If you look at winning teams in college football, you don't see the offenses that LR runs. Let's be honest, the defense was on the field way to long yesterday and were just worn out by the 4th quarter. If it wasn't for the fumble and blocked punt, which lead to 10 points for LR the outcome would have been a lot worse.

I'll enjoy the last two home games and see what happens

GO Bears

Comment

Originally posted by 87Bear View Post
              Not sure what game Hailscarlet&gray was watching but if any team was getting screwed it was LR and it started on the first drive when they stopped them on third down when the receiver and defenders feet got tangled up and they gave NB a fresh set of downs at the one, I saw several non calls on holding and PI as well. But I'm not going to sit here and blame the refs for this loss. That being said, the Ref was terrible, I know of at least three times the back judge had to come in and correct the ref after he made the wrong call.

As for D2superfan, if I remember correctly you acted like you were a LR fan earlier but now you are excited to get content to use against Bear Nation, yes that sounds like a real fan, not of LR but of someone else.

But now for the real reason I'm posting, it is time for Jacobs to go. He is unable to win the big games, TU in the COVID year, NB last year and NB again this year. I think its his MO, when he was at ND they would win the easy MEC but not go anywhere in the playoffs, last year LR gets in the playoffs after losing to NB and get crushed at Bowie State. If, and its a big if, LR does make the playoffs this year, it will be a road game, probably at a GSC school. LR needs to scrap this offensive and get bigger and go to a RPO, we need a big QB who is capable of running, we need big receivers who can go up and get jump balls and receivers who can catch passes when they are wide open.

If you look at winning teams in college football, you don't see the offenses that LR runs. Let's be honest, the defense was on the field way to long yesterday and were just worn out by the 4th quarter. If it wasn't for the fumble and blocked punt, which lead to 10 points for LR the outcome would have been a lot worse.

GO Bears
              I will let the numbers sperak for themselves. NEWBERRY was penalized 100 yards to LR only 45! NEWBERRY had 5 holding calls to LR 0. LR didn't get a penalty the ENTIRE second half. Newberry had a touchdown called back for "holding". Pass interference was call on the NEWBERRY defensive back when your own commentators stated it should have been offensive pass interference. Those two call alone provided LR with a 14 point difference and NEWBERRY still beat them by two touchdowns. You need to add those officials to your Christmas list rather than bashing them, becuase if it hadn't been for them, NEWBERRY would have run you out of your own stadium!

Comment

It’s not always about the number of penalties but sometimes it’s about the timing of the penalties. I don’t think these refs will be on either teams Christmas list. Oh and I agree NEWBERRY should have won by more but not because of the refs.

Good luck to NEWBERRY the rest of the season.

Go Bears

Comment

GO Bears
                  87Bear,

I agree 100% that Jacobs and crew need to hit the road. They have every resource available to them and haven't accomplished anything meaningful. I think he is more there to be a PR rep promoting the stadium more than coaching football, I've heard more talk about that damn stadium and kissing the ADs butt from him all year long instead of football. I wish there was another Drew Cronic out there somewhere that we could find, until then I am afraid LR won't live up to any of the expectations we expect.

Comment

GO Bears
                    87Bear

You might need to go back & check Jacobs resume. To say he can't win big games & that he didn't do anything in playoffs at NDC is inaccurate. He took over NDC when they were an average program and made them a winning program. 2018 National Semi-finals & 2019 National Region Finals. He knows what it takes to win.

Comment

Originally posted by FANOFTHEGAME13 View Post

87Bear

You might need to go back & check Jacobs resume. To say he can't win big games & that he didn't do anything in playoffs at NDC is inaccurate. He took over NDC when they were an average program and made them a winning program. 2018 National Semi-finals & 2019 National Region Finals. He knows what it takes to win.
                      Not to disagree, but he also happened to have Jaleel McLaughlin. Arguably one of the best running backs we've seen in Division 2 at least since I've been following it for 15 years.

Comment

Mike Jacobs and staff have not shown an ability to bring in the type of players that a top notch program needs to recruit in their time in Hickory. They in fact have not shown the ability to even identify the needs. He did not select the correct quarterback at the beginning of this season, and while we now have a serviceable qb, he is not going to win any games for us the way Tre Harris does for Newberry. He is not on anyone's list of top qbs in the league, much less the nation.

For 3 years we all have known and talked about the need for a real tailback. Bless his heart, Mcgee does his best, plays his heart out but he is just not the type of back that will lead us to the promised land without an all NFL offensive line in front of him. Last Saturday we saw a real tailback. Surely he is not the only one available to D2 programs.

And the play calling, while it has improved over this season, it still is really very predictable and leads to way to many 3 and outs. If we were in season 1 of the Jacobs time, ok, give him the benefit of the doubt. But this is year 3. Let the person step forward that says the Bears are better today than they were when he and his staff got here.

We also have to remember that most of the sophomores that are playing are in their 3rd year at LR which means they were most likely recruited not by Jacob but by Cronic and that staff. Of course the same is true for the few juniors and seniors that are still here. So do not forget the question: where did all the other Cronic recruits go?

Jacobs and staff are not bad people. That is not the point or issue. But are they lifting LR back to the top of the mountain? Unfortunately, last Saturday said very loudly and clearly NO.

In a several week ago post, I said that if LR and its supporters were ready to accept average as the standard, then fine. Our football program is average. We are middle of the conference pack. Case closed.

But that is not what President Whit and AD Pate said to us when they introduced Mike Jacobs to the Bears Club. Average was nowhere in that conversation.

Comment

Say what you will about Jacobs, but recruiting is not the problem. He's consistently brought in high level players (Maye, McGee, Lester) who have been ready to play from day one. Since he's come in 2019 we've had both quality and quantity (massive recruiting classes, most of which stick around the program). If you ask me, the problem has been coaching once they get to campus. While I have no issue with the defense this year, the offensive playcalling is far too vanilla for a program which has the goals that LR has -- that is what has to change going into next year. For the record I still think we win out and squeak into the playoffs, but what will that get us? A road loss in the first or second round? I want to be playing football IN HICKORY deep into November.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Not to disagree, but he also happened to have Jaleel McLaughlin. Arguably one of the best running backs we've seen in Division 2 at least since I've been following it for 15 years.
                            Jaleel was great. He was recruited there. So if its about players then thats a recruiting issue not a coaching issue, which was your original statement of never winning big games at LR or NDC. LR will be fine. Jacobs knows what he is doing. He is a good coach.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
                              Say what you will about Jacobs, but recruiting is not the problem. He's consistently brought in high level players (Maye, McGee, Lester) who have been ready to play from day one. Since he's come in 2019 we've had both quality and quantity (massive recruiting classes, most of which stick around the program). If you ask me, the problem has been coaching once they get to campus. While I have no issue with the defense this year, the offensive playcalling is far too vanilla for a program which has the goals that LR has -- that is what has to change going into next year. For the record I still think we win out and squeak into the playoffs, but what will that get us? A road loss in the first or second round? I want to be playing football IN HICKORY deep into November.
                              Dre Lester was a Cronic recruit. But I agree, squeaking into the playoffs is not the LR standard.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X