Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LR vs. St Aug

Unsurprisingly LR football rolled in what felt like a scrimmage against SAU, 45-3. Coach Jacobs clearly wasn’t showing any of his cards and called a very vanilla offensive playbook. The offense mostly was focused on getting new guys used to their roles, notably 88 Songa Yates who looked very speedy. Dwayne McGee did not play, nor was he on the sidelines - I’d love to hear why this was the case, if anybody knows.

Defensively, the Bears hardly gave up a first down and stifled the Falcon’s offense to the point where they were afraid to even throw the ball on third and long.JR Maye looks primed for an all-world season and Zeke Nance put his name up in lights with two first quarter sacks.

I wondered the same thing about McGee. Hopefully he isn’t injured and is back on the field soon. I thought the defense looked great, QB position is a little worrisome with several shaky passes if more than about 15 yards it seemed. Hopefully this was a good tune up and they work some of the bugs out offensively.
    Last edited by LRBearsfan; 09-03-2023, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I was told at halftime by a Bear Player Parent that it was a discipline problem. Did not know what the problem was for McGee but it was a one game suspension.

As to the game, how can you not be happy about winning 45 to 7? Except it could have been, should have been a lot more.
      The Defense played lights out and yes, Maye should be on his way to All American honors.

But the best I can say about the QB position is: it is "serviceable only" against a very weak opponent. #17 Jalen Ferguson did not see a second of play and he was CLEARLY the best QB in the spring game. Maybe there is a reason but given the history of coaching decisions on the offensive side, I am not given Jacob the benefit, yet.

And perhaps I am just spoiled not only in seeing Cronic and Houston game plans and team execution but also comparing how Jacobs and Crew operate vs my hometown high school coaching staff (and yes adjusting for high school to college), the comparison is just plain and simply not in Jacobs favor. Not even close.

This is his fourth year and with the transfer portal as it is, their simply is no excuse for not having a QB with the talent and stature to led this team on the field of battle. Jacobs has been given every tool in the world to get the QB and Running backs for LR to compete with anyone. He has not gotten them on campus as of yet.

Yes LR will win 7 to 8 games this year. And I recognize most D2 schools and their fan basis would be happy with that. But "we" will not be able to compete with the upper 10 to 15 Best Teams in the country. And that was what we were promised when he was introduced as the new coach.
      Last edited by BearFan1; 09-03-2023, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I figured McGee was being suspended since when they ran through the offensive starters he was shown on the big screen but they named another RB. Probably missed curfew. As for the QB, he was not very accurate on the longer pass attempts which is worrisome but I was glad to see him running a little more then last year.

We shall see how this all plays out.

Comment

It’s odd though that he wasn’t even on the sidelines. You’d think a suspended player would at least be told to watch the game and support your teammates. Maybe I just didn’t see him, but I looked quite a long time and saw no Deewee.

Comment

Just rewatched the game and have a few thoughts.

It’s unfair to judge Sean White’s game by the box score alone. Most of the LR drives started in SAU territory and he frankly didn’t have much space to pass the ball into. It was a run first, low-reception type of game. He even showed good athleticism running the ball.

I’m excited about the idea of Khamoni Robinson. He clearly had some jitters early on with the int, but his ability to run the ball will give the LR offense some much needed dynamism when he’s called upon.

DeAree Rodgers and Songa Yates were really impressive as small, quick WRs. Rodgers especially was a natural as a punt returner and could easily become the next big thing back there.

The running game was fine, but missed the explosiveness of Dwayne McGee. Fingers crossed we look more like the 2021 running game when he returns and not the 2022 running game.

We got a ton of pressure with just a 4 man rush. SAU was not good at all offensively, but we had so much personnel playing in the secondary, there was no chance they could pass on us.

We’ll learn so much more about this team next week.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X