Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma State Government wants all D2 Schools in same Conference

https://www.mcalesternews.com/news/l...1b70d597e.html

Not sure about this. Money must be getting tight in Oklahoma. I have heard about this Oklahoma only d2 conference before but I didn't think politicians were going to actually force the issue.

Comment

Comment

How many D2 Football programs are in Oklahoma?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          How many D2 Football programs are in Oklahoma?

Comment

There are only 8 current D2 football programs in Oklahoma right now. I don't think it would be athletic suicide if they decided to form their own conference. It would open up non-conference games again in football at least. I know the LSC would love it, because they are hurting for non-con games every year.

As for recruiting, it's probably not going to affect most of the Oklahoma schools at all. Every year I was at SWOSU, we only recruited Oklahoma and Texas, and it was roughly 50/50, with some JUCO guys mixed in, and we never played any schools in Texas lol. I know the Arkansas schools have a pretty sweet setup with this conference, and I actually enjoy the setup as well, but it could be for the best for the OK schools. The non-football sports would save a ton of money.

Idk, we'll have to see all the pros and cons, but I personally would love the idea of playing all the OK schools in conference, and having 3 non-con games every year in football. They have been talking about this for years though, so I doubt we actually see anything come of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogLB View Post
              There are only 8 current D2 football programs in Oklahoma right now. I don't think it would be athletic suicide if they decided to form their own conference. It would open up non-conference games again in football at least. I know the LSC would love it, because they are hurting for non-con games every year.

As for recruiting, it's probably not going to affect most of the Oklahoma schools at all. Every year I was at SWOSU, we only recruited Oklahoma and Texas, and it was roughly 50/50, with some JUCO guys mixed in, and we never played any schools in Texas lol. I know the Arkansas schools have a pretty sweet setup with this conference, and I actually enjoy the setup as well, but it could be for the best for the OK schools. The non-football sports would save a ton of money.

Idk, we'll have to see all the pros and cons, but I personally would love the idea of playing all the OK schools in conference, and having 3 non-con games every year in football. They have been talking about this for years though, so I doubt we actually see anything come of it.
              They have for sure. This was the first time I have seen it actually being forcefully pushed. I can guarantee you if it saves the state a nickel they will be all over it.

Comment

Brandon talked about this last night on the D2football show online.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

They have for sure. This was the first time I have seen it actually being forcefully pushed. I can guarantee you if it saves the state a nickel they will be all over it.
                  Classic political move. They could save the tax payers real money with actual cuts to wasteful spending, budget reductions, eliminate fluff etc but, no, let's worry about D2 athletic travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                    https://www.mcalesternews.com/news/l...1b70d597e.html

Not sure about this. Money must be getting tight in Oklahoma. I have heard about this Oklahoma only d2 conference before but I didn't think politicians were going to actually force the issue.
                    There have been movements to get all the Oklahoma D2 programs in a single conference for god knows how long... It might happen eventually, but it's a lot easier said than done.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The LSC schools are probably even more desperate now that TAMU-Commerce is moving up to the D1/FCS Southland Conference as early as next year. By my count, that leaves the LSC with seven football schools and if or or both the two New Mexico schools ever think about bailing for the RMAC or some other option (highly doubtful, since they don't exactly have a landing spot), then the LSC is in serious trouble from a football standpoint.

About the only upside to this is that you're potentially looking at the MIAA losing two schools, thus ending their silo scheduling scheme.

Comment

This sounds like pressure from OKC to get UCO and Northeastern State to leave the MIAA either for a new Oklahoma-only conference or the existing GAC.

This shouldn't affect Oklahoma Christian (LSC) as they're a private school, but it'll definitely put some pressure on the other two state-owned D2 schools which don't sponsor football - Cameron (LSC) and Rogers State (MIAA), both of which are governed by the OU Board of Regents - to join such a conference.

Comment

Comment

If the OK politicians make it that way, then yes, NSU and UCO would have to leave the MIAA. But I keep hearing whispers that UCO is very close to making the jump to the FCS. Who knows what they will actually decide to do.

Comment

If the OK politicians make it that way, then yes, NSU and UCO would have to leave the MIAA. But I keep hearing whispers that UCO is very close to making the jump to the FCS. Who knows what they will actually decide to do.
                              UCO can't go D1 without adding a men's sport first. D1 requires 14 total sports with at least 6 for men. Are there any signs that the Bronchos are about to add a men's sport?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X