Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LukeMcConnell1 View Post

I'd say it's even less about playing the same, but just the understanding of how the season is going to go just because of the statuses of the programs. We know Ouachita and Harding will be at the top with Henderson close behind. We know there could be a challenger or two that is good enough to push them, but maybe not beat them. And sorry, but the shuffling in slots 4-12 just isn't that exciting if none of those has a realistic shot to win the league.

If more of the programs were, say, the caliber of SAU or even Henderson and none were at the level of Harding, it'd be a completely different feel. But it's a pretty clear caste system in the GAC. Some have made strides to get out of the basement and some have sunk a level or so, but still. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like it'll change any time soon.
    Yep your right. Hopefully Henderson can stay competitive. SAU is growing by leaps and bounds, and will continue to grow I believe with more resources for their Football/Other Teams. ATU has to figure out their situation. Probably have more money in athletics outside of possibly Harding in D2 Arkansas level. They just haven't been able to get the right players/coaches to put out the product on the field. Their facitlies are some of the best though.

Worried Henderson is on the decline or has topped out in reguards to budgets/performance. With being acquired within the ASU system, I can't think HSU Athletics will be as of high prority vs being an independent school. Maybe there is more to it. I still think they could fall a little bit in Football and still be in the top half of the conference. They always seem to stay competive in Football. I mean only 3 losing seaons since Scott Maxfield took over in 2005? Suprised someone at the FCS ranks haven't plucked him. Even like UCA. I know he was in running for the UAPB job several years back, but we all know why that didn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post

To be honest, I am starting to get tired of the same GAC football season year after year. WE NEED NON CONFERENCE GAMES. We need a little bit of variety. I'm not really excited to play the same teams year in and year out. Harding and OBU are currently head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to football. No doubt and no anger towards them. I would also like to see the conference grow to have a GAC Championship at the end of each year as well.
      Agreed. The silo scheduling has to come to an end. Until that happens, we'll be seeing the same old same old every season. Don't get me wrong, I love a conference championship year after year as much as the next guy would, but for the GAC to advance in the d2 football world, something needs to change.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeMcConnell1 View Post

I'd say it's even less about playing the same, but just the understanding of how the season is going to go just because of the statuses of the programs. We know Ouachita and Harding will be at the top with Henderson close behind. We know there could be a challenger or two that is good enough to push them, but maybe not beat them. And sorry, but the shuffling in slots 4-12 just isn't that exciting if none of those has a realistic shot to win the league.

If more of the programs were, say, the caliber of SAU or even Henderson and none were at the level of Harding, it'd be a completely different feel. But it's a pretty clear caste system in the GAC. Some have made strides to get out of the basement and some have sunk a level or so, but still. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like it'll change any time soon.
        Though I largely agree, and also want some non conference games, you did have Henderson picked ahead of Harding before season and before the game last Saturday.

Comment

I hate the SILO scheduling too. Last year's playoff game where the Tigers got shellacked by NW Missouri State was the last straw for me. That same exact roster could've made the game competitive or even maybe taken a W if they had faced some tougher competition in the regular season. And I don't mean that to disrespect the GAC teams at all, but sometimes adversity by facing the unknown makes you better than just facing the same teams year-in-year-out.

Comment

Originally posted by walnut100 View Post
            I hate the SILO scheduling too. Last year's playoff game where the Tigers got shellacked by NW Missouri State was the last straw for me. That same exact roster could've made the game competitive or even maybe taken a W if they had faced some tougher competition in the regular season. And I don't mean that to disrespect the GAC teams at all, but sometimes adversity by facing the unknown makes you better than just facing the same teams year-in-year-out.
            NW Missouri plays silo schedule too..

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post

NW Missouri plays silo schedule too..
              And they were better than our squad and kicked our butts. And despite playing in a SILO league, their league is generally stronger than ours. Ouachita and Harding would do fine in there on a typical year, I doubt the bottom of the league would have a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by walnut100 View Post
                Let's just say it... It's the Oklahoma teams for the most part for football. Call a spade a spade.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post

Though I largely agree, and also want some non conference games, you did have Henderson picked ahead of Harding before season and before the game last Saturday.
                  You're right, I did. But I think we can all agree that including Henderson with those two A. it's unreasonable and B. doesn't make the situation any more exciting. The gap between Henderson and those two is significantly smaller than the gap between Henderson and whoever we stick at No. 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post

Let's just say it... It's the Oklahoma teams for the most part for football. Call a spade a spade.
                    And the inverse is true for men's basketball, so it all evens out.

Comment

Several good points made in regard to strengthening the GAC football schedule. Luke mentions basketball. I appreciate that. Although I’m a football guy, I need to keep the strength of schedule and competitiveness for all sports in perspective. I’m not intending to start a discussion about other GAC sports here.

For me it’s all about developing strong men and women to be successful parents. Win or loose those who face adversity because of tough competition grow. This can happen for young men on a football team or any where in athletics or beyond athletics.
                      Last edited by OldBison; 10-05-2023, 11:08 AM.

Comment

There have been some great points on this discussion. I have a few to make of my own. I have been an advocate of non conference games for a long time. One of the main reasons that Harding has made the deepest run in the playoffs out of the GAC is their elite defense and their unique offense. With regards to Northwest Missouri, the MIAA is the top league in D2 football. Think of it like the SEC of Division 2. Plus, they are able to recruit on a National level because of their pedigree with the national championships they have won just like Valdosta and other programs like that. Years ago I was able to talk to Will Pruitt about playing a non conference schedule. He told me the top teams in the MIAA in particular, didn't want to do home and home games. Until something changes at the top level of the league and the schools, nothing will change with regards to scheduling. When Ouachita came into the formation of the GAC, they were playing in the GSC and were a middle of the pack team. When they left for the GAC, they were getting the hang of being a GSC team. All this to say our top teams need to be challenged because like it or not Super 3 is the hardest region in D2 football in the playoffs and it's not even close. I mean Ferris State went out and played a FCS school and almost beat them at their place. Grand Valley went out west and played Colorado Mines and Pueblo. Both will be battle tested come playoff time. Plus, when you play a FCS or any D1 school, yes you may loose but it doesn't count on your regional ranking because they only look at D2 opponents. I would love for Ouachita and Harding to go against like UCA or UAPB. Just to see how they would measure up.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X