Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I think most people in the know already respect Harding. However, even if Harding wins, I don't think the other teams in the GAC will gain respect.

The margins of victory for Harding were 33, 39, 40, 11, 64, 62, 31, 34, 55, 41, and 56 in GAC play.

A different GAC team must win playoff games or conference results have to be much, much closer for that to happen.
    I mean, both HSU and OBU beat Harding last year. They’re having a great year, and they’ve certainly had the most postseason success, but it’s not like they never get beaten in our league. The GAC isn’t the MIAA or the GLIAC, but if you put the GAC in any other region of the country there would be a lot more playoff wins (and playoff games) for the league as whole. SR3 is just ridiculous. If the GAC was in SR4 for example, HSU and OBU would both have made the playoffs a bunch more times and won more games IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
      If Harding wins, this would be great for the GAC overall though. Honestly, OBU could have possibly beat The Mules, but even then, the Mules would most likely have won against HSU, OBU, and SAU. I don't blame HSU for the effort they gave.

I WANT HARDING TO WIN SOOO BAD. We need them to win for the GAC to get some respect. It's going to be close for sure. Grand Valley is #3 overall for stopping the run so they are much better than Central Missouri in that reguard. I don't have a good feeling though. Harding's time may have come to an end... Best chance they have though is playing at home so we will see. I'm going to guess the score will be something like... Grand Valley 31 Harding 28. Hope it's at least close!

Absolutely zero shot OBU could beat ucm. Absolutely no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post

I mean, both HSU and OBU beat Harding last year. They’re having a great year, and they’ve certainly had the most postseason success, but it’s not like they never get beaten in our league. The GAC isn’t the MIAA or the GLIAC, but if you put the GAC in any other region of the country there would be a lot more playoff wins (and playoff games) for the league as whole. SR3 is just ridiculous. If the GAC was in SR4 for example, HSU and OBU would both have made the playoffs a bunch more times and won more games IMO.
        There is ONE (hint hint) region that the GAC would have more playoff success in and it isn't SR4.

Comment

Is there a sport where the GAC is NOT in the preeminent region in the country? Frankly, a lot of the struggle for the GAC is simply geography and what other conferences it's paired with. Like last year in volleyball, Harding went 30-1 in the regular season, cruised through the GAC, losing nine TOTAL sets and was rewarded with the No. 8 seed in the region and got promptly swept by Wayne State in the first round. That's just brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post

Over time, conference opponents will find ways to beat the premier team in a conference because of the familiarity and the number of chances HU has 11 others gunning for them. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard a conference opponent of a national champion say "We were within X points of being a national champion" simply because of their result earlier in the year. It's seldom close to reflecting the reality of their strengths and capabilities.

Sure, Harding lost two games last year and didn't make the playoffs. The team that did, OBU, got its teeth kicked in by the second place team from another conference. Harding already won a playoff game this year and has won several in the past and been a tough out most of the time. That's the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeMcConnell1 View Post
              Is there a sport where the GAC is NOT in the preeminent region in the country?
              Baseball/softball/tennis? I don't know. I'm spitballing.

Comment

It’s interesting reading Brandon and Luke’s comments on the strengthening of the GAC. Like many conferences in D2 the GAC football will always strength at the top and weakness at the bottom. From watching the MIAA and GLIAC the key is strengthening the middle. Using teams in the middle of the GAC as comparisons, it’s important that teams like Southern Nazarene, SEOSU, OKBaptist and ATU get to be as competitive as MoWest, Emporia State, Davenport and SVSU. They may already be but without OC scheduling we’ll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post

Absolutely zero shot OBU could beat ucm. Absolutely no chance.
                  I agree, not this year. Especially by the end of the year, Harms woulda had to miss any of the playoff games. Even with Harms 100% I don’t think it woulda mattered. Ouachita played quick for them this year, woulda played right into UCM’s hands.
                  Last edited by OBUGrad; 11-28-2023, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Over time, conference opponents will find ways to beat the premier team in a conference
                    You make it seem like Ouachita is just now figuring out how to beat them. They are 7-6 against Harding since 2010 and have won 3 out of 5.

Yeah Ouachita hasn’t shown up in playoffs. Some of that is on them, some of it’s on matchups, but let’s not act like they are always chasing Harding. Premier team this year, for sure. Not every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

There is ONE (hint hint) region that the GAC would have more playoff success in and it isn't SR4.
                      That’s fair. I like the sneaky diss(:

Comment

Baseball/softball/tennis? I don't know. I'm spitballing.
                        LukeMcConnell1 would know the most without devoting a lot of time into what sports the GAC is best at but I’m pretty darn sure the GAC has national championship contenders every year in almost every sport. I remember sitting in chapel and listening to how good everyone did the week prior (they do shout outs before the prayer during daily chapel). I think men’s soccer might be the only sport that GAC teams don’t compete nationally in- still Could be wrong on that.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftSider View Post

LukeMcConnell1 would know the most without devoting a lot of time into what sports the GAC is best at but I’m pretty darn sure the GAC has national championship contenders every year in almost every sport. I remember sitting in chapel and listening to how good everyone did the week prior (they do shout outs before the prayer during daily chapel). I think men’s soccer might be the only sport that GAC teams don’t compete nationally in- still Could be wrong on that.
                          Men’s soccer is the odd one. It’s in a shared conference with MIAA I think. That and wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by OBUGrad View Post

You make it seem like Ouachita is just now figuring out how to beat them. They are 7-6 against Harding since 2010 and have won 3 out of 5.
                            Huh? I didn't realize that the GAC had only two teams.

Comment

I think most people in the know already respect Harding. However, even if Harding wins, I don't think the other teams in the GAC will gain respect.

The margins of victory for Harding were 33, 39, 40, 11, 64, 62, 31, 34, 55, 41, and 56 in GAC play.

A different GAC team must win playoff games or conference results have to be much, much closer for that to happen.
                              Harding gets more respect than they deserve. They're a gimmick team that gets a lot of breaks and are pretty consistently #2 in the GAC behind Ouachita. We haven't exactly lit it up in the post-season but I attribute a lot of that to bad playoff draws and being a more conventional run based offense.

I will eat my shoe if Harding makes a deep run this year. Lakers are gonna beat them soundly at home.

Comment

Originally posted by walnut100 View Post
                                Harding gets more respect than they deserve. They're a gimmick team that gets a lot of breaks and are pretty consistently #2 in the GAC behind Ouachita. We haven't exactly lit it up in the post-season but I attribute a lot of that to bad playoff draws and being a more conventional run based offense.

I will eat my shoe if Harding makes a deep run this year. Lakers are gonna beat them soundly at home.
                                Gets a lot of breaks? What in the world does that mean? They’ve played in regional final 3x now counting this one. Won the region once. Sour grapes. Sorry you guys can’t hold up your end of the bargain. Call it a gimmick if you want, but nobody is stopping OBU from running it. Also don’t know if you’re aware, it’s clear you may not be, they also play a significantly better brand of defense than OBU does.

Side note: this playoff run is already deeper than OBU has ever made it. So maybe sit this one out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X