Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GVSU vs MTech - Sept 22, 2018

From what I saw the MTech QB has a nice arm - they will do well with him as he gets older - MTech switching from a running to a passing game

Comment

Good to see.tje GV D get some work against a quality passing game - they need to improve but all looking good

Comment

Wow can't believe it wasn't mentioned here but CONGRATS TO BART WILLIAMS for breaking the GV record for most passing TD's. My favorite part of the record-setter is it was on a beautiful 42 yard post up the middle that hit Dodson in stride. Offense was great tonight again with a good mixture of play calls. Bart and his receivers appear to be gelling more and more each game and Provencher with 3 touchdowns himself tonight. Talk about making the most of your opportunity. Defense gave up a few more points than you'd like but was extremely stout against the run and had a very short field on the last score. Have to give credit to Tech's QB as well for making some great plays, often scrambling to buy extra time on the big passes. Really like the way the team is going right now. Bart gave us a scare tonight after taking that big blindside hit but amazingly only missed one play and ended up with 5 passing tosses. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and the boys take care of business the next few weeks. Oct 13th showdown with Ferris is looming..

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
          Wow can't believe it wasn't mentioned here but CONGRATS TO BART WILLIAMS for breaking the GV record for most passing TD's. My favorite part of the record-setter is it was on a beautiful 42 yard post up the middle that hit Dodson in stride. Offense was great tonight again with a good mixture of play calls. Bart and his receivers appear to be gelling more and more each game and Provencher with 3 touchdowns himself tonight. Talk about making the most of your opportunity. Defense gave up a few more points than you'd like but was extremely stout against the run and had a very short field on the last score. Have to give credit to Tech's QB as well for making some great plays, often scrambling to buy extra time on the big passes. Really like the way the team is going right now. Bart gave us a scare tonight after taking that big blindside hit but amazingly only missed one play and ended up with 5 passing tosses. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and the boys take care of business the next few weeks. Oct 13th showdown with Ferris is looming..
          He finished the game only 13 yards shy of tying the all-time passing yardage record, too. Came in needing 395 to tie and he threw for 382. Might be his best passing performance in his career so far?
          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
            He finished the game only 13 yards shy of tying the all-time passing yardage record, too. Came in needing 395 to tie and he threw for 382. Might be his best passing performance in his career so far?
            where would u rank Bart among gvsu QBs?

Comment

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
              Unless he wins a national championship....down the list with Brad Icek (sp?).

Comment

Somewhere way below Finnerty and Anes, but slightly ahead of Iciek and Parling, I guess. Jeff Fox-territory? But let's keep things in perspective - nobody else is in Anes and Finnerty's stratosphere. That's a big drop-off after those two. But I guess Bart IMO is somewhere between #3 and #5.

I don't understand the "playoffs" thing. Bart has a 4-2 record in the playoffs. Anes won 5 playoff games in his career. Finnerty won 14. Iciek won 6. Parling won 3. We've been to 6 championship games, 2 each by Anes and Finnerty, 1 each by Iciek and Wojciechowski. So if we want to go by playoff success, I'm not sure how you can go after Bart when he's arguably our 3rd-most successful playoff QB at best, 4th-most at worst. People make it sound like we've got a bunch of these QB's who were studs in the playoffs, but in reality it is just that everyone pales in comparison to Finnerty dominating everyone.
                Last edited by KleShreen; 09-23-2018, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Any playoff shortcomings we've had the last few years certainly weren't Bart's fault. Sadly for me I wasn't around for Finnerty and Anes so I can't speak of what it was like to watch them in person, but to me Bart is easily above Parling and neck and neck with Iciek. Hard to separate those two but regardless, you have to give it up to Bart for what he has accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
                    From what I saw the MTech QB has a nice arm - they will do well with him as he gets older - MTech switching from a running to a passing game
                    Not sure this is as much "switching" to a passing game as it is 'defaulting' to one. When the opponents turn the lights off in your running game like DU and GV did, every series is three and out unless you can move through the air. The really bad thing about Tech losing it's running game in the GLIAC is there is no way they can win by passing alone. Tech is located on the Keweenaw Peninsula and weather conditions on game day can vary from blizzard to just the opposite. Running the ball is a necessary part of the attack in that environment. If Global Warming was a sure bet, then yeah, let's opt for a passing focus.

For whatever reason, Tech's absolute failure to gain on the ground in the last two games is frightening.

Comment

Somewhere way below Finnerty and Anes, but slightly ahead of Iciek and Parling, I guess. Jeff Fox-territory? But let's keep things in perspective - nobody else is in Anes and Finnerty's stratosphere. That's a big drop-off after those two. But I guess Bart IMO is somewhere between #3 and #5.

I don't understand the "playoffs" thing. Bart has a 4-2 record in the playoffs. Anes won 5 playoff games in his career. Finnerty won 14. Iciek won 6. Parling won 3. We've been to 6 championship games, 2 each by Anes and Finnerty, 1 each by Iciek and Wojciechowski. So if we want to go by playoff success, I'm not sure how you can go after Bart when he's arguably our 3rd-most successful playoff QB at best, 4th-most at worst. People make it sound like we've got a bunch of these QB's who were studs in the playoffs, but in reality it is just that everyone pales in comparison to Finnerty dominating everyone.
                      Actually Finnerty won 3 and Anes only played in one

Comment

This is a tough one for me. I didn't see Anes play a ton.

It's a great question though. OK, Superman #16 is top... no doubter. I scratch my head with 2/3. Anes had Kircus. Not sure of others... Langston? Anyway, Bart has had multiple receivers. And while that turnstile was going on, Williams is not that mobile of a QB. So that might be a factor. Still, here is the point that pushes Williams up... overall, the competition that Williams played is tougher than what Anes saw. For me that is a factor. Also, the supporting cast of Anes.. at least from our GV experts, were "all that." Now would you put any of GV teams under Williams having better casts than what Anes played with. I do understand, at least what I thought went on, that Anes was pulled a ton due to blowout leads.
                        I suspect playing for 3 and counting years helps the stats too. All in all, for me, it's foggy. BW-2-3... solidly.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                          This is a tough one for me. I didn't see Anes play a ton.

It's a great question though. OK, Superman #16 is top... no doubter. I scratch my head with 2/3. Anes had Kircus. Not sure of others... Langston? Anyway, Bart has had multiple receivers. And while that turnstile was going on, Williams is not that mobile of a QB. So that might be a factor. Still, here is the point that pushes Williams up... overall, the competition that Williams played is tougher than what Anes saw. For me that is a factor. Also, the supporting cast of Anes.. at least from our GV experts, were "all that." Now would you put any of GV teams under Williams having better casts than what Anes played with. I do understand, at least what I thought went on, that Anes was pulled a ton due to blowout leads.
                          I suspect playing for 3 and counting years helps the stats too. All in all, for me, it's foggy. BW-2-3... solidly.
                          had u see n anes play more you would have him #1....he's the best d2 qb I've ever seen

for me it's

anes
                          finnerty
                          fox

most athletic was kwame McKinnon...
                          he was a Randal Cunningham clone

Comment

for me I'd say anes was a much better quarterback than finnerty but finnerty is the best football player gv has had...if that makes any sense

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
                              Actually Finnerty won 3 and Anes only played in one
                              You're right.

Comment

for me I'd say anes was a much better quarterback than finnerty but finnerty is the best football player gv has had...if that makes any sense
                                No, that doesn't make sense. Best player but not best QB? uh, sure.
                                And you want Anes #1. Other than seeing him... watcha got to back that up?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X