Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: The State of Wayne State

I think you said it best MD a few weeks back. Irrelevance is the worst and that is exactly where Wayne is right now. Even coming off a win, it's irrelevant because it was against another bottom dweller. If Wayne wants to be relevant again they have a chance this week, but Wayne would come in as 28 point dogs in Vegas on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEraWarrior View Post
        I think you said it best MD a few weeks back. Irrelevance is the worst and that is exactly where Wayne is right now. Even coming off a win, it's irrelevant because it was against another bottom dweller. If Wayne wants to be relevant again they have a chance this week, but Wayne would come in as 28 point dogs in Vegas on this one.
        I've been away from this MB for some time now and I've read the comments made re: the "State of WSU's football program" and I have to say everyone's comments have merit IMO.

I'm a longtime fan of WSU football going back to 2008. My son was an integral part of the 2011 team that played for the National Championship. I follow the program as much as I can while listening to most of the games on the radio or on Comcast's TV of the home games.

I talk to my son from time - time about WSU's football program. It still means a lot to him as well as to me as it truly was a "life changing" experience especially the stories PO run in 2011.
        His feelings match many of the comments that were made in this thread: Lack of recruiting, changing is coaching staff, etc. etc.

I do believe that there's no question that recruiting ( lack thereof) of top prospects is a huge factor in the decline of the program. I also believe that the changing of the various coaches has had an affect on the product on the field. I think Coach Harker ( strength) DC , LB coach, etc. were vitally important to the success of the 2010, 2011 teams.

As a HS football junkie in the Oakland County area, I don't see or hear much penetration of the WSU recruiting efforts locally. The WSU team roster back in 2008-20111 were dotted with players from De LaSalle, Brother Rice, Rochester Adams, and other quality programs in the OAA.

Comment

Originally posted by coachDano View Post
          I've been away from this MB for some time now and I've read the comments made re: the "State of WSU's football program" and I have to say everyone's comments have merit IMO.

I'm a longtime fan of WSU football going back to 2008. My son was an integral part of the 2011 team that played for the National Championship. I follow the program as much as I can while listening to most of the games on the radio or on Comcast's TV of the home games.

I talk to my son from time - time about WSU's football program. It still means a lot to him as well as to me as it truly was a "life changing" experience especially the stories PO run in 2011.
          His feelings match many of the comments that were made in this thread: Lack of recruiting, changing is coaching staff, etc. etc.

I do believe that there's no question that recruiting ( lack thereof) of top prospects is a huge factor in the decline of the program. I also believe that the changing of the various coaches has had an affect on the product on the field. I think Coach Harker ( strength) DC , LB coach, etc. were vitally important to the success of the 2010, 2011 teams.

As a HS football junkie in the Oakland County area, I don't see or hear much penetration of the WSU recruiting efforts locally. The WSU team roster back in 2008-20111 were dotted with players from De LaSalle, Brother Rice, Rochester Adams, and other quality programs in the OAA.
          Good to hear from you Coach. Sure miss those days. Agree with you that Harker was a big part of our success in those years. Don't know enough about Merndozza to know if he is part of the problem or part of the solution. The team is actually recruiting quite well in Oakland County as there are more rostered athletes from Oakland now than there were in 2011. Whether these athletes are of the same caliber is another question. Hope you and your son are doing well and Im still waiting for another Eddie Skowneski or AJ Vaughn so that we will kick Grand Valley and Ferris to the sidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by sandman View Post
            Good to hear from you Coach. Sure miss those days. Agree with you that Harker was a big part of our success in those years. Don't know enough about Merndozza to know if he is part of the problem or part of the solution. The team is actually recruiting quite well in Oakland County as there are more rostered athletes from Oakland now than there were in 2011. Whether these athletes are of the same caliber is another question. Hope you and your son are doing well and Im still waiting for another Eddie Skowneski or AJ Vaughn so that we will kick Grand Valley and Ferris to the sidelines.
            Uh, may as well kick em while they're down. But I admit that I don't recall that last time Wayne kicked GV to the sideline.:confused: Maybe almost 30 years? I know it didn't happen with Winters at the helm.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
              Uh, may as well kick em while they're down. But I admit that I don't recall that last time Wayne kicked GV to the sideline.:confused: Maybe almost 30 years? I know it didn't happen with Winters at the helm.
              With the two quarterbacks I mentioned before, we ruled instate competition even beating Eastern Michigan in 1967. Both Vaughn and Skowneski had pro tryouts. We beat Grand Valley and Ferris during the Skowneski era and I have been waiting ever since to have a quarterback lead this team. You are probably too young to remember.

Comment

With the two quarterbacks I mentioned before, we ruled instate competition even beating Eastern Michigan in 1967. Both Vaughn and Skowneski had pro tryouts. We beat Grand Valley and Ferris during the Skowneski era and I have been waiting ever since to have a quarterback lead this team. You are probably too young to remember.
                Maybe not too young. I didn't follow Wayne at all back then. Was GV even playing football? (started in 1970.)

Comment

Maybe not too young. I didn't follow Wayne at all back then. Was GV even playing football? (started in 1970.)
                  Skowneski played in 72,73,74,75. Watched the Tarters beat Grand Valley in 75.

Comment

Now there's some history!:good:

Comment

Comment

I remember Skowneski well. He was the best QB I ever saw play at Wayne State. Not only a great QB but a leader and winner who could elevate the play of the rest of the team.

I suspect A.J. Vaughn had the same qualities but I never saw him play, he was a little before my time. He was more of a pure passer than Skowneski was as I understand.

Comment

we came back and beat you in 76, I was there...

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
                            we came back and beat you in 76, I was there...
                            You beat us in 77 and 78 also. All 3 games decided the GLIAC championship. I saw the game in 77, it was a real defensive struggle, I think the final score was 6-3.

Those were some of the good ol' days for the Tartars. They had solid teams and could actually compete toe-to-toe with Grand Valley.
                            Last edited by WayneStatesman; 10-27-2018, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post
                              You beat us in 77 and 78 also. All 3 games decided the GLIAC championship. I saw the game in 77, it was a real defensive struggle, I think the final score was 6-3.

Those were some of the good 'ole days for the Tartars. They had solid teams and could actually compete toe-to-toe with Grand Valley.
                              yes, the tarters were always a hard hitting team - I was disappointed when we lost in 75 - that was not a good ride back to the valley - we shouldn't have lost that game

Comment

Oh no not even close. Someone asked about this in the general discussion board. There's some match-ups where the same team has won 40+ straight times.
                                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X