Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stealth
    replied
    I think a lot of private college benefited from PPP Loans/forgiveness. HBCUs also got a good deal of funding from the Trump administration that kept many a float (Edward Waters & Allen using that money to joint D2). Also, many private colleges stayed open and in person, NAIA even hosted all championships (except swimming), which has boasted interest and enrollment this year for many. Obviously this was dependent on state.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Yeah, the one thing that we should factor in here is just how many of those private schools going to stay open in the next 3-4 years as they collectively recover from Covid-19? If I had a kid who wasn't on a team just going to colllege, having them stay home and do their freshman classes online through a CC would be a pretty attractive idea. There's still going to be a lot of budget issues to get worked out here in the next couple of years, One or two of those private GMAC schools shutting down because they can't get kids on campus or didn't have a good online class system last year could happen.
    I am really surprised there were not more defunct schools as result of COVID. The main one I heard of was Urbana in Ohio, which I had always pegged as an eventual GMAC member as well. That adds to my confusion about the Northwood move, with budgets getting tighter than they ever have been across all of NCAA/NAIA, why sign up to raise your travel costs significantly and assumedly pay entrance and exit fees to move to the GMAC?

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Concordia-Portland (GNAC, non-football) closed their campus within the past year, if I'm not mistaken. Concordia-New York (CACC, non-football) will cease operations at the end of the fall 2021 semester. I don't see any Concordia campus making any move into D2.
    Yeah, the one thing that we should factor in here is just how many of those private schools going to stay open in the next 3-4 years as they collectively recover from Covid-19? If I had a kid who wasn't on a team just going to colllege, having them stay home and do their freshman classes online through a CC would be a pretty attractive idea. There's still going to be a lot of budget issues to get worked out here in the next couple of years, One or two of those private GMAC schools shutting down because they can't get kids on campus or didn't have a good online class system last year could happen.

Leave a comment:

• RetiredAU
    replied
    Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

lol. "The GLIAC is having too much success because of GV, they deserve to be destroyed" is quite the take.

What a defeatist attitude. "We can't beat this one school, they're too good, so we gotta go beat up on these other schools so they can think WE are the Grand Valley of the conference instead" lololol
    Now you just wait there one second. unc4life had to be talking about other sports because we all know AU is 4-2 against GVSU in the last 10 years ;)

Leave a comment:

• stealth
    replied
    I just find it very interesting that a league that was formed as an NAIA conference in NCAA clothing and a soft landing spot for Ohio and Indiana NAIA members, has very few of OH NAIA converts, but has proven to destabilize long standing D2 conferences. Certainly says something about the widening disparity among D2 members (and really all NCAA members).

But from an outsider, I think this speaks volumes about GLIAC leadership.

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied

Indiana, Ball State, Notre Dame, Purdue in FBS. Indiana State in FCS. UIndy in D2 all are scholarship programs.
    I do not think there is the same rule, but I doubt that the overall Purdue system will allow it. Overall, they have been consolidating and cutting a lot of the Purdue campuses outside of the flagship campus due to their focus on moving students to the new Purdue online degree system.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

As Kle pointed out, Wisconsin-Parkside wouldn't be able to sponsor D2 football because of the agreement that only Madison gets to sponsor scholarship-level football. Is Purdue-NW (and, for that matter, Purdue-Fort Wayne) bound by similar restrictions that essentially limits D1/D2 level football at West Lafayette?
    Indiana, Ball State, Notre Dame, Purdue in FBS. Indiana State in FCS. UIndy in D2 all are scholarship programs.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by stealth View Post
    Honestly, I think the GLIAC's best opportunity is PNW, and lessor so UWP. PNW is pushing to be respectable as a residential campus and shed that commuter campus tag. Football would do a lot to push that narrative. Also, to respectable FB in Northwest Indiana (besides ND). Valpo is a joke. Saint Joe suspend their campus. There is opportunity.

Parkside, is close to Chicago, not sure why they wouldn't add football, being DII would be a definite recruiting advantage in WI, but there must be a reason after all these years of opportunity.
    As Kle pointed out, Wisconsin-Parkside wouldn't be able to sponsor D2 football because of the agreement that only Madison gets to sponsor scholarship-level football. Is Purdue-NW (and, for that matter, Purdue-Fort Wayne) bound by similar restrictions that essentially limits D1/D2 level football at West Lafayette?

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Also, if they play D2 football they will not be allowed to offer scholarships, correct?
    Correct. Like someone else said, they could find creative ways to make it cheap for football players to attend if they want, just like the powerhouse D3 schools do, but I would think it would be quite tough to do at the D2 level.

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied

I feel like if that was going to happen, it would have been announced by now. Two years is pretty much the deadline for building up a program before starting.
    Also, if they play D2 football they will not be allowed to offer scholarships, correct?

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post
    Parkside will start football, most likely in 2023
    I feel like if that was going to happen, it would have been announced by now. Two years is pretty much the deadline for building up a program before starting.

Leave a comment:

• 4nick8
    replied
    Parkside will start football, most likely in 2023

Leave a comment:

• Uindy18
    replied
    Maybe the GLIAC should give Finlandia a shot just to appease MTU and NMU lol.
    That would be something, but I doubt a D3 bottom feeder will even be considered for GLIAC expansion

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Maybe the GLIAC should give Finlandia a shot just to appease MTU and NMU lol.

Leave a comment:

• champgymusa
    replied

No other school in Wisconsin besides UW is allowed to have scholarship football. Part of the agreement of the UW system.
    I am not disagreeing with you but boy they sure find some interesting finance packages....LOL...Kinda like the MIAA here in Michigan...

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X