Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played at WSU from 14-18. Wooster recruited me and was the reason I chose Wayne State over various other programs. He was the heart and soul of the program. By far the most respected coach on the staff, we always would talk about how things would be much different if he was the head coach and not Winters. From an offensive stand point in the spring time he would call the plays and you could see the potential we had as a unit with a competent play caller. If he were to be the hire it would be GREAT all around from X's and O's to his connection to the alumni network and the metro Detroit area.

Many are always surprised when I say that the talent gap between Wayne state, Ferris, and GV is actually a wash. During my stent at Wayne State we were LOADED with talent. The problem was we had a head man who did not know what to do with it. Many players were either playing out of position, not being used in ways that allowed them to use their strengths, or flat out not playing at all when they could be helping the team win. The coaching gap between WSU, FSU, and GVSU is entire different story. Winters ego caused him to lack creativity and the ability to adjust his scheme to the talent he had on his roster. I can remember every time we played both school those schools and each week we would have a very solid game plan but as soon as the ball kicked off winters would turn back to his egotistical ways and call the plays and I quote "could prove he could run the ball". He would shut out his assistant coaches inputs on in game adjustments as well as players input on what we were seeing on the field. He would repeatedly call plays that were not in the game plan all week long. For those 5 seasons it was a repeat each and every time.

I am excited to see what the future holds for our program!

Comment

Originally posted by The Warrior View Post
      I played at WSU from 14-18. Wooster recruited me and was the reason I chose Wayne State over various other programs. He was the heart and soul of the program. By far the most respected coach on the staff, we always would talk about how things would be much different if he was the head coach and not Winters. From an offensive stand point in the spring time he would call the plays and you could see the potential we had as a unit with a competent play caller. If he were to be the hire it would be GREAT all around from X's and O's to his connection to the alumni network and the metro Detroit area.

Many are always surprised when I say that the talent gap between Wayne state, Ferris, and GV is actually a wash. During my stent at Wayne State we were LOADED with talent. The problem was we had a head man who did not know what to do with it. Many players were either playing out of position, not being used in ways that allowed them to use their strengths, or flat out not playing at all when they could be helping the team win. The coaching gap between WSU, FSU, and GVSU is entire different story. Winters ego caused him to lack creativity and the ability to adjust his scheme to the talent he had on his roster. I can remember every time we played both school those schools and each week we would have a very solid game plan but as soon as the ball kicked off winters would turn back to his egotistical ways and call the plays and I quote "could prove he could run the ball". He would shut out his assistant coaches inputs on in game adjustments as well as players input on what we were seeing on the field. He would repeatedly call plays that were not in the game plan all week long. For those 5 seasons it was a repeat each and every time.

I am excited to see what the future holds for our program!
      Interesting take. Hard to argue with someone living it first hand.

In my years of being around the league, I'll echo that the consensus among "those in the know" (which loosely translates to anyone who would have/be in a role that would require watching tape) is that the talent gap between Wayne and FSU/GV isn't large enough to warrant the disparity seen in terms of victories.

Will be interesting to see what the direction for things might be moving forward...

Comment

Apparently Wooster paid a visit to Denby HS yesterday. Pure speculation on my part, but WSU is just a 15 minute drive away on I-94 and is directly on the way back; one would think he had to have at least popped his head in the door...

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
          Apparently Wooster paid a visit to Denby HS yesterday. Pure speculation on my part, but WSU is just a 15 minute drive away on I-94 and is directly on the way back; one would think he had to have at least popped his head in the door...
          Yeah, I noticed that too. Selfishly, I hope it was a recruiting visit for GV.

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
            Hopefully it was more than just popping in…

Imagine a WSU coach actually recruiting the city of Detroit..one can dream

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorSupporter View Post

Hopefully it was more than just popping in…

Imagine a WSU coach actually recruiting the city of Detroit..one can dream
              Don't forget your AD has GV roots. That might be a factor in Wooster being recruited for the HC position.

Comment

Wooster recruits the Detroit for GVSU, no surprise there...and WSU has not even hired a new AD yet..interim at this point. I think Erica would be a no brainer to hire but will they? The coaching job will be filled as WSU has hired a national search firm and formed a committee at the school also. I would think late January would be your best bet for timing of the hire. Looks like the team has rallied around someone and I have to think that they would at least get a listen. A few coaches with HC experience have also thrown their hat into the ring, a few from the GLIAC which is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                  Wooster recruits the Detroit for GVSU, no surprise there...and WSU has not even hired a new AD yet..interim at this point. I think Erica would be a no brainer to hire but will they? The coaching job will be filled as WSU has hired a national search firm and formed a committee at the school also. I would think late January would be your best bet for timing of the hire. Looks like the team has rallied around someone and I have to think that they would at least get a listen. A few coaches with HC experience have also thrown their hat into the ring, a few from the GLIAC which is interesting.
                  I would think they'd want to hire a head coach as soon as possible since signing day is February 1st. I feel like waiting until late January would be much too late to salvage a class.
                  2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
                    A few coaches with HC experience have also thrown their hat into the ring, a few from the GLIAC which is interesting.
                    Is Tony Annese one of them(I hope)?

Comment

I heard Tony A. is taking my job...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McElwain View Post
                        I heard Tony A. is taking my job...
                        lol that would be funny. Would have to get back to snuggling up to sharks, Jim!

Sure would be interesting to see what would happen if any D1 school actually wanted Tony A. But it is quite clear nobody is going to risk it for him.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

lol that would be funny. Would have to get back to snuggling up to sharks, Jim!

Sure would be interesting to see what would happen if any D1 school actually wanted Tony A. But it is quite clear nobody is going to risk it for him.
                          So a 2 time Natty winner isn't sought after. THAT speaks volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

So a 2 time Natty winner isn't sought after. THAT speaks volumes.
                            There's been D2 coaches who have gotten D1 jobs without even winning a title and winning many less games than TA has. There's a reason he's at Ferris at 61 years old and doesn't even come up in conversations for D1 jobs. Whether that's because D1 schools don't want him, or he doesn't wanna go anywhere and is content making low six-figures in Big Rapids. Either way. Pretty sure everyone's stuck with him at Ferris until he decides to retire.

Comment

It might be the whole death penalty deal at GRCC when he left that mess behind or the hitting a player deal that was an issue. ASR at the bottom of D2 may also have something to do with it but maybe he just likes making 20% of what the coach at the MACs schools make...less taxes and all that hassle...he has his family there now and seems happy..good for him!

Comment

Haters gonna hate : ) Man has been in coaching/teaching in West Michigan most of his life. If that's were he wants to keep his roots, so be it. He's sent plenty of assistants off to bigger schools.

If anything, I'm wondering if he's getting burned out playing 14/15 games a year, having to hit the recruiting trail right after and then spring ball shortly after. At least he had a break in 2019.

Only people who care about the stuff you bring up is you. If TA wanted to leave he could. Feels like this has to be said to GV people every year...all because "you're" not aware of him getting offers doesn't me they don't come in.

Anyway stop hijacking the thread. What's the update on the Tartar coaching search? They waiting on a MAC assistant to finish the season or looking for a D2 retread.
                                Last edited by DawgUp; 12-19-2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X