X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post

WHAT...

This is before my time...
    Yup. This trophy did not come from the GLIAC. It was bought prior to the game by someone not the GLIAC, and given for photo opps. The GLIAC did not give out division trophies.

2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
      I miss the good old days of Hillsdale trying to run up the score on GV with about a minute left, having their PAT blocked and returned, and then losing on the ensuing drive.
      Football gods do not mess around. It's still debatable whether it was Otter's desire to score, clock management, or the Hillsdale kids ready to field storm Lubbers that ticked them off so much that they said, "Not so fast my friend" and snatched the victory from the Chargers. All 3 were objectionable offenses.

Comment

I've been seeing that trophy for nearly a decade in the Matthaei and had no clue it wasn't real. In retrospect, it makes sense that the GLIAC never handed out division trophies, but I never questioned it before. Mind = blown.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Don't forget the Nick Strance Brigade.
          This was the best and it didn't go away after he graduated
          National Championships Are Cool!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
            I've been seeing that trophy for nearly a decade in the Matthaei and had no clue it wasn't real. In retrospect, it makes sense that the GLIAC never handed out division trophies, but I never questioned it before. Mind = blown.
            I'm not a "pile-on" guy, but the historian in me remembers this vividly:
            • It is correct that the GLIAC did not award Divisional Trophies
            • GLIAC Trophies typically/never have info about the winning team on them
              • GLIAC Trophies never have the name of winning team on them
              • GLIAC Trophies never have the names of the players of the winning team on them
              • GLIAC Trophies never have the winning team's final record...this one reads 9-2
                • Wayne's GLIAC record that year was 8-2
                • Wayne's overall record that year was 9-2
                • Wayne's non-con win that year was against Northwood (a North Division GLIAC Team that was NOT on their league slate), but that was still an non-conference win
                • A conference award would not make reference to non-conference results
            • On top of there not being a divisional trophy, Wayne's claim to the division that year was shared
              • Hillsdale had the same 8-2 league record
              • Wayne did beat Hillsdale head-to-head, but the GLIAC has traditionally never recognized tiebreakers. Records the same? Shared title.

If memory serves, the league wasn't thrilled with this either...more so because pics were published, I suppose. Long time gone at this point...

Comment

Wayne was really ticked that year that Hillsdale got a playoff bid over them, despite having beaten the Chargers head-to-head with the same record.

Comment

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post
                Wayne was really ticked that year that Hillsdale got a playoff bid over them, despite having beaten the Chargers head-to-head with the same record.
                Can you blame them? They had a trophy and Hillsdale didn't!
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post

I'm not a "pile-on" guy, but the historian in me remembers this vividly:
                  • It is correct that the GLIAC did not award Divisional Trophies
                  • GLIAC Trophies typically/never have info about the winning team on them
                    • GLIAC Trophies never have the name of winning team on them
                    • GLIAC Trophies never have the names of the players of the winning team on them
                    • GLIAC Trophies never have the winning team's final record...this one reads 9-2
                      • Wayne's GLIAC record that year was 8-2
                      • Wayne's overall record that year was 9-2
                      • Wayne's non-con win that year was against Northwood (a North Division GLIAC Team that was NOT on their league slate), but that was still an non-conference win
                      • A conference award would not make reference to non-conference results
                  • On top of there not being a divisional trophy, Wayne's claim to the division that year was shared
                    • Hillsdale had the same 8-2 league record
                    • Wayne did beat Hillsdale head-to-head, but the GLIAC has traditionally never recognized tiebreakers. Records the same? Shared title.

If memory serves, the league wasn't thrilled with this either...more so because pics were published, I suppose. Long time gone at this point...
                  The roster names were the biggest giveaway.

Comment

Nah that is some Mickey Mouse-like behavior from someone at WSU. Piling-on approved.

In my mind's eye, I don't remember the bottom half of the trophy with the roster. Now I'll have to pop into the the Matthaei before Saturday's basketball games.

Comment

Honestly, looking at the 2010 stats, it seems like Michigan Tech should've gotten in over both Hillsdale and Wayne State.

Comment

Not that long ago, Michigan Tech had "GLIAC CHAMPIONS 2004, 2012" at the top of their football page. Never mind that in 2012 they finished in a four-way tie for the North Division at 7-3, three games behind the South winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                          Honestly, looking at the 2010 stats, it seems like Michigan Tech should've gotten in over both Hillsdale and Wayne State.
                          Only playing 10 games really hurt Tech with the elaborate formula the NCAA uses to select teams.

Comment

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post

Only playing 10 games really hurt Tech with the elaborate formula the NCAA uses to select teams.
                            Maybe they looked at things slightly differently in 2010, because under current standards I'm pretty sure MTU's SOS would've been high enough to outweigh the lack of an 11th game.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Maybe they looked at things slightly differently in 2010, because under current standards I'm pretty sure MTU's SOS would've been high enough to outweigh the lack of an 11th game.
                              They did. It was really easy.

W/L and SOS as two different categories weighted equally for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

They did. It was really easy.

W/L and SOS as two different categories weighted equally for the most part.
                                If my data is accurate it was .800 winning percentage and .548 SOS for Michigan Tech, .818 W%/.499 SOS for Hillsdale, and .818/.479 for Wayne State.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X