• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were the head-to-head results?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
      What were the head-to-head results?
      Hillsdale beat MTU, MTU beat Wayne, Wayne beat Hillsdale.

Hillsdale and MTU ended up next to each other in the regional rankings (5/6) and Wayne was 9th behind Mines (who got in by earned access) and Kearney. I kinda understand what the thought process probably was, but still MTU's SOS was significantly higher than anyone else in contention.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Hillsdale beat MTU, MTU beat Wayne, Wayne beat Hillsdale.

Hillsdale and MTU ended up next to each other in the regional rankings (5/6) and Wayne was 9th behind Mines (who got in by earned access) and Kearney. I kinda understand what the thought process probably was, but still MTU's SOS was significantly higher than anyone else in contention.
        I don't think SOS was evaluated the same back then, but even if it was, Hillsdale would have gotten in over MTU because of the H-T-H.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I don't think SOS was evaluated the same back then, but even if it was, Hillsdale would have gotten in over MTU because of the H-T-H.
          SOS carried a lot more weight than W/L in 2007...
          :-( :-( :-(

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Yup. This trophy did not come from the GLIAC. It was bought prior to the game by someone not the GLIAC, and given for photo opps. The GLIAC did not give out division trophies.

That there is a nice looking piece...the legit ones in the GVSU case dont have any names on them, this was a classy upgrade by WSU. Of course its a fraud but still nicely done, you gotta give em that. Maybe they didnt know what a legit one looked like to model it after?

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

That there is a nice looking piece...the legit ones in the GVSU case dont have any names on them, this was a classy upgrade by WSU. Of course its a fraud but still nicely done, you gotta give em that. Maybe they didnt know what a legit one looked like to model it after?
              You gotta give poor ol' Wayne State a little slack. They've had very little success in football in their over 100 year history so can you blame them when they try to enjoy and commemorate what little success they do achieve even if it's a bit over the top? BTW they did win the GLIAC title in '75 so I presume they got a "legitimate" trophy for that.

Comment

Now we're cooking with this thread; the early 2010's was this thread's hayday. If you think the 2010 GLIAC season was good, the 2011 GLIAC season was even better. 4 teams at the top duking it out with records all essentially identical (WSU, Hillsdale, GV, SVSU). Hillsdale technically won the conference with a "conference record" of 8-2 but did not make the playoffs as they finished with identical season records of WSU & GV. WSU beat Hillsdale in 2OT in the regular season. Wayne finished with the same record as Hillsdale in 2010, when they also beat them H2H, but Hillsdale made the playoffs. I think the universe corrected itself in 2011 when Wayne made it in over Hillsdale. This of course upset many, said Wayne was the wrong choice, and then went on an unprecedented run to make the Natty. The Wayne vs. Hillsdale rivalry is an underrated one if you ask me, some absolute classic matchups between the years of 2010-2016. Hope they resume the rivalry at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEraWarrior View Post
                  Now we're cooking with this thread; the early 2010's was this thread's hayday. If you think the 2010 GLIAC season was good, the 2011 GLIAC season was even better. 4 teams at the top duking it out with records all essentially identical (WSU, Hillsdale, GV, SVSU). Hillsdale technically won the conference with a "conference record" of 8-2 but did not make the playoffs as they finished with identical season records of WSU & GV. WSU beat Hillsdale in 2OT in the regular season. Wayne finished with the same record as Hillsdale in 2010, when they also beat them H2H, but Hillsdale made the playoffs. I think the universe corrected itself in 2011 when Wayne made it in over Hillsdale. This of course upset many, said Wayne was the wrong choice, and then went on an unprecedented run to make the Natty. The Wayne vs. Hillsdale rivalry is an underrated one if you ask me, some absolute classic matchups between the years of 2010-2016. Hope they resume the rivalry at some point.
                  Not gonna lie I wish Hillsdale had stayed in the GLIAC...they seemed like a good fit for many reasons..but...maybe someday they will return. GVSU had some great games with the Chargers over the years and we had some great convos on here and in person with the Charger fans.

Comment

Not gonna lie I wish Hillsdale had stayed in the GLIAC...they seemed like a good fit for many reasons..but...maybe someday they will return. GVSU had some great games with the Chargers over the years and we had some great convos on here and in person with the Charger fans.
                    Given some of the recent statements from the administration at Hillsdale, I'm kind of glad they're not in any way affiliated with the GLIAC anymore.
                    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Given some of the recent statements from the administration at Hillsdale, I'm kind of glad they're not in any way affiliated with the GLIAC anymore.
                      I am kinda waiting for GVSU admin to go after Ottawa County for some of their actions...that would be interesting to say the least.

Comment

I am kinda waiting for GVSU admin to go after Ottawa County for some of their actions...that would be interesting to say the least.
                        I'd be surprised if that happened. GVSU kinda seems like its own little enclave within Ottawa County. Plus, all of Ottawa County outside of GVSU seems to hate GVSU lol.

Comment

I wish that administration wasn't affiliated with Hillsdale College anymore. All politics aside, the micromanaging of the athletic department is maddening. The president never liked the bolts on the helmet so now the Chargers wear what looks like the front of a 1983 softball jersey. He also ordered that the royal blue be replaced by navy across all teams. All teams will wear Ripon Athletic (speaking of 1983, they used to be Sandknit) going forward. Of course, Ripon didn't get the football unis done for the season so Hillsdale wore their ugly gray ones because they couldn't wear their royal ones.

Comment

Originally posted by chargerblue View Post

I wish that administration wasn't affiliated with Hillsdale College anymore. All politics aside, the micromanaging of the athletic department is maddening. The president never liked the bolts on the helmet so now the Chargers wear what looks like the front of a 1983 softball jersey. He also ordered that the royal blue be replaced by navy across all teams. All teams will wear Ripon Athletic (speaking of 1983, they used to be Sandknit) going forward. Of course, Ripon didn't get the football unis done for the season so Hillsdale wore their ugly gray ones because they couldn't wear their royal ones.
                            Ripon Athletic? I don't think I've ever heard of that. Do they outfit in any other teams?

Comment

First thing when you Google them is that they're made in the USA. I'm all for it, but it's definitely on-brand for Hillsdale. NGL I do like the new horse logo.

Comment

I wish we had never left as do most of the people I talk to from before the switch. Great rivalries. It sure isn't as meaningful to drive home after a Kentucky Wesleyan game as it is after a GLIAC game. It's better with the old Ohio teams in it now like Ashland but still not the same.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X