Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

Apples and Oranges. We have choices/options...Tech, NMU, and LSSU, not so much.

Tech and NMU are where they are and kinda have to roll with their best option. I'm with Kle...why would we CHOOSE to go to a format where our nearest conference or FCS foe would be five hours away? Why would we CHOOSE to spend craptons more $, get clobbered in all of our other sports, and make it so our fans travel less than they already do? We can CHOOSE to stay where we are and have half of our annual roadies be three hours or less. We can CHOOSE to stay where we are and have weekends like we are now where both golf teams are going to nationals, lacrosse is going to the Final Four, W's & M's T&F will undoubtedly go to nationals for the 20th+ straight year, and softball is rolling to yet another Super Regional. The vast majority of that sails away if we CHOOSE to want to travel like Tech and NMU do.

Can't for the life of me figure out why we would CHOOSE a more expensive option that provides less value to the University and our student-athletes. Just because some of our conference mates currently deal with tougher travel hardly means we should want that for ourselves when we would have make a conscious choice for it to be so.
    Didn't mean to imply that GV should. It's just that other schools travel that much and they do get student athletes to play. That's also one reason why I wonder why so many D2 teams don't want that one or two long road trips a season. Some schools do it for most road games. Even GV... for as much as we do travel, it seems like it's such a huge budget deal to take that trip. Just think the added costs that moving up along with that travel budget.. holy smokes. So play that card to Admin to justify longer road trips to fill in the schedule.. at least until the GLIAC gets some added schools.

The D1 topic is tough. I'm in the camp that it's hard, if not just irrational, to move up. Still the stigma of the D2 level vs the D1 level exists. Most student athletes and parents put so much weight on being able to say D1 vs D2. It's extreme, but real. It's only a label, but dang, it seems to be a big deal to so many.

I do say that done properly, there are tangible benefits to a school in moving up. Enough to justify the added costs? Doubtful. Frankly, I wonder how things would be if many of the D1 confs moved down to D2? We'll not see that though.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
      The OVC just added Western Illinois.
      And practically every school in the league would be basically a UP bus ride or even further away from Allendale, with the only plus is that they wouldn't have to worry about crossing the Mackinaw Bridge in windy and whiteout condition's. Not sure I would want to do that for the volleyball team.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Didn't mean to imply that GV should. It's just that other schools travel that much and they do get student athletes to play. That's also one reason why I wonder why so many D2 teams don't want that one or two long road trips a season. Some schools do it for most road games. Even GV... for as much as we do travel, it seems like it's such a huge budget deal to take that trip. Just think the added costs that moving up along with that travel budget.. holy smokes. So play that card to Admin to justify longer road trips to fill in the schedule.. at least until the GLIAC gets some added schools.

The D1 topic is tough. I'm in the camp that it's hard, if not just irrational, to move up. Still the stigma of the D2 level vs the D1 level exists. Most student athletes and parents put so much weight on being able to say D1 vs D2. It's extreme, but real. It's only a label, but dang, it seems to be a big deal to so many.

I do say that done properly, there are tangible benefits to a school in moving up. Enough to justify the added costs? Doubtful. Frankly, I wonder how things would be if many of the D1 confs moved down to D2? We'll not see that though.
        I know people do the D1 vs D2 thing, but man.....I have a hard time believing that more people know who Southeast Missouri State and Tennessee Tech are than Grand Valley State and Ferris State. Maybe they do, I don't know. But I feel like if I was a parent, I'd rather tell people my child is going to Grand Valley State than Southeast Missouri State lol.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I know people do the D1 vs D2 thing, but man.....I have a hard time believing that more people know who Southeast Missouri State and Tennessee Tech are than Grand Valley State and Ferris State. Maybe they do, I don't know. But I feel like if I was a parent, I'd rather tell people my child is going to Grand Valley State than Southeast Missouri State lol.
          SEMO was bad in D2. They just stayed bad.

Comment

SEMO is also tiny compared to GV.

There are around 9000 students at SEMO, and they have no big ticket grad programs. (Law, Pharmacy, Medical, Architecture, etc...)
            They are basically an average directional teaching and nursing school.

IDK how GV stacks up other than size, but you are really comparing apples to transmissions.

Comment

I would say Missouri State is between GV and SEMO with 20k enrollment, and a large variety of grad programs.

That said, they have a whopping 6 NCAA basketball tourney appearances and 3 football playoff appearances in 40 years of D1.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

What makes you think GVSU would go OVC? Missouri Valley for football and the Horizon for the rest of the sports.
                Agree. As an outsider looking in, I think it needs to be the opposite priority wise. Even though football is the driver, I'd think only Horizon or remain in GLIAC. Football and it's 4/5 road games will find a place, whether it be MVFC/OVC/Independent/Pioneer (in that order). Stay in D2 if no Horizon invite, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Ohio View Post

Agree. As an outsider looking in, I think it needs to be the opposite priority wise. Even though football is the driver, I'd think only Horizon or remain in GLIAC. Football and it's 4/5 road games will find a place, whether it be MVFC/OVC/Independent/Pioneer (in that order). Stay in D2 if no Horizon invite, IMHO.
                  For sure. From a purely geographic standpoint, it makes the most sense. Unfortunately though, Oakland and Detroit Mercy are putting up a road block.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

For sure. From a purely geographic standpoint, it makes the most sense. Unfortunately though, Oakland and Detroit Mercy are putting up a road block.
                    They must be threatened to share 9 in state MBB players between the two schools that are over two hours away and would actually add to ticket sales if they added GVSU

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                      Thought this was pretty interesting. GVSU released an updated master plan, which is a 10-year outlook on what the university wants to do with the school in terms of facilities and whatnot.

Of note to those of us here is the athletics section:

Looks like they plan on building a brand new Natatorium to replace the rather bad one GV already has, and then some renovations within the arena. Also pretty cool is the plan calling for indoor tennis courts, which kind of became needed after Ramblewood shut down their tennis facility, which is where GV hosted most of their matches. The plan also calls for turf and lights at the baseball and softball fields, but even Davenport has that, so it's not *that* significant, but a definite needed improvement.

Of course, the big part is the Lubbers Stadium part. Looks like they plan on renovating the existing seating, and adding what looks like possibly a second tier of seating on the east side?

If even a couple of these things actually happen, would be welcome improvements for the facilities that definitely need them. I don't know how often the master plans that are released actually turn out to be accurate, but it is fun to think about and discuss.
                      I have my opinion about several of these athletic items. First, as a GVSU exercise science graduate (Class of 2022) I don't like the proposed demolition of the central portion of the fieldhouse, which is the location of many of the facilities used by the exercise science program. Unless there is an additional portion of the plan which addresses creating labratory space for this program's needs, the loss of that portion of the building will hurt the exercise science program (possible expansion of recreation center may cover this).

As for the pool. The plan is, per what I have been told to, build a new facility rather than renovate the existing facility. As a former GVSU swimmer, and swimming and diving official, the pools does meet the needs of the GVSU campus community, but is not an adequate facility for hosting meets, thus the reason when GVSU hosts the GLIAC meet it is held at either the Holland Aquatic Center, Jenison High School, or when co-hosting with Davenport, East Kentwood High School.

As for the stadium additions, I don't know if the additions are really that important at this time, as GVSU is not a "growing school." It might be a nice addition, and new stands on the home side would be nice, as would an expansion of the visitor side, but I don't see this as a huge project needing to be completed.

I think the new indoor tennis / turn expansion will actually serve a couple purposes. One is allow GVSU to host NCAA Indoor Track nationals. Currently the facility lacks the NCAA required warm up areas to be used as a venue for the NCAA championships. The additional space may be adequate to allow the facility to be eligible to host the NCAA Indoor meet.

Comment

The football additions will be paid for by football donations for the most part and the addition of the beer garden. The central portion of the field house has more problems than a math book. That thing has leaked for YEARS...needs to be gone...same with the pool. The upkeep is not worth it anymore...nuke it and replace it. Tennis is needed due to clubs closing also. Glad you got your degree...wondering what you are doing with it now...good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post

Okay so it may be a 4 team race lol but those 2 schools are pretty great at football
                          UIndy is 0-2 vs current OVC member Lindenwood.
                          Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                            SEMO is also tiny compared to GV.

There are around 9000 students at SEMO, and they have no big ticket grad programs. (Law, Pharmacy, Medical, Architecture, etc...)
                            They are basically an average directional teaching and nursing school.

IDK how GV stacks up other than size, but you are really comparing apples to transmissions.
                            The recognition is going to be regional also. I honestly can't think of a reason why I would've heard of GVSU had I no interest in non FBS college football. I've heard of them for the same reason I've heard of Northwestern out of Iowa: they both have football national championships and have handed Lindenwood a first round playoff loss. Living in STL I've obviously heard of SEMO.

But being a fan of a team that's gone from NAIA to FCS in about 10 years, I can say there's something to the D1 name recognition. Right or wrong, it's like instant credibility. You no longer have to explain what division 2 is.

I think if GVSU decided to go D1, their ultimate goal shouldn't be the MVFC, it should be the MAC. Adding the D1 weight behind an already well established GV brand could see it blow up. But as an LU fan i wouldn't mind having them in the OVC a cup of coffee.
                            Last edited by bigsig50; 08-12-2023, 03:31 PM.
                            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

Apples and Oranges. We have choices/options...Tech, NMU, and LSSU, not so much.

Tech and NMU are where they are and kinda have to roll with their best option. I'm with Kle...why would we CHOOSE to go to a format where our nearest conference or FCS foe would be five hours away? Why would we CHOOSE to spend craptons more $, get clobbered in all of our other sports, and make it so our fans travel less than they already do? We can CHOOSE to stay where we are and have half of our annual roadies be three hours or less. We can CHOOSE to stay where we are and have weekends like we are now where both golf teams are going to nationals, lacrosse is going to the Final Four, W's & M's T&F will undoubtedly go to nationals for the 20th+ straight year, and softball is rolling to yet another Super Regional. The vast majority of that sails away if we CHOOSE to want to travel like Tech and NMU do.

Can't for the life of me figure out why we would CHOOSE a more expensive option that provides less value to the University and our student-athletes. Just because some of our conference mates currently deal with tougher travel hardly means we should want that for ourselves when we would have make a conscious choice for it to be so.
                              Yep, its pretty much asking to spend another 10 million a year easily on top of what we're already paying for athletics right now, which ain't chicken feed ya now. The local economy is looking ok for now, but still recovering and just need one bad domino set off somewhere else to effect it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                                The football additions will be paid for by football donations for the most part and the addition of the beer garden. The central portion of the field house has more problems than a math book. That thing has leaked for YEARS...needs to be gone...same with the pool. The upkeep is not worth it anymore...nuke it and replace it. Tennis is needed due to clubs closing also. Glad you got your degree...wondering what you are doing with it now...good luck!
                                Right, didn't that used to be where the dome was at for a while until that got scrapped and the fieldhouse was built??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X