Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Portal News

Already some transfer portal news happening on social media.

Niles King has entered the portal and already picked up offers from Charlotte and North Texas:

Jayleen Fitzpatrick has also entered the portal:

Niles King is going to be a huge loss. He's a future NFL draft pick and had the chance to be one of the best defenders GV has ever had.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Well, that sucks!

Comment

There was an interesting discussion on the sports talk radio about the transfer portal turning football into what college baseball has already become. Players who are not highly recruited out of high school or JUCO are going to a lower level school, getting college level game film and then entering the portal looking to move up. While I don't see many guys moving from D2 to a Power 5 school, I think you will see a lot more guys going D2 or D3 up to a Group of 5 level school after showing ability at the D2 level.

I don't know if it is good for the sport, but I completely understand why guys are willing to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
        There was an interesting discussion on the sports talk radio about the transfer portal turning football into what college baseball has already become. Players who are not highly recruited out of high school or JUCO are going to a lower level school, getting college level game film and then entering the portal looking to move up. While I don't see many guys moving from D2 to a Power 5 school, I think you will see a lot more guys going D2 or D3 up to a Group of 5 level school after showing ability at the D2 level.

I don't know if it is good for the sport, but I completely understand why guys are willing to do it.
        It might just be me, but I think it is wild that players who are stars at Division II, playing for teams competing for national titles, take off to go play for a G5 FBS school, where the best team result they can ever hope for is playing in some ancillary bowl game that changes names every three years.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

It might just be me, but I think it is wild that players who are stars at Division II, playing for teams competing for national titles, take off to go play for a G5 FBS school, where the best team result they can ever hope for is playing in some ancillary bowl game that changes names every three years.
          Biggest issue... $$$$$. And I was reminded that it's just not schollie dollars.. Many a time the NIL is pretty big to these guys. May not be as big of a deal to the Junior, but the kid that played one season is looking at that pot of gold.. not the ring.
          Last edited by Redwing; 12-13-2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Biggest issue... $$$$$. And it was reminded that it's just not schollie dollars.. Many a time the NIL is pretty big to these guys. May not be as big of a deal to the Junior, but the kid that played one season is looking at that pot of gold.. not the ring.
            Then GV needs to start investing heavily in to NIL, it sounds like. Haha

Comment

Then GV needs to start investing heavily in to NIL, it sounds like. Haha
              Uh... can you write a check?

Comment

Uh... can you write a check?
                Sorry, GV's education doesn't quite carry enough weight in the real world to afford to write a check back to them.

Comment

Sorry, GV's education doesn't quite carry enough weight in the real world to afford to write a check back to them.
                  Uh, based upon my kids' (and many others') educations, it's not likely Gv's "education."

Comment

Uh, based upon my kids' (and many others') educations, it's not likely Gv's "education."
                    Well everyone here knows I'm a moronic idiot who doesn't know anything.

Comment

Well everyone here knows I'm a moronic idiot who doesn't know anything.
                      Just so you know, the first "Like" you got on that comment was from me : )

Comment

And those G5 schools are recuiting kids from the portal to replace the ones that they probably lost that opted to transfer and try to get a ride at a Power 5 school. Sooner or later a school is going to do it and not even bother with going after HS seniors and just go exclusively to the portal.

Comment

G5/FBS = full scholarship.

Comment

Irony is there are probably hundreds of guys left in the portal who jumped ship and have no where to go. Do you try and go after them knowing they'll leave if they perform, recruit high school and keep being a farm system or go poach D3/NAIA to help fill your roster?

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                              Irony is there are probably hundreds of guys left in the portal who jumped ship and have no where to go. Do you try and go after them knowing they'll leave if they perform, recruit high school and keep being a farm system or go poach D3/NAIA to help fill your roster?
                              The numbers from last year indicated that something like only 52% of players in the transfer portal ended up transferring to another NCAA school. It's a very risky proposition for some of these guys. I wish they would know those numbers before they hop in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X