X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Re: Southwest Baptist leaving MIAA

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
      The Jets mascot for Newman was just to cool for MIAA commish to pass on.

I'm worn out with this Newman thing. We have yet to hear why the MIAA needs Newman, so for now, I'm just going to give up and go with the "cool mascot" Techster theory.

P.S.
      Techster, come to Warrensburg and get your basketball coach.
      Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 06-10-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
        I'm worn out with this Newman thing. We have yet to hear why the MIAA needs Newman, so for now, I'm just going to give up and go with the "cool mascot" Techster theory.

P.S.

Comment

Apples and oranges to a degree, since Western New Mexico sponsors football.

I counted three Heartland Conference titles for Newman: 2011 men's golf, 2012 women's basketball and 2014 men's cross country. So, you'd have a couple fingers left on that hand...

By no means would I ever confuse the Heartland for the LSC or MIAA, but they've improved a little, especially with the addition of Lubbock Christian and their powerhouse women's basketball program (won the national title in 2016; Elite Eight this past season). Other than that, they're basically the third conference in the South Central region behind the LSC and RMAC (in that order).
          Last edited by ctrabs74; 06-11-2018, 09:46 PM.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
            Actually, Pitt State is closer to SBU than Wichita. So only 2 Kansas schools would have shorter trips.
            Wouldn't it still be 3, counting Ft. Hays? I'm thinking the Kansas schools must have been pushing for it, since several of them plays Newman already. Definitely a head scratcher.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
              Wouldn't it still be 3, counting Ft. Hays? I'm thinking the Kansas schools must have been pushing for it, since several of them plays Newman already. Definitely a head scratcher.
              Not to mention it's a shorter trip for UCO as it's a straight shot up I-35 from Edmond to Wichita.

(Mileage to SBU in Bolivar; Mileage to Newman in Wichita; Increase/decrease between travel to Bolivar and Wichita)

Central Missouri: 90/241 (+151)
              Central Oklahoma: 304/149 (-155)
              Emporia State: 210/89 (-122)
              Fort Hays State: 401/190 (-211)

Lincoln: 114/330 (+216)
              Lindenwood: 218/422 (+204)
              Missouri Southern: 96/189 (+93)
              Missouri Western: 192/237 (+45)
              Nebraska-Kearney: 291/462 (-171)
              Northeastern State: 207/248 (+41)
              Northwest Missouri: 234/258 (+24)

Pittsburg State: 90/167 (+77)
              Washburn: 195/140 (-55)

That's shorter trips for five teams (UCO, Emporia, Fort Hays, Kearney and Washburn) and not an overly burdensome additional distance (50 miles or less) for MoWest, NSU and Northwest. On the flip side, UCM, Lincoln and Lindenwood have substantially longer trips to Newman compared to SBU.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post

P.S.
                there's really only one answer & that's the value in another school.....#'s along w/ travel expenses given their location compared to other options.

i had never heard of the school before this thread......hopefully they'll be fully committed to competing.

these aren't good enough reasons for me given where #'s are now but no one's listening to nwms.
                Go Bearcats!
                M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Comment

1. UCM fans do not think that firing Coach K will bring Coach A back to Central Missouri. Coach A is an honorable man who made a commitment to Pitt State after his firing at Mizzou. UCM fans will be happy for Coach A if he wins a national title at Pittsburg State.

2. UCM fans want Coach K gone because we're convinced that he can't cut it: poor coaching skills, can't turn talented individuals into a cohesive unit, trouble winning at home, constantly getting out coached and choking in big games.

3. The Jennie's coach showed great coaching and motivational skills in turning around an average 2016/2017 squad into national champs in 2017/2018. With a lot of players back and having picked up a couple big time recruits, the Jennies should make another deep run in 2018/2019.

4. How much time is enough time for Coach K to prove he's "the man" for Mules basketball? He's had four years and he hasn't shown anything that would indicate that he has the ability to keep the Mules basketball program at a high level. UCM had a ton of coaching interest when Coach K was selected and they will have a ton of quality applicants when he is gone. The sooner he's gone the better.

P.S.
                    Hey Savior Faire, if you're going to use a French phrase as your handle maybe you should study French spelling. It's Savoir, not Savior.

Sorry about the basketball detour, now back to football.....carry on.
                    Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 06-11-2018, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                      Not to mention it's a shorter trip for UCO as it's a straight shot up I-35 from Edmond to Wichita.

(Mileage to SBU in Bolivar; Mileage to Newman in Wichita; Increase/decrease between travel to Bolivar and Wichita)

Central Missouri: 90/241 (+151)
                      Central Oklahoma: 304/149 (-155)
                      Emporia State: 210/89 (-122)
                      Fort Hays State: 401/190 (-211)

Lincoln: 114/330 (+216)
                      Lindenwood: 218/422 (+204)
                      Missouri Southern: 96/189 (+93)
                      Missouri Western: 192/237 (+45)
                      Nebraska-Kearney: 291/462 (-171)
                      Northeastern State: 207/248 (+41)
                      Northwest Missouri: 234/258 (+24)

Pittsburg State: 90/167 (+77)
                      Washburn: 195/140 (-55)

That's shorter trips for five teams (UCO, Emporia, Fort Hays, Kearney and Washburn) and not an overly burdensome additional distance (50 miles or less) for MoWest, NSU and Northwest. On the flip side, UCM, Lincoln and Lindenwood have substantially longer trips to Newman compared to SBU.
                      So it basically is a grand total of around 130 miles difference for the whole league (260 round trip) for a one off. But how could this impact traveling partners for many sports, could this distance issue be extended or negated? I don't see a natural fit as only two schools are within 100 miles, although as mentioned it for UCO it is a couple hour drive up I-35 to Wichita. I've noticed that typically UCO basketball played successive games against geographically tied opponents.

ex. Basketball
                      11/30-12/2 at MW,and NW
                      1/20-27 Home vs Pitt, MoSo, NSU
                      2/1-3 at UCM, and SBU
                      2/8-10 Home vs UNK, FH (visited both the next week)
                      2/22-4 Home vs WU & ESU

ex. Women's Soccer
                      9/28-30 at FH, UNK
                      10/5-7 Home vs UCM, Lindenwood
                      10/12-14 Home vs ESU, Washburn

You get the idea.
                      Go Bronchos!

Comment

The Mule fans that want him out, want that because he has gone 3 consecutive seasons without making the NCAA tournament. Only one other Mule coach has missed 3 consecutive seasons since the field expanded from 32 teams, Don Doucette. Doucette made the regional semi's with the team he inherited in his first season and never made the field again. Mule fans are worried it's happening again since Karleskint made the regional semi's with the team he inherited and has not made it back.

The 2016-17 team was regionally ranked for 1 week but then lost at home to Lincoln & Lindenwood and fell out of the rankings. Last year's team was ranked fairly high with a 19-4 record (17-4 against D2 opponents) but lost 6 of the last 7 games to again fall out of the rankings. Many Mule fans discount the first season since he inherited many returners from a national championship team. The Mules have won 32 of the 60 MIAA games in the last 3 seasons. 6 other MIAA teams have won more: Northwest (53), Southern (40), Kearney/Washburn (37) & CentralOK/Hays (34).

Mules fans are unhappy that they have basically had a .500 team in the MIAA for the last 3 seasons. Are we wrong to feel thay way?

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
                          So it basically is a grand total of around 130 miles difference for the whole league (260 round trip) for a one off. But how could this impact traveling partners for many sports, could this distance issue be extended or negated? I don't see a natural fit as only two schools are within 100 miles, although as mentioned it for UCO it is a couple hour drive up I-35 to Wichita. I've noticed that typically UCO basketball played successive games against geographically tied opponents.

ex. Basketball
                          11/30-12/2 at MW,and NW
                          1/20-27 Home vs Pitt, MoSo, NSU
                          2/1-3 at UCM, and SBU
                          2/8-10 Home vs UNK, FH (visited both the next week)
                          2/22-4 Home vs WU & ESU

ex. Women's Soccer
                          9/28-30 at FH, UNK
                          10/5-7 Home vs UCM, Lindenwood
                          10/12-14 Home vs ESU, Washburn

You get the idea.
                          How this would affect travel partners is one of the big question marks. UCM was SBU's travel partner, so how will they juggle this around to make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                            The Mule fans that want him out, want that because he has gone 3 consecutive seasons without making the NCAA tournament. Only one other Mule coach has missed 3 consecutive seasons since the field expanded from 32 teams, Don Doucette. Doucette made the regional semi's with the team he inherited in his first season and never made the field again. Mule fans are worried it's happening again since Karleskint made the regional semi's with the team he inherited and has not made it back.

The 2016-17 team was regionally ranked for 1 week but then lost at home to Lincoln & Lindenwood and fell out of the rankings. Last year's team was ranked fairly high with a 19-4 record (17-4 against D2 opponents) but lost 6 of the last 7 games to again fall out of the rankings. Many Mule fans discount the first season since he inherited many returners from a national championship team. The Mules have won 32 of the 60 MIAA games in the last 3 seasons. 6 other MIAA teams have won more: Northwest (53), Southern (40), Kearney/Washburn (37) & CentralOK/Hays (34).

Mules fans are unhappy that they have basically had a .500 team in the MIAA for the last 3 seasons. Are we wrong to feel thay way?
                            no.

i'd also point out you give a guy "time" to build a program. yer guy has taken one already built & regressed.
                            Go Bearcats!
                            M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Time to revisit this....Benedictine out of Chicago, who was supposed to come into the GLVC next year with SBU, has decided they will remain D3.

That leaves the GLVC at 15 schools, and likely looking to add another member. I don't know anything other than what I've heard, but if I had to speculate I'd say Lindenwood would make a likely target if they're looking to move.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                                Time to revisit this....Benedictine out of Chicago, who was supposed to come into the GLVC next year with SBU, has decided they will remain D3.

That leaves the GLVC at 15 schools, and likely looking to add another member. I don't know anything other than what I've heard, but if I had to speculate I'd say Lindenwood would make a likely target if they're looking to move.
                                If it is true that NSU wants out for football competitiveness reasons and Lindenwood does want to leave for GLVC, the MIAA should just let them both walk simultaneously and forget the buyouts. I know that would be a somewhat quick turnaround for non-con games in weeks 1 & 2, but looking at the Open Dates page, it wouldn't be THAT tough for teams to get it done. And that's without even considering NAIA and FCS options that would be available for several teams.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X