Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaches in the hot-seat

Originally posted by lleachieshusband View Post
    Yes there was ... but unfortunately it was the ticking of a bomb about to implode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ummmmm...it did implode....

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
      With the amount of money and resources NW puts into the FB program, last year (9-3, first round playoff loss) should be the bare minimum. I don't know if his seat is hot but another season like last year or worse could turn it warm.

I don't think it's about NW fans being spoiled but when you have more resources than most (if not all) other D2 programs then there are higher expectations than just making the playoffs. Sure, there will be some tough years with injury and transition from senior-heavy to underclass teams but it should not be the norm. Somebody had the data on here a couple years ago that NW outspent every other D2 program in the country on football. That doesn't come from missing the playoffs or just making the playoffs on a yearly basis.
      You can't trust those numbers. Even the numbers reported for entire athletic budgets are suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
        NW won't crap can any coach unless they get sideways with that "D" Bag Jaz...
        Which coach has been fired under those circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          You can't trust those numbers. Even the numbers reported for entire athletic budgets are suspect.
          Agreed. They may not be exact and some schools may use different formulas but I think it still provides a relative comparison. For some reason I seem to remember NW spent around $3m/year on football and the next closest was around $2.5m but as I said it's been a couple years. I think it was meant to be all-encompassing- salaries, scholarships, travel, equipment, etc. Some schools may have included certain areas that others didn't but it at least provided some perspective. I doubt many schools were over or under-reporting by $1million when the biggest budget was NW around $3m.

Comment

With the amount of money and resources NW puts into the FB program, last year (9-3, first round playoff loss) should be the bare minimum. I don't know if his seat is hot but another season like last year or worse could turn it warm.

I don't think it's about NW fans being spoiled but when you have more resources than most (if not all) other D2 programs then there are higher expectations than just making the playoffs. Sure, there will be some tough years with injury and transition from senior-heavy to underclass teams but it should not be the norm. Somebody had the data on here a couple years ago that NW outspent every other D2 program in the country on football. That doesn't come from missing the playoffs or just making the playoffs on a yearly basis.
            Sounds like the same arguments about 9 - 3 seasons at Nebraska. Look what that got them.
            Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post
              Sounds like the same arguments about 9 - 3 seasons at Nebraska. Look what that got them.
              Thankfully, I'm not a Nebraska fan. :wink:

Comment

Ummmmm...it did implode....

Comment

I don't think the seat gets warm for him unless he has several bad years in a row. There is just so much more context and decision making than his specific record one year or even a couple of years.

Always ask the critical question, if you fire your head coach, who are you getting to replace him? A lot of mediocre programs can get a JAG (just a guy). We can't afford to that, especially if we fire someone for "not meeting expectations" or because "we spent a lot of money"

Rich is the architect and main developer of the very best defenses in D2 in his tenure and statistically some of the best in NW history. Last year's defense gave up zero rushing TDs.....for the whole year. Not one rushing TD. That's not even amazing, it literally doesn't happen. It's so far beyond amazing, I can't even believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post
                    I don't think the seat gets warm for him unless he has several bad years in a row. There is just so much more context and decision making than his specific record one year or even a couple of years.

Always ask the critical question, if you fire your head coach, who are you getting to replace him? A lot of mediocre programs can get a JAG (just a guy). We can't afford to that, especially if we fire someone for "not meeting expectations" or because "we spent a lot of money"

Rich is the architect and main developer of the very best defenses in D2 in his tenure and statistically some of the best in NW history. Last year's defense gave up zero rushing TDs.....for the whole year. Not one rushing TD. That's not even amazing, it literally doesn't happen. It's so far beyond amazing, I can't even believe it.
                    Agree completely (and with some comments you made earlier in the thread). There is no one on the current staff who is ready to take that leap. He is as good as there is in coaching D. The jury is still out on what type of head coach he will be. Is the co-offensive coordinator the right call or a panic decision after one bad year? Was it the players not being good enough or was it Flohr's coaching? Was it a combination? How does he handle the pressure and weight of being "the guy" making decisions? I think the pressure got to him in some situations last year (on and off the field). I think this year will tell a lot about his head coaching potential. Did he learn from Year 1 and will he push the right buttons or is there another year of barely making the playoffs (or worse)?

Comment

The only way Wright's seat gets hot is if he sets it on fire himself....on the way out the door to a bigger/better offer from a D1 program. I don't think there's a better job in D2 than HC at NW.

Comment

I don't think NW struggles on offense last year the way they did with AD as HC. RW is a great defensive coach but he now has 2 sides to deal with . We'll see. Last year was pretty bad for NW and offensively they looked lost.

I hope RW is D2s version of Herm Edwards.

Comment

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post
                          Well it took almost 20 years, but they finally got them a pretty damn good coach

Comment

Originally posted by PSR View Post
                            I don't think NW struggles on offense last year the way they did with AD as HC. RW is a great defensive coach but he now has 2 sides to deal with . We'll see. Last year was pretty bad for NW and offensively they looked lost.

I hope RW is D2s version of Herm Edwards.
                            He really does not deal with the two sides, yes he is the HC, but he also turns those reins over to his co-offensive coordinators. I have to agree that last year, NW on O was completely lost. The one thing that AD exceled at, at being a HC was game planning.

Comment

Originally posted by kccatfan View Post
                              The only way Wright's seat gets hot is if he sets it on fire himself....on the way out the door to a bigger/better offer from a D1 program. I don't think there's a better job in D2 than HC at NW.
                              West Florida, Grand Valley, maybe Pitt would be right up there. I think a couple of the Texas schools could also make a case for being great jobs.

As far as RW (gosh i feel like a bearcat fan now because IUIFE which of course stands for I Use Initials For Everything) we will see if there is a significant leap between year 1 and year 2 as a HC. He might be a defensive wizard and able to make a lot more money with a lot less grief for his family in D1 but that doesn't make him a good head coach. Beck has a national championship on his resume and I'm still not sold on him as a great or even good head coach. The next two years will tell for both coaches.. I think Beck is an offensive genius but just because you are good on one side of the ball doesn't mean you can run an entire program.
                              Last edited by Wallst; 08-10-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

He really does not deal with the two sides, yes he is the HC, but he also turns those reins over to his co-offensive coordinators. I have to agree that last year, NW on O was completely lost. The one thing that AD exceled at, at being a HC was game planning.
                                When I think of reins I think of 2 reins. Are there more than 2 when you have co-coordinators? Does each one get a separate set for a total of 4 or can you do it with two if they are lined up in a row? Does each co-coordinator then hand off his sets of reins to the position coaches? Has anyone tripped on all these reins yet? This sounds like an OSHA issue waiting to happen.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X