Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSSU @ UNK

http://mssulions.com/documents/2018/8/29/18fbgmnotes_unk.pdf

Interesting nugget from the MSSU 2-Deep: Last season, there were 15 freshmen/redshirt freshmen who were either starting or the first man off the bench at their position. In week one this year, there are just five. Of those five, four are true freshman but one is the backup long snapper.

I think Southern has a chance to be much better running the ball this year with so much experience on the OL and three running backs they feel good about (Batie, James, Coleman if he's healthy). But, UNK has a very solid run defense. Denver Johnson said as far back as media day that the situation on defense is about as rough as you can ask for in week one: DC didn't come in until after spring ball so he is still installing his system, long bus ride, quirky option-style offense. But, the defensive line should be better and there are a couple of proven linebackers behind them.

I think Southern has the talent to hang with UNK (16-6 game last year) and this is a pretty good measuring stick game to start the year, in my opinion.

I really want MSSU to work it's way out to a big enough lead to force UNK to throw. First, because (obviously) I want MSSU to win and I'm not sure how strong the Loper passing game is. But also, because I am curious about the secondary. There are a couple of newcomers back there and some guys who didn't start last year stepping up into starting roles.

Re: MSSU @ UNK

I think this could be a close game.

Comment

I think I heard the MSSU coach say it would be midseason before the team understood the new defense. That doesn't bode well, especially when they are wrapping their heads around that and have to step away from it to prepare for an option team.

Comment

Originally posted by NewmanAndDuquesne View Post
        http://mssulions.com/documents/2018/8/29/18fbgmnotes_unk.pdf

Interesting nugget from the MSSU 2-Deep: Last season, there were 15 freshmen/redshirt freshmen who were either starting or the first man off the bench at their position. In week one this year, there are just five. Of those five, four are true freshman but one is the backup long snapper.

I think Southern has a chance to be much better running the ball this year with so much experience on the OL and three running backs they feel good about (Batie, James, Coleman if he's healthy). But, UNK has a very solid run defense. Denver Johnson said as far back as media day that the situation on defense is about as rough as you can ask for in week one: DC didn't come in until after spring ball so he is still installing his system, long bus ride, quirky option-style offense. But, the defensive line should be better and there are a couple of proven linebackers behind them.

I think Southern has the talent to hang with UNK (16-6 game last year) and this is a pretty good measuring stick game to start the year, in my opinion.

I really want MSSU to work it's way out to a big enough lead to force UNK to throw. First, because (obviously) I want MSSU to win and I'm not sure how strong the Loper passing game is. But also, because I am curious about the secondary. There are a couple of newcomers back there and some guys who didn't start last year stepping up into starting roles.
        I think the unknown players and offensive and defensive schemes will help the Lions early. Guessing the Lopers don't know what to really game plan for. But UNK did run for 230 yards last year in Joplin and it would appear they'll be stronger in that area this fall (entire line back, top back returns). If Mo So can't stop the run, gonna being a long night

Comment

UNK game notes: https://lopers.com/news/2018/8/29/fo...1-0-again.aspx

Kearney Hub preview: https://www.kearneyhub.com/sports/ga...14d943be4.html

Comment

What is going on with Roc Robbins? Don't see him on the 2-deep, and noticed he was in a separate workout Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
              What is going on with Roc Robbins? Don't see him on the 2-deep, and noticed he was in a separate workout Saturday night.
              Hamstring injury. Not available until next week at the earliest.

Comment

With this game I don't know what to expect. UNK does return the offensive line which I think can be huge. I feel like this game is a toss up if the UNK doesn't take over. I am hoping they do what they are capable of.
                UNK Loper Football - 32 Conference Titles, 5 NCAA Playoff Appearances, 2 Harlon Hill Runner-Ups

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                  I think I heard the MSSU coach say it would be midseason before the team understood the new defense. That doesn't bode well, especially when they are wrapping their heads around that and have to step away from it to prepare for an option team.
                  Go Bearcats!
                  M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Yeah I didn't mean they would all be facing the wrong direction or show up with their jockstraps on the outside of their pants, or anything. Just that they had a lot of learning to do in that new defense.

Comment

I feel as though the game tonight could be a tight one.

If the new D coordinator can get these guys on D playing with some confidence it can go a long way for the rest of the season. Hopefully they spent a lot of time on assignments.

Will be interesting to see how the new QB does....Alot of returning guys for Southern who got good game experience....but might still be a year away....which is not good.

Comment

Lopers up 7-0 6min left in the 1st q

Comment

Lopers score again 14-0

Comment

Lopers up 17-0 9 left in the 2nd quarter

Comment

Lopers score again 24-0