X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWMSU vs UCO GAME THREAD

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    The 3rd and 20 conversion by UCO late in 4th on QB keeper was a dagger. NW was shuffling players in and out almost to snap. Again, microcosm of a bad NW night.
    I wasn't saying it was one sided, but the PI calls did extend drives. At least 3 of the PI/Holding were on 3rd downs where we were getting off the field. They probably were legit (I was listening on the radio for some of it, so couldn't see). On a night where we were struggling and UCO was calling a great game, we couldn't afford these mistakes.

The offense had it's struggles and that hurt the defense, but the defense also could not get off the field. If we can't cover better, we the D will be on the field a ton the rest of the season.

I do think not enough credit is going to the UCO QB, that kid is good. Good decisions, big, and can run.

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post
      I wasn't saying it was one sided, but the PI calls did extend drives. At least 3 of the PI/Holding were on 3rd downs where we were getting off the field. They probably were legit (I was listening on the radio for some of it, so couldn't see). On a night where we were struggling and UCO was calling a great game, we couldn't afford these mistakes.

The offense had it's struggles and that hurt the defense, but the defense also could not get off the field. If we can't cover better, we the D will be on the field a ton the rest of the season.

I do think not enough credit is going to the UCO QB, that kid is good. Good decisions, big, and can run.
      I had someone with close coaching ties to the MIAA message me on Sunday. He agreed with my point on the offense was really letting the D down. The Defense has it's faults but with the offense not moving the ball it was giving UCO's offense more chances and more possessions. So if NW moved the ball on half the drives, all of a sudden instead of 9 possessions, UCO has 5 possessions, which cuts down on chances to score and would of likely taken at least 7 off the board for UCO. Defense got worked over, at the same time offense didn't do anything to help the defense out. UCO got 14 possessions in the game. One other thing, UCO did this great. The refs weren't allowing anything down the sidelines with the ball in the air. Both teams got some questionable PI calls. If I have those refs again, I toss those passes as it seemed like more time than not they threw a flag on them. If they are going to give you free 15 or if you catch it it's a win win.

Comment

One thing I did notice, Wright had happy feet on a lot of his throws, thus the low ones. Some of that was caused by the D, but more times it was a fact that the game was too fast for him at times. That is youth and that can be corrected in practice. All part of a young QB. He will be great in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
          I would agree with that. I see a lot of parity in the league.
          And I hope the trend continues. FHSU vs SouthMo was a complete waste of time. There is no honor on beating down a weakened opponent. You learn nothing from it. And the SouthMo kids are just getting bashed around for no good reason.

I would love to be in a conference where any team can beat any other on their day.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
            I would agree with that. I see a lot of parity in the league.
            wait. i mentioned parity a couple of years ago and was assured there was no parity in d2....or did you just mean this year?

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
              I had someone with close coaching ties to the MIAA message me on Sunday. He agreed with my point on the offense was really letting the D down. The Defense has it's faults but with the offense not moving the ball it was giving UCO's offense more chances and more possessions. So if NW moved the ball on half the drives, all of a sudden instead of 9 possessions, UCO has 5 possessions, which cuts down on chances to score and would of likely taken at least 7 off the board for UCO. Defense got worked over, at the same time offense didn't do anything to help the defense out. UCO got 14 possessions in the game. One other thing, UCO did this great. The refs weren't allowing anything down the sidelines with the ball in the air. Both teams got some questionable PI calls. If I have those refs again, I toss those passes as it seemed like more time than not they threw a flag on them. If they are going to give you free 15 or if you catch it it's a win win.
              I'm glad you got that straightened out...
              I don't think anybody is disputing that an offense can help the defense by staying on the field. The issue Saturday night was that we were down 14 points before that really should of been an issue for our defense. We were just flat outplayed... defensively too. You can't look at that game and say the defense played well when they didn't. Yes, if the offense had more 10-12 play drives the other team can't move the ball. Duh. As Ian said, everyone recognized NW's defense last year as one of if not the best in D2 along side an absolutely inept offense. A defense can still play well when the offense is meddling... that didn't happen Saturday. Not saying it can't be better going forward, and we should hope Wright's play was an aberration, but we have to give credit to the game UCO played... we kind of looked overmatched for much of the game. There's definitely work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
                I'm glad you got that straightened out...
                I don't think anybody is disputing that an offense can help the defense by staying on the field. The issue Saturday night was that we were down 14 points before that really should of been an issue for our defense. We were just flat outplayed... defensively too. You can't look at that game and say the defense played well when they didn't. Yes, if the offense had more 10-12 play drives the other team can't move the ball. Duh. As Ian said, everyone recognized NW's defense last year as one of if not the best in D2 along side an absolutely inept offense. A defense can still play well when the offense is meddling... that didn't happen Saturday. Not saying it can't be better going forward, and we should hope Wright's play was an aberration, but we have to give credit to the game UCO played... we kind of looked overmatched for much of the game. There's definitely work to do.
                I still stand by the loss was more on the offensive side of the ball. Yes the D gave up 14 points in the first half. Now think about a normal NW offense, how often you do see less than 14 point on their side for a half? Just saying even matching or one score and a fg and you give yourself a punchers chance. They held UCO to 14 points and 146 yards of offense at half. Not great but not end of the world with how the NW offense plays. Last time NW offense scored less than 3 points on offense at half... (8/27/2009 against ACU.) They did only have 3 at half against FHSU last year. Now if you go further and look at games where NW has scored less than 7 points at half the win % for them drops drastically.

Will say I do agree penalties were out of hand, but I also think that if you watch most games they don't call those most games. The 2nd one of Lane was absolute garbage of a call. Then the one in 4th quarter against UCO was another garbage call that wouldn't be called on 9 out of 10 games. That drive ended up having 3 PI/Holding calls on the 2nd score. 7 total PI/Holding calls on first half alone. 13 total for the game.
                Last edited by JR Chaney; 09-24-2018, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I still stand by the loss was more on the offensive side of the ball. Yes the D gave up 14 points in the first half. Now think about a normal NW offense, how often you do see less than 14 point on their side for a half? Just saying even matching or one score and a fg and you give yourself a punchers chance. They held UCO to 14 points and 146 yards of offense at half. Not great but not end of the world with how the NW offense plays.

Will say I do agree penalties were out of hand, but I also think that if you watch most games they don't call those most games. The 2nd one of Lane was absolute garbage of a call. Then the one in 4th quarter against UCO was another garbage call that wouldn't be called on 9 out of 10 games. That drive ended up having 3 PI/Holding calls on the 2nd score. 7 total PI/Holding calls on first half alone. 13 total for the game.
                  almost everyone of those PIs had either number 1 or frodo baggins holding on to the back of the jersey as the wr is jetting past him...go look at film if you can find it. i went back and watched it after i saw all the nw fans complaining about it. we had 30 put on us for holding as well

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
                    almost everyone of those PIs had either number 1 or frodo baggins holding on to the back of the jersey as the wr is jetting past him...go look at film if you can find it. i went back and watched it after i saw all the nw fans complaining about it. we had 30 put on us for holding as well
                    A. The 2nd one of Lane he was making a play for the ball that was under-thrown. Hard to be hanging on when he was going different direction than WR, who came back to fight for the ball. There wasn't any hanging.. I just went back to watch on MIAA network. 1:20:24 on the video.
                    B. I even said UCO got hosed on PI calls. In the sentence that said "Then the one in 4th quarter against UCO was another garbage call that wouldn't be called on 9 out of 10 games."
                    Last edited by JR Chaney; 09-24-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

A. The 2nd one of Lane he was making a play for the ball that was under-thrown. Hard to be hanging on when he was going different direction than WR, who came back to fight for the ball.
                      B. I even said UCO got hosed on PI calls. In the sentence that said "Then the one in 4th quarter against UCO was another garbage call that wouldn't be called on 9 out of 10 games."
                      i hear...im just saying several of those
                      PIs were legit...i didnt say all of them

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
                        i hear...im just saying several of those
                        PIs were legit...i didnt say all of them
                        There was some. When you have 13 total for the game there was some iffy ones. Refs were keeping it very little contact allowed on downfield. The only one I was complaining about against NW was the 2nd one on Lane. I'm not saying they weren't legit ones. Honestly it's like holding on the line, if you look hard enough you'll see holds every play. Refs just usually allow a bit of play in throwing the flags.

Comment

There was some. When you have 13 total for the game there was some iffy ones. Refs were keeping it very little contact allowed on downfield. The only one I was complaining about against NW was the 2nd one on Lane. I'm not saying they weren't legit ones. Honestly it's like holding on the line, if you look hard enough you'll see holds every play. Refs just usually allow a bit of play in throwing the flags.
                          true

Comment

I think holding behind the line and PI/Defensive holding are areas the league refs have decided to focus on this season. AT least that's the way it seems to me.

Comment

I still stand by the loss was more on the offensive side of the ball. Yes the D gave up 14 points in the first half. Now think about a normal NW offense, how often you do see less than 14 point on their side for a half? Just saying even matching or one score and a fg and you give yourself a punchers chance. They held UCO to 14 points and 146 yards of offense at half. Not great but not end of the world with how the NW offense plays. Last time NW offense scored less than 3 points on offense at half... (8/27/2009 against ACU.) They did only have 3 at half against FHSU last year. Now if you go further and look at games where NW has scored less than 7 points at half the win % for them drops drastically.

The smartass in me wants to remind you that NW scored less than 14 points in the 1st half of 6 games last year, and its an even greater number if you include the second half, so there's that....

We can agree to disagree I guess. Actually, I don't know that we're really disagreeing that much. The offense was awful for most of the game... looked a lot like it did last year, and we won't win many games against good opponents like that. I agree, it does put more pressure on the defense and you're not incorrect in saying that if we had answered one of their touchdowns, it may have changed the way the rest of the game was played out. The difference in what I'm saying is that I'm not putting on the green colored glasses to look at the defense and going to say that they played well when they didn't. It could be worse for sure, but we've seen the same thing every week up to this point... UCO just had a quarterback who played well enough to expose it. We're not seeing a bunch of 3rd and longs like we're used to and even when we do, we're very susceptible to the big play right now. Our secondary coverage is sketchy anyway, but we're not getting pressure on the quarterback either, so it makes that fact even more prevalent. This is not a typical Northwest defense. I don't know if I've ever seen as many long touchdowns against a Northwest defense as I have this year... again if there's pressure on the quarterback, those routes don't have time to develop, but we see guys running open all over the field. I don't think it's an overreaction to say our defense didn't play well when there are obvious shortcomings. I'm not trying to say they're horrible either, nor were they on Saturday... we're in agreement, I think, that the offense is going to have to provide some balance for this team to be successful, because this defense can't carry us like some we've had in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
                                The smartass in me wants to remind you that NW scored less than 14 points in the 1st half of 6 games last year, and its an even greater number if you include the second half, so there's that....

We can agree to disagree I guess. Actually, I don't know that we're really disagreeing that much. The offense was awful for most of the game... looked a lot like it did last year, and we won't win many games against good opponents like that. I agree, it does put more pressure on the defense and you're not incorrect in saying that if we had answered one of their touchdowns, it may have changed the way the rest of the game was played out. The difference in what I'm saying is that I'm not putting on the green colored glasses to look at the defense and going to say that they played well when they didn't. It could be worse for sure, but we've seen the same thing every week up to this point... UCO just had a quarterback who played well enough to expose it. We're not seeing a bunch of 3rd and longs like we're used to and even when we do, we're very susceptible to the big play right now. Our secondary coverage is sketchy anyway, but we're not getting pressure on the quarterback either, so it makes that fact even more prevalent. This is not a typical Northwest defense. I don't know if I've ever seen as many long touchdowns against a Northwest defense as I have this year... again if there's pressure on the quarterback, those routes don't have time to develop, but we see guys running open all over the field. I don't think it's an overreaction to say our defense didn't play well when there are obvious shortcomings. I'm not trying to say they're horrible either, nor were they on Saturday... we're in agreement, I think, that the offense is going to have to provide some balance for this team to be successful, because this defense can't carry us like some we've had in the past.
                                Say NW scores 10 or even 7 in the first half. So instead of a TD and a score they just need a FG where they had a drive end on the 2 yard line?

The defense isn't getting the pressure as much as past but they did lead the MIAA in tackles for a loss and was 2nd in the MIAA in sacks. The pressure is there at times, its just not consistent. I do think we are more in agreement than it seems. Also I've said that safety play at NW this year hasn't been spectacular. Losing Gassman has given a noticeable drop off in that area.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X