Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWMSU vs PSU GAME THREAD --- Oct. 6th, 2018

Originally posted by PSR View Post
    There wasn't anything magical about that game. NW was simply better.

However NW isn't near the team of a few years ago. Last years team and this years team have been teams I've come away from the game thinking they don't have a shot at the NC. NW has slipped back quiet a bit.
    Of course they are not the team they were a few years ago. Those kind of teams are something you strive for and may never get back to. Your statement doesn't say much about your team. If your talk makes you feel better, great.

Comment

• Comment

You all are still sensitive.

I didn't say he couldn't run between the tackles, I said I would like to see what he could do if he "had" to run between the tackles. As I said, he had the edge and he did what he should have done, which means he is a good back. With his speed and he looked thick as well I bet he could wear out a defense. But I wouldn't know since he didn't have to, as the edge was turned in on the defense pretty much most of the game.

I just remember the kid getting the ball and not being touched until he was 30+ yards down the field.
        And you aren't reading what NW fans are posting. You want to see him run between tackles. 6 games into season, he can run between tackles just fine. If you don't believe go watch some archived video if available. Believe what NW fans are posting about him or not. If don't, go get the evidence yourself.

Strayhorn probably won't win race to endzone. But he's thick and low center of gravity. He's better than what we've had for awhile. Caldwell is hurt and I think he's still trying to get his game legs. If NW is fortunate to get into PO's, Caldwell will be valuable.
        '
        Last edited by CatFan88; 10-07-2018, 09:14 AM.
        Go Hounds!
        B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
        Cyclone Power
        ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

There wasn't anything magical about that game. NW was simply better.

However NW isn't near the team of a few years ago. Last years team and this years team have been teams I've come away from the game thinking they don't have a shot at the NC. NW has slipped back quiet a bit.
          First off PSR this isn't directed specifically at you, you just happen to be the latest person to talk about the drop off at NW.
          Is that because the NWMSU teams in 2015 and 2016 were two of the best to ever in D2 so anything less is going to have to be a drop off? Watching the title games between Commerce and West Florida last year and Pueblo and Mankato in 2014 didn't impress me the way those two years of Bearcat teams did.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
            First off PSR this isn't directed specifically at you, you just happen to be the latest person to talk about the drop off at NW.
            Is that because the NWMSU teams in 2015 and 2016 were two of the best to ever in D2 so anything less is going to have to be a drop off? Watching the title games between Commerce and West Florida last year and Pueblo and Mankato in 2014 didn't impress me the way those two years of Bearcat teams did.
            I don't think the drop off is just NW. There's clearly a drop off in the MIAA and nationally. I honestly don't think the MIAA has a top 10 team. That's anecdotal and based solely on what I've watched and experienced in the past. I was asked yesterday to name 10 teams I thought were better than NW. I could only come up with maybe 8. In the past, I would say the top 10 in D2 were the top 10 and there was a clear drop off after that. That mark may have narrowed to top 5-7 or 8 and then clear drop off?
            Go Hounds!
            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
            Cyclone Power
            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

So that is what a team looks like without a QB. JRod should be the 3rd string and we just need to go with Bradbury and Harmon the rest of the year. I appreciate him trying to play through his shoulder injury but it is something with him every week. In his career I don't think he as played 3 straight games without being injured. His throws were into the ground, at the feet or just off. I feel sorry for him, wish he could have had a career without his body just getting beat up.

The center needs to be benched. 5 false starts on him. 5!

How many shifts does this offense has to do in order to get in formation. On 1 play we shifted 4 times! Then on several plays our RBs didn't know where to line up and on a couple of plays our slot WRs were looking at the QB not knowing where to go. It looked like we didn't practice all week. It looked as if this was our first game and we hadn't practiced yet. Pitiful. Just pitiful.

PP, I think I'm with you. Wiemers should have left when Rampy left. This offense has looked bad all year but today they looked unprepared and clueless. Stop all the shifting, as it is not confusing the defense but our own offense, and just line up and snap the ball.

People will claim the defense was left out to dry but they didn't have a good game. You have the offense pinned inside the 10 and you give up big play after big play. First a run, then another run, then a pass. You have to keep the offense from getting out of that position and punt to give your offense good field position. Missed tackles and really poor effort for much of the game. I don't think they were ready either, or they have been listening to all the accolades and got big headed. At least that is how their play looked.

As I have said over the last few years.....Welcome to Tim Beck football. This is who we are with him as a head coach. 9 years now and nothing has changed. His interview after halftime was a joke. "We have had the defense on the field too much and have too many penalties. We need to convert on 3rd down and not have our defense on the field so much." Really? You think?

NW....I wouldn't gloat too much. You didn't look very good yourself. This game should have looked like the game in 2016 when if NW wanted to they could have scored 100. The Bearcat defense has come back quite a bit to the pack. Solid but nothing like it has been the last many years. I don't see that your QB is going to be special either. I know he is a RS Freshman but his arm isn't that strong and he throws a duck. Caldwell is not very good. Your #3 has some speed but he didn't have to do much as the edge was pretty much cleaned up for him. I think he had 3 runs over 30? Nice back would like to see what he could do if he had to run between tackles.

MIAA doesn't have a NC contender from what I have seen. I think NW will win out but it will be one of the weaker PO teams they will field.

Refs sucked. The PI the first series in the endzone on Pitt was a pathetic call. As were 2 that were called on NW. If they are PI, then how can a DB play pass defense? I hope there is something in place with the conference where coaches could complain and have film watched on some of these calls for the conference to correct.

Season is all but over for Pitt State. I think there are 3 to 4 more losses in the future for them. But as usually Tim isn't going anywhere.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                  I don't think the drop off is just NW. There's clearly a drop off in the MIAA and nationally. I honestly don't think the MIAA has a top 10 team. That's anecdotal and based solely on what I've watched and experienced in the past. I was asked yesterday to name 10 teams I thought were better than NW. I could only come up with maybe 8. In the past, I would say the top 10 in D2 were the top 10 and there was a clear drop off after that. That mark may have narrowed to top 5-7 or 8 and then clear drop off?

Comment

Most of us know that NW is due (or long overdue) to level off. As I mentioned earlier, if I had to choose the best NW team of all time, I would pick the 2016 every time. They won by an average of at least 33 ppg and their closest game was against Ferris in the Semi-Finals. How do you exceed those standards when the bar was set as high as it was two years ago?

Comment

NW has played at such a high level it would be unrealistic to think it would continue to happen. The NW teams from late 2000s until last year I would watch them and see certain types of players that I just didn't see on any other D2 team. They would have some elite talent at several different positions that other teams didn't have and have more in number than other teams had. Another team might have a player or two but NW usually had those numbers on each side of the ball. Not so the last couple of years. They have a solid team but not a team I feel like will just out talent everybody else. Good defensive teams will be able to beat NW as I don't think their offense is close to being exceptional. The defense is solid but I didn't see dominance from them. Pitt basically played QBless yesterday and at times still moved the ball.

Comment

Regarding Strayhorn(#3), he can block too! Here he is cutting down a blitzing LB. RB's at NW don't play until they can perform all of their assignments.

Running inside vs Emporia

Last edited by NW Normal; 10-07-2018, 10:51 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Last edited by GorillaTeacher; 10-07-2018, 11:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                              Regarding Strayhorn(#3), he can block too! Here he is cutting down a blitzing LB. RB's at NW don't play until they can perform all of their assignments.-
                              Damn fine pics. Did you take them?
                              <>

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
                                Throw VSU into that mix as well.

And consider West Florida and West Georgia as well. GSC is very strong this year.
                                <>

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X